What's new

R8000p vs RT-AC3200 vs D-Link DIR-3060 VS WRT3200ACM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

policeman51

Occasional Visitor
My Linksys WRT1900ACS decided to take a dump on me and I can't breath life back into it.
Looking for a replacement with the following:
Netgear R8000p
Asus RT-AC3200
D-Link DIR-3060
Linksys WRT3200ACM

A two floor smaller house. I game but not too much.
Looking for recommendations on the devices, if one stands out above the others, or if one company is substantially worse, that sort of thing.
I've done some research and like these devices, but don't want it to die after a month, which I know is out of my hands, but at least a company that puts out quality products and stands by them.

Netgear R8000p -> 08.2017, Broadcom BCM4906, 1.8GHz dual-core, 512MB RAM
Asus RT-AC3200 -> 12.2014, Broadcom BCM4709A0, 1.0GHz dual-core, 256MB RAM
D-Link DIR-3060 -> 04.2019, MediaTek MT7621AT, 0.88GHz dual-core, 256MB RAM
Linksys WRT3200ACM -> 05.2016, Marvell 88F6820, 1.8GHz dual-core, 512MB RAM

Those routers have wide variations in performance, not even in the same class. And why a router from 2014 is in your list?

Netgear R8000p -> 08.2017, Broadcom BCM4906, 1.8GHz dual-core, 512MB RAM
Asus RT-AC3200 -> 12.2014, Broadcom BCM4709A0, 1.0GHz dual-core, 256MB RAM
D-Link DIR-3060 -> 04.2019, MediaTek MT7621AT, 0.88GHz dual-core, 256MB RAM
Linksys WRT3200ACM -> 05.2016, Marvell 88F6820, 1.8GHz dual-core, 512MB RAM

Those routers have wide variations in performance, not even in the same class. And why a router from 2014 is in your list?

Variations in what performance? 2.4GHz throughput, peak, max, 5Ghz range, etc?
Just because something is old doesn't mean that it's bad. I guess I inferred that from your statement though.

Variations in what performance? 2.4GHz throughput, peak, max, 5Ghz range, etc?

Netgear R8000P uses newer more sensitive BCM4365E radios (better range and throughput), RT-AC3200 uses older BCM43602. R8000P CPU performance and available RAM are double compared to RT-AC3200. DIR-3060 uses a budget MediaTek CPU, available in <$100 routers category. Compensates with fancy looks only. Lynksys is good, but getting 4 years old and still on very high price, comparable with some new AX routers.

Why those specific models only?

Netgear R8000P uses newer more sensitive BCM4365E radios (better range and throughput), RT-AC3200 uses older BCM43602. R8000P CPU performance and available RAM are double compared to RT-AC3200. DIR-3060 uses a budget MediaTek CPU, available in <$100 routers category. Compensates with fancy looks only. Lynksys is good, but getting 4 years old and still on very high price, comparable with some new AX routers.

Why those specific models only?
Thanks for that. I appreciate your quick responses.

No particular reason. I'm coming from the Linksys WRT1900ACS which is also older.
Just looking for something newer since I'm forced to get a new router.
I know it's difficult to give suggestions if you don't know someone's exact needs. I work from home a lot so i just want an solid reliable router, with good performance from LAN and wifi. Not something that will die in a few months. So yeah if you have any suggestions I'm all ears. Even if it's just a particular company that excels above the others. Been out the game for a little bit.

One reason to avoid older models is long term support from the manufacturers, especially in the release of security updates. While Asus still occasionally release updates for the RT-AC3200, I suspect they might not do so for much longer.

I would avoid any D-Link due to their very poor track record in terms of security.

Any thoughts on the Linksys EA line, EA9300?
I own this router now and have for several years. Its been mostly reliable, though my 2nd 5ghz band does not work unless I turn off all security on that band (not an option), and from time to time it slows down requiring a reboot. Though I'm guessing my 5ghz band issue could be resolved with a FW update, Linksys has not released an update for this router in over a year or more. I've been considering the Asus GT-AC5300 or the Netgear 8000p as a replacement myself.

I own this router now and have for several years. Its been mostly reliable, though my 2nd 5ghz band does not work unless I turn off all security on that band (not an option), and from time to time it slows down requiring a reboot. Though I'm guessing my 5ghz band issue could be resolved with a FW update, Linksys has not released an update for this router in over a year or more. I've been considering the Asus GT-AC5300 or the Netgear 8000p as a replacement myself.
Thanks for you reply.
I was actually just looking at both of those and comparing to the EA9300.

I was actually just looking at both of those and comparing to the EA9300.

Look at Netgear R7800 as an option too. It has excellent WiFi coverage, reliable hardware and is fully supported by Voxel and OpenWRT, in case you need to play with custom software on it. Not the latest and greatest, but proven good AC router. If you are in US, it's currently on same for $189 on Amazon. Some people managed to get one for $120 around holidays.

Thanks again guys for your replies.
I've seen this before, but this forum is a gift and a curse because of all the information and weeding through it, but the advice here is good.

Looking at the options I've narrowed it down to a few models:
RT-AC5300
-fast processor and lots of features that I would actually use
RT-AC86U
-Cheaper than the RT-AC5300 with good specs
EA9300
-fast processor
-no custom firmware
-few firmware updates, but not necessarily a bad thing.
R7800
-Older but great reviews and seems to be rock solid

So I was using the Linksys WRT1900ACS.
Coverage was good OK but the second floor was limited.

From this list I would go with ASUS RT-AC86U for the following reasons:

This is the fastest hardware router on the list. If you plan using VPN on the router, this one has Broadcom BCM4609 Dual-Core 1.8GHz CPU with hardware AES support and can do >200Mbps on OpenVPN (I've seen >250Mbps). Supported by Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware with many functionality enhancement User Scripts. Good support here on SNB forums, popular model. Excellent for AIO router WiFi range thanks to Broadcom BCM4366E radios, 3x3 on 2.4GHz and 4x4 on 5GHz. Has lower than average reliability history though, may suffer from low memory conditions (as per my experience, 512MB RAM) and an unpleasant still unresolved bug - may not always reboot properly via WebUI. If you plan to reboot it remotely, better have someone around to cycle the Power button OFF and ON again, if needed. Get it from a good retailer, keep the warranty card. If it fails, ASUS will replace it for you.

If the price is not a limitation, even better option is ASUS RT-AX88U model. This one can do all of the above as it's based on the same hardware platform, plus Quad-Core 1.8GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 8 x LAN ports, AX support and better reliability as per user feedback. Many users prefer this model not because of AX support, but because of better hardware and reliability. The price is around 2X compared to RT-AC86U though, expensive.

If you want to run OpenWRT, go with NETGEAR R7800. It's Qualcomm based and fully supported. Also excellent WiFi range and throughput, probably the best WiFi router in AC class. Stock software has limited options though and the price is usually high for 01.2016 router model. It's supported also by Voxel's Firmware, based on stock NETGEAR firmware with enhancements. The reliability is high as per user feedback.

Avoid ASUS RT-AC5300, the alien spider thing. More looks than performance. Older model from 2015, previous generation hardware, issues reported here on SNB quite often. Both RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U will beat it in WiFi performance. Because of all this you can get it cheap off eBay, if you want to try. Large router, you have to plan a space for it.

Awesome, thanks Vlad. This is really helpful.
I'm going to eye the RT-AX88U for a good price and just go for it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!