What's new

R7800 SmallNetBuilder Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ok thanks for the info. Does upgrading to this router is atleast future proof for upcoming mu-mimo clients and 4x4 usb dongles.
There is no such thing as future proofing in Wi-Fi.

11ax routers will be here later this year to give manfs something new to sell and buyers something new to puzzle about.

11ax clients. Currently MU-mimo clients itself a big Question.

Also AD routers are too costly and not much use unless ad clients.

I dont thing AD routers will come down cost unless consumed in mass.

Thats true. Only Lappy will take advantage via AD and Ax not even a sign of any devices. So does this Dual 5ghz wifi bands will really ofload or give additional bandwith to the 5ghz frequency.

It does advertise 1700+Mbps. Can 2 band simultaneously give a operable load of say 900+Mbps without a hicup's.

it is extremely ideal scenario. But just checking. Wont single 5ghz band be sufficient.

How to enabled HT160. its disabled by default.
http://i68.tinypic.com/1shcg9.png
tinypic.com

Advanced Wireless Settings
images

And remember that Wide 80MHz & 160MHz CH improve throughput only when the full CH bandwidth (36-64 and 100-128) is free from interfering transmissions.
To show the right "NEW" convention CH you have to choose the "OLD" convention CH in the GUI for 40/80/160MHz width
So to show 160MHz "CH 50" choose CH 36+40+44+48+52+56+60+64, to show"CH 114" choose 100+104+108+112+116+120+124+128.
The "P" CH can be any one between CH 36-64 and CH 100-128.

So lets say you want a 80MHz width CH in the "NEW" convention, lets say CH 42.
Then you choose the "OLD" convention one off the CH 36-48 and you choose CH 44, this CH will be the "P" CH.
802.11ac_Channels.png

Also know that its 4x4 at 11ac 80MHz, 2x2 at 160/80+80MHz.

Last edited:
Advanced Wireless Settings
images

And remember that Wide 80MHz & 160MHz CH improve throughput only when the full CH bandwidth (36-64 and 100-128) is free from interfering transmissions.
To show the right "NEW" convention CH you have to choose the "OLD" convention CH in the GUI for 40/80/160MHz width
So to show 160MHz "CH 50" choose CH 36+40+44+48+52+56+60+64, to show"CH 114" choose 100+104+108+112+116+120+124+128.
The "P" CH can be any one between CH 36-64 and CH 100-128.

So lets say you want a 80MHz width CH in the "NEW" convention, lets say CH 42.
Then you choose the "OLD" convention one off the CH 36-48 and you choose CH 44, this CH will be the "P" CH.
802.11ac_Channels.png

Also know that its 4x4 at 11ac 80MHz, 2x2 at 160/80+80MHz.

So not sure what you are saying....to show 160MHz, you have to either have your 5GHZ channel set to 36 or 100? Or any channel between 36-64, or 100-128?

So not sure what you are saying....to show 160MHz, you have to either have your 5GHZ channel set to 36 or 100? Or any channel between 36-64, or 100-128?
To show the right "NEW" convention CH you have to choose the "OLD" convention CH in the GUI for 40/80/160MHz width.
Thats the CH in GUI on you Router: CHs range 36+40+44+48+52+56+60+64, choose one of this CH to get the "P" CH, this is the same as the "NEW" CH 50.
And still remember that Wide 80MHz / 160MHz CHs improve throughput only when the full CH bandwidth range (36-64 and 100-128) is free from interfering transmissions, your owns and aslo around you from others.

Wondering if the HT160mhz when paired with X4 ex7000 will it give close to 800+mbps with direct line of site.

I know that is the currently only feasible client costing less than another x4s for another in bridge.

If one decide to get the wired bandwidth or to use the 4x4 stream means will it give reliable 70% speed . As the rated is 1.7Gbs. Which will be close to 1.2 or 1.1 minimum when active transfer is being done.

One more query will there be any possible future firmware upgrade which can enable Link aggregation. As recently released R8000p have it

Earlier r8500 and then x10 . So it is possible with even 4 port router provided the firmware suppport it.

Even r7000 had dynamic QOS feature enabled.

ulaganath, what do you need link aggregation for, unless you have a decent NAS or need it for switching. If you're mostly on WiFi you most likely won't top out/saturate a single Ethernet connection to a NAS.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as future proofing in Wi-Fi.

11ax routers will be here later this year to give manfs something new to sell and buyers something new to puzzle about.

The 11ax scheduled MAC - walking around picking up nickels in the parking lot perhaps?

802.11ac has probably hit that limit already - even in wave 1 - and we've seen what's going on in 2.4GHz - there's a limit there, even with some vendors pushing 11ac/VHT stuff - there's just so many bits, and with the noise...

Makes me worry about the Shannon Limits - we put so many bits into an interface - even with advanced like space time block codes and low density parity checks.. we put in higher QAM's to stuff even more bits in, but Shannon says - with the errors, this is what comes out on the other end.

PLC - I think that limit has been hit already with HPAV2/G.hn... could be wrong here, but experience says yes.

With 11n/11ac - we're already diving into the noise floor to get bits back out and pushing the edge... what's next?

Quantum Physics and qubits suddenly appearing?

what's next?

I'm surprised they haven't started implementing on-the-fly compression, like the good old V.42bis days. Heck, this would allow manufacturers to advertise even more ludicrous, unattainable speeds. Advertise numbers that are twice bigger, and see customers experience an average 10-15% throughput improvement at most in real-life situations...

upload_2017-6-28_14-37-27.png

Will this ever come in mobile devices. Even new series like S8 samsung, One plus 5 etc. Both have latest chipset.

View attachment 9652

Will this ever come in mobile devices. Even new series like S8 samsung, One plus 5 etc. Both have latest chipset.
Who knows, sadly looking into the futures is not a skill I have mastered yet ;) and also one of the reasons that so called 'future proofing' seems to me to be a rather pointless thing to try to do when buying routers amongst others tech tbh. There will always be a bigger number on some box and new features hailed as the next big thing being shown off which many will never use or maybe even see implemented.

May be but MU-MIMO is effectively now implemented in Laptop's and mobile phones including S8 and One Plus 5 may be future coming Motorolo z2 and Mi6 and so on

Wondering when HT160 client from Intel hits the market.

As only way to saturate the Gig wired speed is a client is capable of connecting 1.7gbps .

yes for now asus can do that with AC PC 88 series i guess. But it cost a mini fortune.

Even i heard the Ex7300 from netgear have 4x4 antenna and support wave 2

This quad stream tech is there in X8 and X10 but i believe only x10 support the wave 2 and not the x8 . So bad every top end product they believe and advertise dont have all the bells and wistles

Hope the intel 93xx series with HT160 hits soon with option for desktop as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!