What's new

R7800 SmallNetBuilder Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah, Netgear is not really good in designing and making firmware. It's slow, lack of features and not very logical. TP-Link and Asus, for example, are doing much better job. Luckily, once is setup, Netgear is pretty stable and can run for months, years without any intervention.

Yeah, Netgear is not really good in designing and making firmware. It's slow, lack of features and not very logical. TP-Link and Asus, for example, are doing much better job. Luckily, once is setup, Netgear is pretty stable and can run for months, years without any intervention.

That's because NETGEAR doesn't make the firmware. It outsources development to Delta Networks, Inc (DNI). They do everything, including the crappy QA, if at all

That's because NETGEAR doesn't make the firmware. It outsources development to Delta Networks, Inc (DNI). They do everything, including the crappy QA, if at all

Really? Didn't know that. Thanks! Why the hell Netgear did that? Anyway, good reason to avoid them in the future.

Has anyone tried the OpenVPN Server functionality?

I would like the ability to occasionally remote in and run a DB application (client on laptop) or download documents (mostly word or PDF).

We own one of these that is setup as an AP. Home LAN, 200/50 service. One client only. No gaming, no graphics, no video, no music.

I use it sometimes. It works. The setup with the OpenVPN client is a little janky. Performance isn't huge, only like 5mbps when I do a speed test.

But it works for my minimal use

I would like the ability to occasionally remote in and run a DB application (client on laptop) or download documents (mostly word or PDF).

We own one of these that is setup as an AP. Home LAN, 200/50 service. One client only. No gaming, no graphics, no video, no music.
I often use it on my iPhone. This way even when I'm not home, I get less ads due to AdGuardHome.
I also used it once on my iPad to be able to watch F1 via my Dutch provider, while being in Singapore or Malaysia. (TV-app from that provider is geo-fenced)

No Open VPN server functionality when the R7800 is configured in AP mode. Need to be in router mode!

I use it sometimes. It works. The setup with the OpenVPN client is a little janky. Performance isn't huge, only like 5mbps when I do a speed test.

But it works for my minimal use
Sorry, dropped the ball here.

Can you please clarify "janky"? Is this a matter of the generated OPVN file not working or something else?

I think I can live with 5Mbps for the use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!