What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Updated my AC 3100 and the only thing I’ve noticed is that AI Protection doesn’t seem to behave as it used to. Usually I’ll update my FW, reset factory defaults, set everything back and up then test a few of the Trend Micro provided URLs to verify it is working properly ( email notification, page re-direct, etc. ). However this time around the same URLs aren’t being blocked and I’ve yet to find one that is. Everything under AI Protection is enabled, maybe this is just how the new engine works?

My AC86U running RMerlin 382.1.0. On the tools page Total Memory is reporting 430.10 MB.. which seems like a rather odd value.

Iptraffic is still available on all models which previously had it.

My AC86U running RMerlin 382.1.0. On the tools page Total Memory is reporting 430.10 MB.. which seems like a rather odd value.

Broadcom reserves 13% of the total memory for their SDK usage. Once you also remove the memory reserved by the kernel, you end up with the number you see.

Iptraffic is still available on all models which previously had it.

Broadcom reserves 13% of the total memory for their SDK usage. Once you also remove the memory reserved by the kernel, you end up with the number you see.

Sorry RMerlin, I now remember you telling someone else the same thing. I need to learn to search better.

With the AC86U and the new 382 code, Flow Cache is CTF and Runner is hardware acceleration. Runner does not work with AiProtect and QoS. Flow Cache still uses the CPU so that is why you still see it being hit as bandwidth goes up. Only Runner is true hardware acceleration bypassing the CPU completely.
I own an AC88u and even CTF is software managed, this excessive CPU use is not happening with v380, so I would need to wait for Asus to fix this (I hope so)

Can 382 be flashed over 380 on the 88U? I know there were issues with the official Asus release, but is it an issue for your release as well?

When viewing the list of clients connected under Network Map > View List, the MAC address is populating the client name instead of using the netbios name. This seems to occur for most devices and various OS. It leads to further problems when say you’re defining openvpn client policy routing. The colon in the MAC address is not an acceptable character so you have to rename it.

Device: RT-AC86U
Firmware: 382.1

@RMerlin
Definitely something up with SSH and I think it's the "Enable SSH Brute Force Protection" option that's causing it.

Enable SSH LAN+WAN access.
Enable SSH Brute Force Protection.
Reboot or toggle restart WAN.
Lost internet access both, intranet seems fine.
Disabled SSH Brute Force Protection without a reboot or WAN restart and internet access is restored.

Confirmed. As a workaround, put the following in init-start:

Code:
modprobe xt_recent

solved the weird high CPU usage issue after few power cycle it again, so no issue now :) I guess I just simply forgot to power-cycle this time even though I normally do it with every major update :p

I also do nvram clear befor n after update; it's actually my first time getting this issue. When I downgrade to 380 based firmware, CPU utilitization back to normal ~0-1%. But once I change to 382 based, the CPU goes back to 15-30%. And that's with everything default, no ai-protection and qos.
6eduMJWll3ysqZJ23
View attachment 10943 can't tell if there is anything actually wrong ;x

hmm you've deff got something different going on than I do.. 1st thing I notice is your 181mb mem usage.. mines been running 2 days now steady at 90-91mb. ive got 3 people online right now and cpu peaking at 7% or lower. you sure ai protection etc is all off? have any usb devices connected?

solved the weird high CPU usage issue after few power cycle it again, so no issue now :) I guess I just simply forgot to power-cycle this time even though I normally do it with every major update :p
oh great!just noticed your last post.. I did apower cycle as part of my upgrade process before that last reset with the button. maybe that's the secret :)

on a personal note.. ive been online with this 2 days now rock solid 0 issues and QOS still working perfectly. I may never upgrade this thing again lol :)

It's not supported because it relies on an old kernel module that is not compatible with Linux 4.1. It would need to be completely rewritten, which is way outside my field of expertise. So IPTraffic is unlikely to ever work on the RT-AC86U.

Since 382 is using kernel version 4.1 - is it now possible to implement IPsec?

The kernel version is router specific. So the 86U is 4.1, but existing routers still run 2.6 with 382.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scandinavian RT-AC88U owner here.
Flashed and factory reset from 380.68_4 to the new kernel yesterday.

Everything works perfectly. Thanks RMerlin.

Confirmed. As a workaround, put the following in init-start:

Code:
modprobe xt_recent

Odd I have ssh LAN+WAN and enable brute force protection enabled and haven’t run into this.

What triggers it?

Only the RT-AC86U is on kernel 4.1. The kernel is not specific to the firmware version, it's specific to the router model.

Asus are working on IPSEC support for select models, we'll have to wait for them to finalize it.

Odd I have ssh LAN+WAN and enable brute force protection enabled and haven’t run into this.

What triggers it?

The issue is only with the RT-AC86U.

Is there a way to remove specific log entries? I ask because my log and many other peoples are getting full of these ERR messages from QOS. Can we remove them each hour with a script? You script writing gods following this thread could help us all out with a way to scrub just these entries.
Code:
Nov 14 08:48:40 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!
Anybody have any input? @thelonelycoder @Adamm

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!