What's new

R7800 SmallNetBuilder Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I moved it here, which is where it will stay.

Sounds good - I opened the thread in the general sub-forums as this is a fairly significant device, the biggest thing since some other vendor dropped the first MU QCA chipset - Wave 2 is going to be fairly interesting ;)

With VHT160 (80+80), also other VHT modes (VHT20/40/80), check the VHT Capabilities stanza, tag 192... the items to look for are Channel Width, Channel Center Segment 0 (and channel), and Channel Segment 1 (channel there if present in VHT160 80+80, otherwise should be zero.

Should look something similar to this capture - 802.11n channel is 157 (which is also the 802.11a), and this one puts the 11n secondary on 161, and the 11ac center is 155 (which is channels 149, 153, 157, and 161)

Code:
        Tag: VHT Operation (IEEE Std 802.11ac/D3.1)
            Tag Number: VHT Operation (IEEE Std 802.11ac/D3.1) (192)
            Tag length: 5
            VHT Operation Info
                Channel Width: 80 MHz (0x01)
                Channel Center Segment 0: 155
                Channel Center Segment 1: 0
            Basic MCS Map: 0xffc0
                .... .... .... ..00 = Basic 1 SS: MCS 0-7 (0x0000)
                .... .... .... 00.. = Basic 2 SS: MCS 0-7 (0x0000)
                .... .... ..00 .... = Basic 3 SS: MCS 0-7 (0x0000)
                .... .... 11.. .... = Basic 4 SS: Not Supported (0x0003)
                .... ..11 .... .... = Basic 5 SS: Not Supported (0x0003)
                .... 11.. .... .... = Basic 6 SS: Not Supported (0x0003)
                ..11 .... .... .... = Basic 7 SS: Not Supported (0x0003)
                11.. .... .... .... = Basic 8 SS: Not Supported (0x0003)

Would be interesting to see if it can do/try MU in the VHT160/80+80 mode or not...

And the MU would be interesting with VHT80 and VHT160 - sounding is very dependent on the channel estimation, and there's enough spread between the UNII-1 and UNII-2 bands to make sounding very interesting, as the Beacon can only be on one of them, and the Beacon, because of it's high gain, is very important compared to the secondary channels...

This router is on sale at amazon right now for $214.99 thinking about picking it up at that price

I was looking for some advice but nobody responded to me. I had best buy price match it and I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Sale on Amazon ends in 6 hours.

bdb2982aff3e7150247c705e58335337.jpg

Just picked it up at Best Buy. Setting it up tomorrow night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should perform similar to the review on this site since it is scientific vs. user reviews that have many variables, some good some bad. Some glitches have already been raised by early adopters using this router based on 1st generation firmware. Most higher end consumer routers available from multiple manufactures really perform about the same in real world environments. Pick your poison and enjoy. There are no huge differences in range, some are a little better or worse than others. After all the routers I have owned in the last 5 years, I have learned that stability rules, and other than that I have gained very little in my router swapping. So all these user reviews making statements like "this router is a beast" or how they can reach their home router 3 doors, around the block while standing on their heads do nothing to add information to our hobby. In addition there is a placebo effect that once someone brings home their new toy: "it is the best router ever made by man". 2 months later they are bitching about having to reboot it all the time. So if it remains stable, enjoy it and realize that if it works well in your environment, that's what it's all about. If not you have purchased a new release product and have to assume some personal responsibility for wanting a new generation Corvette rather than a well mature Ford Taurus. Oh by the way your new purchase has issues remaining connected to iOS devices. (For some, but not all this is an issue) 6 months from now and 2 firmware releases from now that will be solved. Good luck with your new toy....

Last edited:
This router is on sale at amazon right now for $214.99 thinking about picking it up at that price

I was also thinking about getting this router just to tinker with. I had it in my cart on Amazon for $214.99 but was hesitant on pulling the trigger. If I can find it for $199.99 I'll pick it up.

Router is placed on my computer desk just off the kitchen. Upstairs in my bedroom I'm getting 702 to 866 Mbps on 5Ghz. I used to be steady at 585 Mbps with Asus AC66R. In my basement to my Xbox one I'm getting 48 to 65 Mbps on 5Ghz. With my Old router I was getting 25 to 35 Mbps. Using latest stock FW. I got ipv6 to work -user error. Can't do as much tweaking on the Netgear as with the Asus though. Is their anything like Merlins FW for Netgear?

Router is placed on my computer desk just off the kitchen. Upstairs in my bedroom I'm getting 702 to 866 Mbps on 5Ghz. I used to be steady at 585 Mbps with Asus AC66R. In my basement to my Xbox one I'm getting 48 to 65 Mbps on 5Ghz. With my Old router I was getting 25 to 35 Mbps. Using latest stock FW. I got ipv6 to work -user error. Can't do as much tweaking on the Netgear as with the Asus though. Is their anything like Merlins FW for Netgear?

The usual suspects are dd-wrt and tomato. XVortex might do a port of RMerlin's Asuswrt if you ask him and he has a router, I don't know, he has ported it to the R7000:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

This is a Qualcomm-based router, not Broadcom. That means no Tomato and no Asuswrt-Xvortex either.

Oops, I should have looked first, and then not leaped. Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!