What's new

Feature request asuswrt-merlin: Option to quickly disable radios from the front / status page

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

torstein

This is for @RMerlin 😊 First of all thank you for maintaining this project. It makes my wireless homenetworking easier and even fun!

I have a couple of devices that don't support 5Ghz, and can only use 2.4Ghz. For the occational time (updating software) these devices need to connect to the web I enable the 2.4Ghz radio, but most of the time I leave it off. As of now I have to dig through a few menus to enable /disable radios. A bit tedious. Also, first world problem, I know!

The status page already allows the user to change both SSIDs and passwords for 2.4 and 5Ghz, wouldn't it be practical to add a little radio-button switch there as well to toggle them on or off? It seems like a natural fit and place to have these toggles.

You could argue "how often does one need to disable/enable radios?" Well, I will counter that with how many times does one need to change the SSID or password? And those options are there, so why not a toggle for the radios as well?

This is for @RMerlin
For the occational time (updating software) these devices need to connect to the web I enable the 2.4Ghz radio, but most of the time I leave it off. As of now I have to dig through a few menus to enable /disable radios. A bit tedious. Also, first world problem, I know!
IMHO, not sure if this could apply in your case.

1. "Best way" is the automated way, not having to even touch GUI – "Enable wireless scheduler" for 2.4GHz Band.
  2. To make navigation less tedious, bookmarks with keywords.

This is for @RMerlin 😊 First of all thank you for maintaining this project. It makes my wireless homenetworking easier and even fun!

I have a couple of devices that don't support 5Ghz, and can only use 2.4Ghz. For the occational time (updating software) these devices need to connect to the web I enable the 2.4Ghz radio, but most of the time I leave it off. As of now I have to dig through a few menus to enable /disable radios. A bit tedious. Also, first world problem, I know!

The status page already allows the user to change both SSIDs and passwords for 2.4 and 5Ghz, wouldn't it be practical to add a little radio-button switch there as well to toggle them on or off? It seems like a natural fit and place to have these toggles.

You could argue "how often does one need to disable/enable radios?" Well, I will counter that with how many times does one need to change the SSID or password? And those options are there, so why not a toggle for the radios as well?
I'm just wondering why you don't leave both Wi-Fi channels switched on permanently?

Three reasons:

1) I don't always want the 2.4Ghz devices to always be connected to the web (robot vacuum, smart stove, TV, playstation, smart lock etc)

2) My everyday devices use 5Ghz, so by disabling 2.4Ghz I'm being "kind" to my neighbors who might be using 2.4Ghz by not interfering with their network

3) I read somewhere on reddit that by disabling the 2.4Fhz you may improve performance on the 5Ghz by freeing up resources on the router. Don't know about this one, but I'm barely if ever, using the 2.4 so might as well disable it. Except for that occational time as mentioned in my original post.

Three reasons:

1) I don't always want the 2.4Ghz devices to always be connected to the web (robot vacuum, smart stove, TV, playstation, smart lock etc)

2) My everyday devices use 5Ghz, so by disabling 2.4Ghz I'm being "kind" to my neighbors who might be using 2.4Ghz by not interfering with their network

3) I read somewhere on reddit that by disabling the 2.4Fhz you may improve performance on the 5Ghz by freeing up resources on the router. Don't know about this one, but I'm barely if ever, using the 2.4 so might as well disable it. Except for that occational time as mentioned in my original post.
Perhaps using the new Guest Network Pro in the official firmware could be a workaround and you could easily toggle it off when you didn't need it, or set it on a schedule.

Attachments

• Guest Network Pro.png
    Guest Network Pro.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 52
Hmmm didnt know about that festure. hopefully it comes in next merlin update.

Hmmm didnt know about that festure. hopefully it comes in next merlin update.

This is a 3.0.0.6 firmware feature, Pro models and stock Asuswrt only. Your router is not compatible with this firmware.

This is a 3.0.0.6 firmware feature, Pro models and stock Asuswrt only. Your router is not compatible with this firmware.
Bummer. Is there any way Rmerlin can enable these things on all models, you think once his firmware makes the 3.0.0.6 jump?

No, it doesn't work like that.

RMerlin gets the GPL provided by Asus and applies his specific tweaks to the stock firmware.

He doesn't add features from other models from other firmware levels.

No, it doesn't work like that.

RMerlin gets the GPL provided by Asus and applies his specific tweaks to the stock firmware.

He doesn't add features from other models from other firmware levels.
But he could add those switches to enable/disable radios to the status page, no?

But he could add those switches to enable/disable radios to the status page, no?
I don't see why he would. it is an unusual user need.
You can turn it off/on via ssh command.

Yes, everything is possible. Not everything will be included though.

Q: Will you add feature XYZ?
A: Chances are that no, since adding new features is a very low priority for this project. Just keeping code in sync with Asus has become nearly a full-time task for this project, and the increasing amount of closed source parts makes it increasingly harder to make significant changes to the firmware.

See post #2 here for a more in-depth answer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!