What's new

Rebooting Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My_dogs_White

Regular Contributor
I have a question regarding rebooting the Rt-AC87U. I always reboot my router using the asus software. I log into the router and click reboot. It takes about 60 seconds. I do this periodically too speed things up. I’m going to be away for an extended period of time (no, not prison, I’m not going to be away THAT long haha, just a holiday) and I’m wondering if unplugging the router, waiting 30 seconds and then plugging it back in would be the same as rebooting it. I’m pretty sure it is but I wanted to confirm. It’s easier to tell the family to just unplug it of things go wonky than to show them how to log in.

Thanks, I hope this is an easy one!

Reactions: thc
Yes, as long there's no USB disk plugged to it, otherwise you run the risk of corrupting its content.

Unplugging and plugging back in, if no USB is mounted, is a more reliable method than doing a soft reboot anyway. My 3200 would get in states that I could not recover from without unplugging it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So what's this about rebooting regularly to speed up performance? Is this really needed?

Ideally, it shouldn't be needed. But Windows machines are not the only ones that get a boost by rebooting.

Depending on your network usage, your devices and the options enabled on your router, you may or may not see an appreciable difference.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!