What's new

R9000 Voxel - controlling guest network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BritinMA

Occasional Visitor
Hello! Thanks for letting me into the community :)

Today I discovered and installed the Voxel firmware for my Nighthawk X10. I didn't have high expectations but wow - Voxel, Thank you!!!! I have also added the Kamoj addon, and enabled SSH.

I am trying to control the guest network by SSH (or Telnet), and have written a simple script that does just that, but if the router reboots with the guest network off, I have to use the web interface to restart the guest network; I assume, therefore, that what I've got working is a hack job lol :)

This is the script I use to turn off the network:

#!/bin/sh
/bin/config set wlg1_endis_guestNet=0
/bin/config set wla1_endis_guestNet=0
/sbin/ifconfig ath11 down
/sbin/ifconfig ath01 down

And a remarkably similar one that successfully brings the guest network back up. But like I said, it will not work if the guest network is down at the time of a reboot. When that happens, I get the following error:

ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

Notably, "my script" leaves the interface (ath01 and ath11 for 2.4 & 5) up, but unassociated; whereas if I reboot the router with the guest network off, the interfaces do not exist until I use the web interface.

What I'd like to do is start the guest network after a reboot via command line.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

(Note: this is all part of limiting times for my kids, in case anyone was wondering)

What if you keep your Guest network on and add the Guest turn off script to rc.local so is executed every time it boots up.

That's certainly an option, but what I'm really looking for is the ability to control the guest network as if I was on the guest network config page, checking & unchecking the box to switch it on & off.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!