What's new

RAM Usage growing on 386.3_2 and CPU Core stuck at 100%

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JDB

Very Senior Member
Hi,

So one of my routers I use for work, an RT-AC5300, running 386.3_2, has since I upgraded to that version exhibited 2 problems.

1. RAM grows over time. The culprit is conn_diag. I found other threads saying this process in 386.2 was creating large files, so it appears to have been tweaked recently. I think it's closed source, but wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue and knows if it can be solved?
image.png

See here, I upgraded ~3 weeks ago and over the next 10 days it ate it's RAM+Swap until I rebooted. I all the process preemptively last week (no idea if that was a good idea!) and already today it's started using Swap again so presumably so daemon started it up again.

2. 1 of the CPU cores is stuck at 100% by nt_center. I know after an upgrade this is expected for a while, but not for weeks! Again, anyone have any ideas/solutions?

This is a standalone router, no AiMesh etc. Has ~30 WiFi clients evenly spread across it's 2x 5GHz channels and 3-4 LAN devices attached. Entware is installed, only 2 things installed is the remote Check_MK monitoring script and USB drivers for the UPS attached to the other USB port. It's worked well for over a year like this until this upgrade.

Worst case I'll have to factory reset and hope that sorts it. I'm presuming if I backup the relevant JFFSscripts and replace them afterwards my Entware will just carry on as if nothing happened? I also have OpenVPN's which I'd like to restore rather than re-issue creds etc to people, any quick way to do this? I know some of it is stored in NRVAM and some in JFFS but it's been a while since I looked into it and it's certainly been tweaked since I understood it.

I don't want to do a full backup/restore as I might end up putting back the issue(s) I have now.

I did see people on 386.4 Alpha saying it solved some RAM issues, but it's an important router for work so not really keen on Alpha/Beta builds if I can avoid them. That assumes an Alpha release even exists for this model (I've not checked).

Any suggests are welcomed.