What's new

Ratings chart of noise for NAS units

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerryk

Regular Contributor
Hi,

As more and more people use devices in the non-traditional settings (ie. NAS on a desktop, home office, living room media server, etc) it would be nice if there was a rating chart of NAS and other units by noise. I know some of the reviews have this information, but it is not in a easily comparable format. The idea would be to make it easy to determine which devices were quiet enough to sit next to all day or have in your living room steaming movies. Devices that were not could be eliminated early from consideration.

Thanks,

jerry

Netgear rates the NVX @ 31.5db @ 1m.

I looked at a couple 4 bay Qnap's and they are in the 33-34db range when in standby. No sure how Qnap does that rating but I'm sure its not the same as Netgear.

Synology rates their DS410 @ 23db. Cough, cough! They also rate the "fan noise" only. Don't know if that means the fan blowing in free air or if the housing resonance is included in that figure. I find it hard to believe that their finished product (even without disks) is 23db. maybe Tim can comment further since he's had plenty of these in his lab.

What concerns me more is Qnap's max unit operating temp of 40C and Synology 35C. What are they thinking? Netgear is good up to 65C which is typical for electronics. Maybe the Qnap and Synology spec is for room temp? Not sure, but it says operating temp on their spec sheet and that concerns me. Good luck keeping your NAS under 35C (95F).

Are you sure you want to return that NVX Pioneer? Please do the research and you may find the grass is not greener on the other side. :)

Good point, Jerry. You can find subjective ratings for all NASes by using the Features button in the charts. But, I agree that a filter or some sort of selector would be more helpful.

I'll keep it in mind for a future NAS Chart tweak.

Good point, Jerry. You can find subjective ratings for all NASes by using the Features button in the charts. But, I agree that a filter or some sort of selector would be more helpful.

I'll keep it in mind for a future NAS Chart tweak.

Tim

Are you thinking of setting up a sound lab to measure real world sound levels or are you going to take the OEM's word for it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!