What's new

R7800 data corruption when in Accesspoint mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's the only reason why i don't use my R7800 as use a Raspberry Pi as a Plex server and when moving files over to the drive plugged into the Pi i see Received (RX) errors but when i use my Linksys 1900ACS everything is fine not a single error

Are we still seeing this as in issue in stock 1.0.2.68 when not using WAN port? Some reports of it happening even in router mode.

@e38BimmerFN did you ever get a response from NG regarding your submission?

Last edited:
Briefly my experience using the R7800 in AP mode connected through its WAN port: I started with firmware v1.0.2.76SF throughout v1.0.2.79SF and I have never ever experienced corrupted files - and I transfer to/from my NAS on a daily basis...

Two years later, NetGear fixed it.
Code:
Security Fixes:

Fixes security issues.
For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

Fixes the issue where if the router is in AP mode, some files become corrupted during file transfer between two wireless clients.
Fixes the issue where some devices disappear from the attached device list in the router web interface and Nighthawk app.
Fixes minor bugs
Download Link: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7800/R7800-V1.0.2.74.zip

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7800.aspx#docs.

Yes, it's a bit late for a data corruption issue fix...

Their fix is similar to the kamoj add-on one from last April:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-5-1-beta-testing-poll.62315/post-572679

And as @Voxel say: There were problems also for wired clients.

Also in this version Netgear added setting of time to build-time at early boot,
something Kamoj/Voxel had for years by now.
Guess they needed it for the certificate handling in the 2 new partitions they have added.
So more interesting MTD partitions and more nand flash discussions I guess.

Ironically, I just bought a second R7800 in a recent A***n Sale, and though setup was easy and straightforward, almost the first thing I did revealed this file corruption issue -- copying a large file to a USB-attached disc via Ethernet>'AP R7800'>'Primary R7800 Router'>USB. This crashes with an 'Unexpected Error' message in Directory Opus 12. It was quite erratic, as to when it would happen - and of course never happened when I just had the one R7800 (via Wireless). Nor did it happen before or since with other network-connected drives (on two Nvidia Shields around the house). Both R7800s are/were on Voxel 80.

Glad for the work-around, which is to connect the AP via a non-WAN port; but then the AP doesn't show as an Attached Device...

Hopefully the new Netgear firmware fix will work its magical way to us in Voxel's next firmware :)

By the way, I'm really glad I went for the second R7800, rather than going for WiFi 6 - I am getting full allotted broadband speeds now (350MB+) via the AP. WiFi 6 still seems rather incomplete in the firmwares (MU-MIMO), and is about to change again with WiFi 6E; and doesn't show any improvement over AC for non-AX devices...

Last edited:
You wouldn't get much benefit out of WiFi 6 or 6E even with you have 350Mb ISP services. Most benefit would be seen with 600Mpbs - 1Gb ISP services. And you have client side supporting devices as well.

Hello all has anyone done any tests with the latest firmware to see if it's been really fixed ?

Think i did everything right, PC connected to Router via WiFi 5ghz and Raspberry Pi 4 connected to Router via Ethernet, Raspberry Pi 4 has two USB hard drives connected shared via a Samba Share and got below which isn't showing any errors

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 110
That's fine but you should check the resulting files through checksum etc.
(The TCP transmission statistics can contains a lot of errors that does not affect the resulting files - due to retransmission.)
Think i did everything right, PC connected to Router via WiFi 5ghz and Raspberry Pi 4 connected to Router via Ethernet, Raspberry Pi 4 has two USB hard drives connected shared via a Samba Share and got below which isn't showing any errors

That's fine but you should check the resulting files through checksum etc.
(The TCP transmission statistics can contains a lot of errors that does not affect the resulting files - due to retransmission.)

Hello is that an easy thing to do as i'm a bit of a plum when it comes to these things, would it be as easy as making a checksum from the file then say copying to shared folder then copying it back to PC and checking

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!