What's new

Recommended specs for small personal NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just to keep you guys updated on the project, my NAS is now fully fonctionnal! Maybe not in it's final form, time will tell since I had quite some fun learning to use the Terminal and might tweak it further.

I am using a Raspberry Pi 4 with two Samsung EVO 860 SSD in a RAID1 assembly (thanks to mdadm) on Nextcloud 18.0.1. I can connect from the WAN with a DDNS address and an OpenVPN tunnel (with the Merlin firmware on the ASUS router, it really was an easier task that I thought).

I know people can squint thinking about drives connected via usb ports but do keep in mind this is a personnal project, not for a commercial use.
I know HDD are cheaper and that would be my choice if I could go back in time but I initially hoped that the RPi could manage to power two drives if they were really cheap on gas. Turns out .5A per port really ain't enough and I couldn't get the sync going on between the drives so I had to add external power.

Thanks for your time and answers, I'm keeping this page bookmarked for future reference!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!