What's new

R7800 Upgrade or Not????

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oops typo...I have the AX86U like the one in this post. Also has the 2.5gb port ...I can't get the wifi to do anywhere near 1gbps. I use an internal server hosting Openspeedtest connected at 10GB for testing.

can't get the wifi to do anywhere near 1gbps
it likely won't but, then again do your clients hit 1GE+ on the R7800's?

If not, then it's time to look at the client adapters. Err...the 7800 doesn't have greater than 1GE ports on it anyway.

I use one of these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HQQ4SPQ/?tag=snbforums-20 and for $160 it's a deal.

I can hit with a single client 1.5gbps using an AX411 card. The only issue with the AX411 is you need a CPU that supports CNVI2 which means ADL or RPL. However even with the AX210 adapter it could still hit gig speeds.

So I interesting.. I never used the 160 mode of my 7800.. I recall it has some ht160 setting? And that it can do 80+80 ..but that there are no clients that do that? What channels is your 160?

Maybe it's something with the proven Qualcomm chipset. Thing is the 7800 works so well all these years later only due to Voxel support. ..Netgear will give you 90 days of support on a new $500 model. Surely something must work as well as this 2016 model..let us know what you find.. so miss SNBs detailed test and reviews.

It does HT160 just fine with clients, it also additionally supports 80+80 noncontiguous channel bonding that however was something most clients didn't support if I recall. The QCA 9984 in it was probably the best AC era chipset IMHO.

Another way to think about it is your clients. If you upgrade your wireless, how many clients do you have that can take advantage of the upgrade?

Sooo... I am still playing with it ...I have a galaxy s22 ultra as a client and I have an all in one pc with a RTL8882CE AC client I also have a laptop with an AX210 adapter. So from a bulk throughput perspective the 7800 wins I use it in 160 mode and have no issues with any of my clients. However the latency and connect time of the AX86U is better ...web pages load much snappier ...I can see even with a few hops I get 3ms latency where I got 6 or more from the 7800. I know that should be negligible but I can definitely tell a difference in load times. The new AX has also for the few days I have had it been stable on the latest ASUS firmware. I don't think I need Merlin as I only use this as an access point. Most of my use has been with the Realtek AC client it definitely likes something about this ap better than the 7800.

it likely won't but, then again do your clients hit 1GE+ on the R7800's?

If not, then it's time to look at the client adapters. Err...the 7800 doesn't have greater than 1GE ports on it anyway.

I use one of these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HQQ4SPQ/?tag=snbforums-20 and for $160 it's a deal.

I can hit with a single client 1.5gbps using an AX411 card. The only issue with the AX411 is you need a CPU that supports CNVI2 which means ADL or RPL. However even with the AX210 adapter it could still hit gig speeds.
I want to try that AP now that I have used this a bit ..it's cheaper and I only really need an AP. I might just order one to try and send the one back I don't like. I agree though the 2.5 port on mine isn't helping anything wifi.