What's new

Really disappointed with AiMesh, I switched to something else

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not to defend AiMesh that surely has its share of issues but that "Wifi sucks" is hardly one of them. It is stupid to join a forum and to create a post like that without any details on the actual problem. Surely you must be on someones payroll to spread FUD like this.

Not on anyone's pay roll.

In fact, I am still an Asus fan, just not AiMesh.

but
Thanks for the troll response.

Not a cool thing to say to a new member and I would be remiss to not point that out:
Re:
"Surely you must be on someones payroll to spread FUD like this"

Last edited:
Well thank you for elaborating. I do use AiMesh with two GT-AC5300 and a wired backhaul. It does work and do not experience ANY issues you mention besides the shared channel.
So this may come down to the AX models not being ready for primetime and so it should be expected since the standard is far from ready. I do however have issues with the node going offline in the latest firmware (even had it changed since it seemed like a faulty hardware issue but it continued) and since it is a terrible ROG branded device it means we don't get firmwares and have to live with these bugs for 4 months now. Other known issue with AiMesh is the complete lack of a distributed guest network which every real mesh system support. They promised it long ago but it is never is going to happen.

I have them back in regular AP mode for now and life is good.
Hoping a future firmware/code update gets AiMesh usable.

Not on anyone's pay roll.

In fact, I am still an Asus fan, just not AiMesh.

but
Thanks for the troll response.

Not a cool thing to say to a new member and I would be remiss to not point that out:
Re:
"Surely you must be on someones payroll to spread FUD like this"
You already replied me but here we go. You do not have to an Asus fan to be here but creating a 1st post that criticize ANY product without any substantial backup is not cool either. It is so uncool and troll-like that it MUST be curbed because it serves no purpose other than ruining this forum if more people did it.

But at least you elaborated and I appreciated that as mentioned earlier. But please don't expect to be met with open arms if you go to a new forum and start with a post like that. You were right to be upset but without any examples you are just using a bunch of strangers as an outlet for your frustration.

I doubt it :-( It has been long and features like guest networks are still missing. It is like Asus is giving up on AsusWRT and bugs are not fixed and many features are missing. It used to be better a few years ago but lately nothing happens.

AP mode has worked fine for me for the last two years. Does AiMesh offer anything useful over AP mode? I can't think of anything except more seamless hoping from one router the the next.

I've always been puzzled why AiMesh runs all routers on a single channel. Would seem to create bandwidth loss due to interference, even if the routers are properly spaced.

AP mode has worked fine for me for the last two years. Does AiMesh offer anything useful over AP mode? I can't think of anything except more seamless hoping from one router the the next.

I've always been puzzled why AiMesh runs all routers on a single channel. Would seem to create bandwidth loss due to interference, even if the routers are properly spaced.

From what I understand...

AP Mode must be wired and will permit insecure/unisolated guest WLANs.

AiMesh can be wireless (consumers need and want this) and does not permit insecure/unisolated guest WLANs by not implementing them on nodes.

I've also wondered about the same channel nature of AiMesh.

OE

From what I understand...

AP Mode must be wired and will permit insecure/unisolated guest WLANs.

AiMesh can be wireless (consumers need and want this) and does not permit insecure/unisolated guest WLANs by not implementing them on nodes.

I've also wondered about the same channel nature of AiMesh.

OE

I was aware of the wired connection requirement for APs vs AiMesh. I should have mentioned that.

I wasn't aware of insecure guest wlans. Is that when utilizing the built-in guest network option, or do you mean something else?

I'm mostly interested in the difference in router hoping efficiency/seamlessness between AP and AiMesh modes.

I was aware of the wired connection requirement for APs vs AiMesh. I should have mentioned that.

I wasn't aware of insecure guest wlans. Is that when utilizing the built-in guest network option, or do you mean something else?

I'm mostly interested in the difference in router hoping efficiency/seamlessness between AP and AiMesh modes.

From what I've gathered lurking here, Guest Network clients on APs can access LAN clients, so not too secure.

OE

From what I've gathered lurking here, Guest Network clients on APs can access LAN clients, so not too secure.

OE
Guest network on router: LAN isolation works
Guest network on router: Isolation between guests works

Guest network on router in AP mode: LAN isolation does not work
Guest network on router in AP mode: Who cares if LAN isolation does not work

Guest network on AiMesh: ???

I would not make any positive assumptions about isolation on AiMesh.

Guest network on router: LAN isolation works
Guest network on router: Isolation between guests works

Guest network on router in AP mode: LAN isolation does not work
Guest network on router in AP mode: Who cares if LAN isolation does not work

I would not make any positive assumptions about isolation on AiMesh.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I believe Guest Network client isolation on an AiMesh router/root node 'works' as you noted for a non-AiMesh router. But as you say, one should always confirm this for a given installation... the router firmware could fail you and even your most trusted guests could be compromised.

OE

I just don't understand why router manufacturers don't have guest network in separate subnet by default (the only one I'm aware of is discontinued Apple Airport), that's the best isolation! At least Asuswrt Merlin can do it with scripts, or OpenWRT (but that's hardly user friendly for average Joe).

I just don't understand why router manufacturers don't have guest network in separate subnet by default (the only one I'm aware of is discontinued Apple Airport), that's the best isolation! At least Asuswrt Merlin can do it with scripts, or OpenWRT (but that's hardly user friendly for average Joe).
Google WiFi has separate subnet for guest WiFi by default.

Google WiFi has separate subnet for guest WiFi by default.
So does Orbi, TP-Link Deco and well every Mesh system I have tried except AiMesh. And guest networks aren't just for guests anymore but useful for IoT devices.
It is a serious shortcoming for the AiMesh system.

Guest network support for AiMesh is something I've seen being implemented in recent source code releases, so it's under development.