What's new

R7800 SmallNetBuilder Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you are used to running custom software on the Asus, why not just slap DD-WRT, e.g. Kong's Build, onto the R7800?
I might just do that. Will do some research first, haven't used that, ever. But I'm afraid I also tend to shrug my shoulders and forget about it when everything runs smoothly from now on (and I don't need anything that's not available). Comes with age I guess ;)

I might just do that. Will do some research first, haven't used that, ever. But I'm afraid I also tend to shrug my shoulders and forget about it when everything runs smoothly from now on (and I don't need anything that's not available). Comes with age I guess ;)

For Open Source I found LEDE/OpenWRT to be more stable and better performing, not to mention the SQM QoS is amazing (made by the same people who worked on Codel) on the R7800 and they moved to the 4.14 kernel now. Hnyman has builds posted on the LEDE forums. Mind you I’m not saying one OS is better than the other overall, I was specifically speaking only about the R7800.

Last edited:
For Open Source I found LEDE/OpenWRT to be more stable and better performing, not to mention the SQM QoS is amazing (made by the same people who worked on Codel) on the R7800 and they moved to the 4.14 kernel now. Hnyman has builds posted on the LEDE forums. Mind you I’m not saying one OS is better than the other overall, I was specifically speaking only about the R7800.
But the lights or say the leds don't work properly on netgear x4s itself with lede firmware and also my X4S limits it's link speed to 144 mbps when I connect my clients in 2.4 ghz even after selecting 40 mhz mode only.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

But the lights or say the leds don't work properly on netgear x4s itself with lede firmware and also my X4S limits it's link speed to 144 mbps when I connect my clients in 2.4 ghz even after selecting 40 mhz mode only.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The LEDs were patched on hnymans builds but it wasn’t a big deal for me. I never had any WiFi dropouts like on DD-WRT. Also not sure why you’d force 40Mhz on 2.4 GHz unless living in a rural setting. I live in a residential area and usually force 20Mhz so as to minimize interference with neighboring homes, not to mention 40Mhz performs worse due to the interference from nearby APs. Most of the WiFi bugs have been fixed on LEDE, so I assume that would also have been fixed in regards to your issue on 40Mhz. But don’t be that one neighbor who hogs 2 whole non overlapping channels, if you want speed 5Ghz is the way.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed using OpenWRT/LEDE, especially hnyman's builds. But with the lack of a (proper) hardware NAT for ipq806x, speeds will degrade if not using stock. I've also not had good results with an LG TV using an ethernet connection to my R7800 running FOSS. Whenever I do, speeds are much slower, and 4K streaming is no longer possible. On stock, no issues whatsoever. Obviously this makes no sense, since the modem connection is no different. Which leads to:

This is probably due to the combination of a newer kernel, software, and ethernet drivers for the ipq806x platform. It's my understanding that ethernet in particular uses a different driver implementation compared to stock firmware—as is the case with the WiFi driver, ath10k.

I too only have 70 Mbps internet but the biggest reason for a fast router in my use case, is LAN throughput as I have a NAS.

I have the same setup at home, that was one of the main reasons I needed this router. It has a much better 5GHz performance than my Asus before.
How can I install the Voxel firmware on it? :)

I have the same setup at home, that was one of the main reasons I needed this router. It has a much better 5GHz performance than my Asus before.
How can I install the Voxel firmware on it? :)

You can just install it via web GUI as its stock based. I would do a factory reset after just to ensure no issues.

kamoj, can you drop me a PM please?
No, I can't. The moderator of this forum has blocked me from starting conversations.
I don't know why and for how long.
Not sure, but maybe you can PM me, so I can answer you.

Not sure, but maybe you can PM me, so I can answer you.
Didn't work from here either, it doesn't let me to send you a message.

Anyway, I have received an email from Netgear that there is a new firmware available for this modem (.52), but when I click on firmware upgrade in the router's menu, it says I have the latest fw (.46). Also tried the Nighthawk app on my iPhone, didn't work as well.
Maybe because I am using it as AP instead of Router?

Last edited:
Didn't work from here either, it doesn't let me to send you a message.

Anyway, I have received an email from Netgear that there is a new firmware available for this modem (.52), but when I click on firmware upgrade in the router's menu, it says I have the latest fw (.46). Also tried the Nighthawk app on my iPhone, didn't work as well.
Maybe because I am using it as AP instead of Router?

Below is the Direct lint to Netgear firmware Version 1.0.2.52:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7800/R7800-V1.0.2.52.zip

There is also Vovel's excellent R7800 Firmware (Based on Version 1.0.2.52):

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-53sf.46941/

Direct link to Vovel's R7800-V1.0.2.53SF firmware:

http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/R7800-Voxel-firmware/R7800-V1.0.2.53SF.zip

I just got one of these R7800's and you know, anecdotally, is seems like I get more wifi speed out of my 2x2 clients (a HP laptop with an Intel 8265, and a Samsung Galaxy S8).

Doing iperf3 and tests about 12 feet away.
Old d-link DIR-859 would get me around 250-300mbps peak speed.
Phicomm K3C would get me around 300-350 mbps.
Netgear R7800 gets me around 400mbps.

Didn't do enough testing runs to claim this is statistically significant, but it was interesting.

My Asus Realtek built in mu Mimo reaches 692 peak and 650 avg speed on 2x2 867mbps link rate full signal

It can transfer avg 70 and max 77MB/S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all,
I'm using the latest firmware from Netgear, 1.0.2.52.
Everything was working great till a few days (weeks?) ago. WiFi seems to be dropping a few times a day, I don't why. One moment, it's there. The next, it's gone. I check the lights on the router and they all blink normally. And then the WiFi comes back and everything is peachy again.
I haven't changed anything, the configuration has been almost the same since day one. I haven't added any new devices. I have a few Google Homes, Alexas, Xiaomi box, my laptop, my cell phone, ... Basic devices as you can see.
Don't know what's going on...
I checked the logs but nothing shows at all. Nothing that would say something like a restart of the WiFi, or a dropped connection or...
It's pretty hot in my bedroom, 28°C, can't go lower. Think that could be the cause. The router being too hot?

I have another question : I have a mail server at home (small one, SheevaPlug) so I have configured the R7800 to forward port 25 to the IP of my server. But with this config, I can't send the logs to my gmail account, I get an error saying that port 25 is already being used. This is true of course, since it's a forward rule. I can't change it, need it. So how can I send the logs if I can't use port 25? Any idea?

Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:
Hello all,
I'm using the latest firmware from Netgear, 1.0.2.52.
Everything was working great till a few days (weeks?) ago. WiFi seems to be dropping a few times a day, I don't why. One moment, it's there. The next, it's gone. I check the lights on the router and they all blink normally. And then the WiFi comes back and everything is peachy again.
I haven't changed anything, the configuration has been almost the same since day one. I haven't added any new devices. I have a few Google Homes, Alexas, Xiaomi box, my laptop, my cell phone, ... Basic devices as you can see.
Don't know what's going on...
I checked the logs but nothing shows at all. Nothing that would say something like a restart of the WiFi, or a dropped connection or...
It's pretty hot in my bedroom, 28°C, can't go lower. Think that could be the cause. The router being too hot?

I have another question : I have a mail server at home (small one, SheevaPlug) so I have configured the R7800 to forward port 25 to the IP of my server. But with this config, I can't send the logs to my gmail account, I get an error saying that port 25 is already being used. This is true of course, since it's a forward rule. I can't change it, need it. So how can I send the logs if I can't use port 25? Any idea?

Thank you for your help :)
Well, I don't think it's a coincidence that you're having WiFi issues with 1.0.2.52. It just so happens that this update also brings new WiFi drivers for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios. Oddly enough, Netgear doesn't mention this in the changelog. A good test to do (but may not be practical for your particular situation) is to revert to a firmware older then 1.0.2.52.

But the updated WiFi drivers might have bricked something—so most likely a configuration problem. Configuration problems can usually be solved by factory resetting your R7800. Also, make sure Smart Connect is disabled, and ensure the WiFi bands have their own SSID. For some devices, they don't like the single SSID, and sometimes abruptly switch to another band.

It is sad that any issue that crops up with Netgear firmware issues, is usually solved by factory resetting. Obviously we all know it's a pain in the butt to do that. But really, the issue is much deeper—why are we having to do this in the first place? Think about it, if the software and firmware were designed and engineered better, this wouldn't be such a big issue. But now this post is getting off topic, so /rant

Last edited:
Well, I don't think it's a coincidence that you're having WiFi issues with 1.0.2.52. It just so happens that this update also brings new WiFi drivers for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios. Oddly enough, Netgear doesn't mention this in the changelog.
A Driver update always involves a factory reset normally, but maybe its more the lack of detail in Netgears release notes that are not helping here. <sigh> If there was a driver update the release notes should have said so and to do a factory reset, but the notes recently along with GPL code updates for new firmware versions being published in a timely manner if at, all seems to be all to frequent.

Hello and thank you for your so fast response :)

I wanted to avoid this factory reset... If I'm not mistaken, it erases all the configuration I have worked on, and I can't use the backups to restore them, right? I will have to configure everything again from scratch, correct? If so, real pain indeed, I have setup rules to forward ports, to assign IPs to dedicated devices, and so on.
Do you think I'll also have to relog my WiFi devices to the router, or...?
And that's IF this solves the problem of course :(
I was almost considering getting the Synology 2600 at its place, but it would be a downgrade, especially on the 5Ghz side, right? Does this kind of thing happen also with this router?
Oh, and any idea on how to solve the email sending, when you're already using port 25?
Thanx again for your help :)

Oh : factory reset, it's with a paper clip and press and hold the back button till the light goes orange, right? Or is it better to do the 10-10-10 thing I think I've read somewhere?

I wanted to avoid this factory reset... If I'm not mistaken, it erases all the configuration I have worked on, and I can't use the backups to restore them, right? I will have to configure everything again from scratch, correct? If so, real pain indeed, I have setup rules to forward ports, to assign IPs to dedicated devices, and so on.
Do you think I'll also have to relog my WiFi devices to the router, or...?
And that's IF this solves the problem of course :(
I was almost considering getting the Synology 2600 at its place, but it would be a downgrade, especially on the 5Ghz side, right? Does this kind of thing happen also with this router?
Oh, and any idea on how to solve the email sending, when you're already using port 25?
Thanx again for your help :)

Oh : factory reset, it's with a paper clip and press and hold the back button till the light goes orange, right? Or is it better to do the 10-10-10 thing I think I've read somewhere?

Yeah, a full factory reset is a pain in the butt, but if bugs are fixed by the new drivers, then that's an overall plus. Yes, you do have to re-enter your configuration settings manually.

Forget the 10-10-10 or 30-30-30 thing, that's not helpful at all for this newer generation of routers. Just hold the reset button in until the power light flashes. Or you can do the "reset to factory defaults" action in the web admin GUI.

You won't have to log your client devices in again, they usually auto-log themselves in when you change the wireless passwords back to what they used to be. Unless you have "auto-login" disabled for particular devices for some reason..not the default, so I doubt that you've set that up.

Just a kind tip:
You can try Voxels latest firmware. No need to reset when changing between Netgear and Voxel FW.
Voxel use more new versions of much, plus bug fixes.
If you don't trust Voxel FW, you can do the change and test it and then change back to Netgear again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!