What's new

R7800 dns setting for the lan dhcp server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

To be able to help you (and the community) I must ask you to consider to be more helpful :oops:.
That means you have to do some logging as indicated in:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-dns-setting-for-the-lan-dhcp-server.55802/#post-477102

Other info that could be of help:
  1. Have you installed the Kamoj add-on?
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...800-x4s-and-r9000-x10-temperatures-a-o.55063/
    If so please can you tell what is your routers "HW_ID" ?

2. What is the manufacturing date of the router?

3. What messages do you get in the system log when disconnecting?

4. Is the wifi "uptime" in router statistics affected when you have disconnects?

@kamoj @Voxel @W1lliam
After your recommendations I updated to Voxels R7800-V1.0.2.50SF because that was the equivalent of the stock NG 1.0.2.46 firmware but I started having constant Wifi dropouts both on my 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. I then updated to Voxel's latest R7800-V1.0.2.64SF FW and still experienced Wifi dropouts so I hard reset the router and configured everything again but sadly I am still experiencing dropouts the Wifi just disappears from my devices and reappears after around 15 secs. I have disabled QoS and HT160 but kept MuMimo enabled , on my stock FW I had all these 3 enabled since I have Intel's 9260 wifi modules in my desktop and laptop systems.

I tried pinging google.com in my terminal thinking I could keep the connection alive by constant pings but this does not help and the wifi just drops. On a side note my Lan connection to the router is stable and experiences no connection issues. Any help would be appreciated.

You can try in addition mtd erase netgear command and reinstall the fw. I recall it helped in my caac.

Yeah. I do recommend this procedure. There could be some problems when changing stock->dd-wrt->stock or stock->stock-with-changed-qca-drivers... To recover Wi-Fi instability it is recommended to follow percy3 advice.

Voxel.

You can try in addition mtd erase netgear command and reinstall the fw. I recall it helped in my caac.
@percy3 I cannot thank you enough "mtd erase netgear" + reinstalling voxels 64SF did resolve my issue to a large extent. My router has been up for 4 days and in this time I have lost my Wifi 5-10 times, again this is what I have noticed when using Wifi when I am home. This is so much better than loosing connection every 5-10 mins.

That is my experience as well. My WiFi devices lose connection 1-2 times / 24 hours.

That downtime is not shown in the WiFi Statistics uptime though, so it's not the whole WiFi that goes down.
Only devices that get disconnected and soon connected again.
I can see it in the systemlog and one of my cameras push a notice to me once connected again.

Sorry, but I don't think it's worth my time to chase this problem down.
But if we help together maybe we can collect information over time to understand what is happening.

(I have tried using fixed IP, and fixed ARP for the camera, but it still disconnects a minute or so every 10-12 hours...)

@percy3...My router has been up for 4 days and in this time I have lost my Wifi 5-10 times...

Quick suggestions/questions for possibly resolving these issues.

Has anyone tried 'forgetting' their network and rebooting the affected devices and then re-associating them again?

Has anyone tried using a brand new SSID and making sure that it is at least 8 characters long with no spaces, special characters dashes or underscores (or smiley faces!) in both the SSID and the password?

I'm using smart connect feature and in my case the recent issue was only with some Intel cards.
Setting preference to 5ghz in windows properties solved it.

That is my experience as well. My WiFi devices lose connection 1-2 times / 24 hours.

That downtime is not shown in the WiFi Statistics uptime though, so it's not the whole WiFi that goes down.
Only devices that get disconnected and soon connected again.
I can see it in the systemlog and one of my cameras push a notice to me once connected again.

Sorry, but I don't think it's worth my time to chase this problem down.
But if we help together maybe we can collect information over time to understand what is happening.

(I have tried using fixed IP, and fixed ARP for the camera, but it still disconnects a minute or so every 10-12 hours...)

I'm using smart connect feature and in my case the recent issue was only with some Intel cards.
Setting preference to 5ghz in windows properties solved it.

I have the Intel 9260 Wifi cards in my laptop and desktop systems. I have disabled the smart connect feature, I dont remember seeing this option with the stock 1.1.46 FW. I had a slew of options enabled in the stock FW before I started having issues after updating to Voxel's FW like HT160 enabled, beam forming enabled , Mu-Mimo enabled and QoS enabled, do you have these options enabled as well on your current FW?

I have following WiFi options enabled:
Region: Europe
Enable Smart Connect
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
Channel: Auto
Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable 11k
HT160 _disabled_

I have the Intel 9260 Wifi cards in my laptop and desktop systems. I have disabled the smart connect feature, I dont remember seeing this option with the stock 1.1.46 FW. I had a slew of options enabled in the stock FW before I started having issues after updating to Voxel's FW like HT160 enabled, beam forming enabled , Mu-Mimo enabled and QoS enabled, do you have these options enabled as well on your current FW?

Good idea would be to play with 11k option first.
I have following WiFi options enabled:
Region: Europe
Enable Smart Connect
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
Channel: Auto
Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable 11k
HT160 _disabled_

Good idea would be to play with 11k option first.

Playing with those options did nothing to make the disconnecting issue better, my router has been up for 6+ days and my wifi still disconnects like 2-3 times a day.

However here are some things I observed when playing with those options:
* Smart connect enabled : Through put fell by 8Mbps.
* 20/40 Mhz coexistense was enabled by default and was enabled in my stock FW too so I did not change it but changing this to 20 or 20/40 Mhz co-existence did nothing for wifi disconnect issue.
* Channel was set to Auto, through put or wifi disconnect issue were unaffected.
* Disabled beam forming - this option increased my throughput by 5-7Mbps ( Will report back about the Wifi disconnect issue with this option disabled)
* Disabled Mu-Mimo - I did not notice any throughput difference with this enabled or disabled ( Will report back about the Wifi disconnect issue with this option disabled)
* Disabled 11k (through the debug menu) - throughput remained the same ( Will report back about the Wifi disconnect issue with this option disabled)
* HT160 disabled - Throughput increased but Wifi disconnect issue was still present

I tested throughput using speedtest.net and ran the test for 5 times and took an average.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!