What's new

R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.36

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3.6.25 is currently EOL, that's why it makes no real sense for manufacturers to switch to it. It'd be like upgrading from Windows XP to Vindows Vista.

Interesting...

Broken link in NETGEAR download page (File not found).

But could be downloaded from here:

ftp://updates1.netgear.com/r7800/ww/R7800-V1.0.2.36.img

Could somebody check: seems problems with large files. I failed to copy file with size more then 2GB. Checked with NTFS and EXT4 file systems. Maybe it is only problem with my router... Or I could not set some options (checkboxes)?

Or it is the same problem as with R9000 beta:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-2-106/td-p/1356180

Voxel.

Well I unfortunately gave the "Netgear R7800-V1.0.2.36" firmware a try and found it broke Readyshare with my WD 1TB eSATA drive connected to my R7800. Using Macrium Reflect I was unable to make a backup of my HD, kept getting a disk out of space error. When I reverted back to Voxel 1.0.2.37SF, Readyshare works correctly allowing me to make a HD backup with Macrium Reflect. Netgear must have a bug in the "R7800-V1.0.2.36" software.

Lesson learned, leave Voxel's excellent R7800 firmware installed...

3.6.25 is currently EOL, that's why it makes no real sense for manufacturers to switch to it. It'd be like upgrading from Windows XP to Vindows Vista.

EOL status for 3.0.24 used in the all previous stock versions was set yet in 2009. But EOL’ 3.6.25 is still used in all OpenWRT/DD-WRT/LEDE (and even in your firmware ;)). So IMO it had no sense to start revolution in single package having out-of-date other packages. I am not sure even that this problem is exactly in Samba4 used in this 1.0.2.36 but not in e.g. old uClibc (2012) or in other third-party package used by Samba4. Evolution, but not revolution.

IMHO.

Voxel.

EOL status for 3.0.24 used in the all previous stock versions was set yet in 2009. But EOL’ 3.6.25 is still used in all OpenWRT/DD-WRT/LEDE (and even in your firmware ;)). So IMO it had no sense to start revolution in single package having out-of-date other packages. I am not sure even that this problem is exactly in Samba4 used in this 1.0.2.36 but not in e.g. old uClibc (2012) or in other third-party package used by Samba4. Evolution, but not revolution.

IMHO.

Voxel.

I went with 3.6.x because I have been unsuccessful in getting any of the 4.x versions to compile. Samba's build system is a disaster, and it gets even worse with 4.x.

I had another OpenWRT git repo that had patches for a 4.x release, but I never got it to work. I might take a look at this one sometime to see if I have better luck, tho I'd probably just wait for Netgear to publish their build recipes with their next GPL release to take a look at it.

I suspect their file issue might be because LFS isn't enabled.

It seems with the new SMB update in this firmware update Time Machine can no longer see shared drives as usable drives for Time Machine. The shared drives are still accessible but Time Machine can't see them. Can someone else confirm this issue?

Looks like Netgear added an 802.11k option, available in the debug menu page.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!