What's new

Random net loss, 5g going down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have had the same problem with a RT-AC3100 I just acquired. After flashing to 80.65_4 5Ghz was lost after a couple of hours working. I reflashed to the original ASUS firmware and works like a charm. Is this a known issue of the current version?

Yes. It seems pretty much all of the current versions have this issue. There are many reports in several threads.

I talked too soon: with the original ASUS firmware I'm also losing 5Ghz... you mentioned that all the current versions have this issue, do you also refer to the original asus firmware?

according to the ASUS website, the latest firmware release was done in 2017/02/14. Does the stable version you're using predate the incorporation of that update into the Merlin release?

I'm almost positive it's a firmware issue. I had no problems until I updated past a certain point. I didn't notice it initially because I wasn't running the firmware long enough for it happen. Currently it crashes for me after about two weeks.

I would love to konw if it's a common (firmware) issue or if instead it's a hardware problem... I can still take it back to the store for a refund if it's the second...

It's your settings. It's not a common problem. I'm able to keep my connection for weeks easily.

It's your settings. It's not a common problem. I'm able to keep my connection for weeks easily.
No it's not. Please don't spread false information. This is a known issue with the latest firmwares and there are many, many reports. I had this issue on my 68U using the same settings I've always had, and were setup fresh and after a reset to defaults. This definitely popped up after the newer releases as I never had any issues with the older ones.

No it's not. Please don't spread false information. This is a known issue with the latest firmwares and there are many, many reports. I had this issue on my 68U using the same settings I've always had, and were setup fresh and after a reset to defaults. This definitely popped up after the newer releases as I never had any issues with the older ones.

How about YOU not spread false information. Guaranteed it's either your adapter, or your settings that you are using. ANY wrong combination can make it unstable. I haven't had any problems for weeks in regards to wifi dropping. There aren't many many reports as you say. Anyone that has had problems easily fixed their configuration, and it's working.

How about YOU not spread false information. Guaranteed it's either your adapter, or your settings that you are using. ANY wrong combination can make it unstable. I haven't had any problems for weeks in regards to wifi dropping. There aren't many many reports as you say. Anyone that has had problems easily fixed their configuration, and it's working.
Well I'm not going to get into it with you, but there's many threads with many, many people all having the same issue, so go figure. Just because you're not having an issue, doesn't mean one doesn't exist. I know what I'm doing, and I know for sure it's not a "setting issue". You haven't even given a single bit of info of router model, firmware version, timeframe, etc. LOL.

It would help if you could direct me to the posts indicating the configuration problems. I am not sure what it can be that I'm doing wrong, if anything.

It would help if you could direct me to the posts indicating the configuration problems. I am not sure what it can be that I'm doing wrong, if anything.

Well I'm not going to get into it with you, but there's many threads with many, many people all having the same issue, so go figure. Just because you're not having an issue, doesn't mean one doesn't exist. I know what I'm doing, and I know for sure it's not a "setting issue". You haven't even given a single bit of info of router model, firmware version, timeframe, etc. LOL.

Lots of people don't have problems. Not everyone is going to post about it on the forums. If there was such a widespread issue, I'm almost positive Merlin would have pulled the firmware.
You say you know what you are doing...so, let's find out. Airtime fairness disabled? MU-Mimo disabled as well? (Non-68U). How about smart connect? What are your current wireless settings? Do you use roaming assist?

And good, you don't have to get into it with me. I'm using 380.65_4 right now with no issues. I have several 3100's, and a 66U in service right now. 1 3100 is even running 380.66 A3 with no issues either. And there's not many threads on this "issue". Most of the issues that I've seen lately stem from people using airtime fairness still, MU-Mimo, Roaming Assistant, and trying to get IPv6 work, while also running complicated scripts that aren't even configured properly and it pegs the CPU usage at 100.

But hey, that's okay interconnect, enjoy your problems.

Lots of people don't have problems. Not everyone is going to post about it on the forums. If there was such a widespread issue, I'm almost positive Merlin would have pulled the firmware.
You say you know what you are doing...so, let's find out. Airtime fairness disabled? MU-Mimo disabled as well? (Non-68U). How about smart connect? What are your current wireless settings? Do you use roaming assist?

Thanks for your input really. I appreciate it. Airtime fairness appears activated by default in the asus firmware I'm running at the moment. Would it be best deactivated? I have at a a given time five about 6 5GHz clients connected. seems I would not need airtime fairness even if it worked properly. Would you recommend deactivating it?

Btw, 5G has been stable for the last 5 hours since my post on it. Perhaps I should also give a try to the latest merlin alpha... I read in the changelog taht the wirless dirvers for AC3100 have been updated (separating them from the 88U). Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input really. I appreciate it. Airtime fairness appears activated by default in the asus firmware I'm running at the moment. Would it be best deactivated? I have at a a given time five about 6 5GHz clients connected. seems I would not need airtime fairness even if it worked properly. Would you recommend deactivating it?

Btw, 5G has been stable for the last 5 hours since my post on it. Perhaps I should also give a try to the latest merlin alpha... I read in the changelog taht the wirless dirvers for AC3100 have been updated (separating them from the 88U). Any thoughts?

Yes, you absolutely should disable Airtime Fairness. It causes so many problems with clients connecting on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks. It's the first thing I disable after going through the Easy Setup.
MU-MIMO needs to be disabled also, as clients more than likely do not even support it. Beamforming is okay to use (especially Universal), if you are having signal problems.

I am not sure where you are from, but I live in the US. California specifically, and live in a huge cul-de-sac, with at least 20-30 networks nearby. These are settings that need to be tweaked, as far as channel, and channel width. If you have AC adapters, use Channel 161, and 80 Hz. Anything that doesn't support AC should be on the 2.4 GHz band anyway.

Yes, you absolutely should disable Airtime Fairness. It causes so many problems with clients connecting on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks. It's the first thing I disable after going through the Easy Setup.
MU-MIMO needs to be disabled also, as clients more than likely do not even support it. Beamforming is okay to use (especially Universal), if you are having signal problems.

I have disabled airtime fairness from both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. And I am going to watch the stability of my 5Ghz signal. I will report here. Also look forward to the new version of Merlin (not so comfortable with an alpha). I guess it could take some time until it comes, but i will update here on how the stock firmware behaves until then. Hoping that disabling airtime fairness helps stability. with a bit of luck my losing 5GhZ is just a fluke, but I guess I won't know until it fails again or until I have a couple of weeks without losing 5Ghz. Whatever happens first.

In any case all help is appreciated. I'm glad to have a tool like this forum with so many people much more knowledgeable than me on networking. I really want to like my new AC3100 so getting it to stable and optimal settings (and with a good FW running) is definitely a priority for me.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!