What's new

Radios not staying at 40 MHz / 160 MHz on 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz bands

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASSAD

Occasional Visitor
First thank you so much Rmerlin for the new firmware.

I have a question

why my phones always connected at 5GHz 80MHz only and not 160MHz and 2.4GHz 20MHz only not 40MHz
on GT-AX11000 router?

I changed it on Wireless - General, it's applied.
Even if smart connect on same thing why?

2.4GHz and 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 bands all same thing.

Attachments

• 2.4GHz.jpg
    2.4GHz.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 5GHz.jpg
    5GHz.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 62
Because interference. 40 MHz is nearly impossible to use on the 2.4 GHz band, and 160 MHz is also very difficult to use on the 5 GHz band due to DFS channels.

Because interference. 40 MHz is nearly impossible to use on the 2.4 GHz band, and 160 MHz is also very difficult to use on the 5 GHz band due to DFS channels.

Is there anything i try maybe will stay at 160MHz and the 40MHz?

I have to ask, is your phone actually capable of using those bandwidths?

Yes. I phone 14 pro

Using 40mhz on 2.4ghz is rude to all of your neighbors and will likely get you less speed than 20mhz anyway. Set it to 20.

160 overlaps with radar and will likely drop to 80. On AX with a 2 stream client, you can get nearly 1GBPS throughput on 80mhz which is plenty, so I'd just stick with 80. Otherwise you have to bounce your wifi every time it drops to 80, and you may have several minute outages when it scans for radar. 160 will give you less range than 80 and may even give you less speed.

Using 40mhz on 2.4ghz is rude to all of your neighbors and will likely get you less speed than 20mhz anyway. Set it to 20.

160 overlaps with radar and will likely drop to 80. On AX with a 2 stream client, you can get nearly 1GBPS throughput on 80mhz which is plenty, so I'd just stick with 80. Otherwise you have to bounce your wifi every time it drops to 80, and you may have several minute outages when it scans for radar. 160 will give you less range than 80 and may even give you less speed.
Ok forget about 40MHz. Do 4m too much for 160MHz and 2.5m from the router at least?
That's my range will be nearly always?

Ok forget about 40MHz. Do 4m too much for 160MHz and 2.5m from the router at least?
That's my range will be nearly always?

What does it matter if it is going to keep swapping to 80Mhz as required by law? Are you pulling more than 1GBPS regularly? Just find a good clear 80mhz channel and be done with it.

More is not always better.

This iPhone doesn't even support 160MHz wide channel, @drinkingbird. Not needed and not supported.

Useless troubleshooting for phone speedtest again. Waste of time.

Yes. I phone 14 pro

14 pro

20 MHz channels in 2.4 only - apple actively sends out fat_channel intolerant in 2.4, mostly because of bluetooth
80 MHz channels in 5 only, no 160MHz wide channel support

Call Apple and tell them their product specifications are wrong. Thank you!

Even my new M2 macbook air has max of 80mhz on 5Ghz. I think only the latest macbook pro and newest mac mini support 160mhz

Well, you even didn't write logical answer there and you telling me rude?!!
Don't make yourself scientist on us, if you don't know the answer kid. RUDE!

What does it matter if it is going to keep swapping to 80Mhz as required by law? Are you pulling more than 1GBPS regularly? Just find a good clear 80mhz channel and be done with it.

More is not always better.
I'm telling you 2.5m to 4m from the router and you telling me
What does it matter if it is going to keep swapping to 80Mhz as required by law?
🤣

If you have it - use it. I don't have it on mine.