What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"Nov 12 16:16:28 kernel: dhd_prot_ioctl: status ret value is -20"

What is referring too? Thanks!

DHD is the wireless driver. No idea what this message is referring to, but it probably goes with all the other wireless debug log entries generated by this driver build.

Unfortunately multiple devices had issues connecting to the 2,4GHz. 5GHz seems to be ok.
Using Smart Connect Mode.
For now I have to go back to 380.68.4

RT-AC88U

Unfortunately multiple devices had issues connecting to the 2,4GHz. 5GHz seems to be ok.
Using Smart Connect Mode.
For now I have to go back to 380.68.4

RT-AC88U
Noooooooooo!!!
I too have RT-AC88U!!!
Can you explain better?!?
But going back to the previous merlin firmware does not cause any problems, just flash it?

Noooooooooo!!!
I too have RT-AC88U!!!
But going back to the previous merlin firmware does not cause any problems, just flash it?

After a clean startup all devices seems to connect well. But after a while (one hour, some hours) all 2,4 devices loses connectivity. The flags in the Wireless log shows __ __ __. Only solution is to reboot or to toggle wifi 2,4. But after a while similar effect. Tested multiple times.
I didn't rebuild the config, just flashed back to 380.68.4.

After a clean startup all devices seems to connect well. But after a while (one hour, some hours) all 2,4 devices loses connectivity. The flags in the Wireless log shows __ __ __. Only solution is to reboot or to toggle wifi 2,4. But after a while similar effect. Tested multiple times.
I didn't rebuild the config, just flashed back to 380.68.4.
Any other confirmation?

I am just wondering if this RAM consumption is normal (see Attachment):

Model RT-AC86U

My 86U, only just recently bought and flashed with this new release, reset and then configured.....

E6rhw1B.png

I thought that the RAM usage was high, but not sure if that is used or simply "allocated" for some reason and so typical, being new to this router I'm not sure what it would show if using the std firmware...?

Any other confirmation?

I'm using my AC88U with smart connect enabled without any problems with 382.1. I've just flashed router to 382.1 no clean start or any configuration change between 380.68_4.

My 86U, only just recently bought and flashed with this new release, reset and then configured.....

E6rhw1B.png

I thought that the RAM usage was high, but not sure if that is used or simply "allocated" for some reason and so typical, being new to this router I'm not sure what it would show if using the std firmware...?
No worry, it is the same on stock firmware.

I'm having problems with wireless on the RT-AC88U... 2.4Ghz band I see no more than 6-7Mbit DL and 1Mbit UL, with 5Ghz I'm seeing 25-26Mbit DL and 1.5Mbit UL aprox.
I had to rollback to 380.68_4 to get wireless working fine. No problem at all with wired devices

PS: also some times wireless radios dissappears and devices disconnects and reconnects again.

Last edited:
Noooooooooo!!!
I too have RT-AC88U!!!

I have zero wireless problem with my own RT-AC88U. Just test it yourself, not everyone's clients are the same.

Looks like 382 firmware was released for AC68U a few days ago.

Version 3.0.0.4.382.18547
2017/11/10
40.6 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.18547
Security fixed
- Fixed KRACK vulnerability
- Fixed CVE-2017-14491: DNS - 2 byte heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14492: DHCP - heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14493: DHCP - stack based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14494: DHCP - info leak
- Fixed CVE-2017-14495: DNS - OOM DoS
- Fixed CVE-2017-14496: DNS - DoS Integer underflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-13704 : Bug collision
- Fixed predictable session tokens, logged user IP validation, Logged-in information disclosure (special thanks for Blazej Adamczyk contribution)
- Fixed web GUI authorization vulnerabilities.
- Fixed AiCloud XSS vulnerabilities

New features
- HDD Hibernation
- URL filter black/white list
- Bandwidth limiter on guest network
- URL filter support https website

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 85bc6ac207bb0dde8ba04c6162640d62

I recently picked up the 86u and the performance is great but I was having an issue on the stock firmware and was hoping this would fix it. It still seems to be around.
I'm trying to rename the clients and change their icons but they never save. I renamed about 10, but then everything after that just changes back to whatever was originally there for the name. Anyone know a fix?

I am seeing the same issue too. Not all clients, just 1 stubborn one. I think it's a display problem because if you download and install the Android/IOS app, the changes to icon and client name appear to take effect as the app shows the change, just not in the webui.

so am clear, when you say official is it in reference to ASUS stock going to merlin FW? Eitherway, try SSH if that fails, no easy way and reset is the way to go.
sorry guys, i wasn’t in town after the last update. so i installed cfw merlin on stock latest fw. after one hour i was able to use 192.168.1.1 or 0.1 , i don’t know why, and i installed stock firmware again. i have changed the isp and in 1 week they will install gigabyte ethernet and i will again install merlin and give it a try.

I have a AC3100 and the upgrade went great and I'm running solid now. No complaints at all. I reset to factory defaults after the flash. I know this is not a requirement but I figured I would. QOS works way better and AI-Protection works real nice as well. I figured out a way to strip the ERR messages in my logs with the help of @thelonelycoder. Nice work Eric!!

Hi there,

My first post after reading forum weekly. :)

Same issue here with the 382.1 on my RT-AC88U:mad:

The 2.4 band is ok but the 5 band is sadly, often drop, disconnection with all my clients (TV, PC, Ipads, iphones, Xbox360, ATV...) . lags on both 2,4 and 5 band

I download the firmware and installed it, reset factory ...

I had the same issue with the official asus 382 firmware. after trying their firmware i send us an email with these issues but ...

So i have to go back to 380.68_4 to have a stable routero_O

I don't understand that's the problem with the RT-AC88U and the 382 :eek::eek::eek: bu seems many people have issues with this router and 382 firmware

Thanks for your work Merlin, i appreciate it.

Question : there is a difference beetween area (EU / US / ASIA ) for ASUS routeur (wifi bands, firmwares ?)

Last edited:
Hi @RMerlin, maybe I found a bug on 382.1 and RT-AC86U. I don't know if it's cosmetic or it affects the NVRAM values, but when I try to set either the Icon or the Name of the 8th element (and all the subsequent ones) on the Guest WiFi, these values have not been changed (icon remains the default one and the Name is still 'New Device')

No problem instead on the 2.4GHz page (I didn't test the 5GHz since I don't use it)

Anyhow, no errors on the console, either on Chrome or IE 11

Could you check this issue?

EDIT: Maybe the problem is related to the total clients added, since I try to modify the Wireless MAC filter on 2.4GHz now and also if I add a new client there, I cannot modify any longer either the name or the icon; anyhow, the clients I can modify icon/name are 18 in total (both 2,4GHz and guest wifi)

Last edited:
will you release for AC87U?

Read the first post...

The 2.4 band is ok but the 5 band is sadly, often drop, disconnection with all my clients (TV, PC, Ipads, iphones, Xbox360, ATV...) . lags on both 2,4 and 5 band

I have zero problem with my RT-AC88U and the 5 GHz band. Make sure you disable Airtime Fairness, MU-MIMO and implicit beamforming. Also do a complete electrical power cycle of the router if you haven't done so.

Question : there is a difference beetween area (EU / US / ASIA ) for ASUS routeur (wifi bands, firmwares ?)

Available channels and output levels will vary based on your region. That's why you should never buy a router from another region than yours, because in addition of being illegal to operate in your country, some of your clients might be unable to connect on the channels that are normally not available in your region.

Mhhh probably there is an issue on the QOS statistics page too:

Works for me on an RT-AC88U. What kind of WAN interface do you have? I'm non DHCP, it's possible the issue might only happen on PPPoE, or when using VLANs.

Hi @RMerlin, maybe I found a bug on 382.1 and RT-AC86U. I don't know if it's cosmetic or it affects the NVRAM values, but when I try to set either the Icon or the Name of the 8th element (and all the subsequent ones) on the Guest WiFi, these values have not been changed (icon remains the default one and the Name is still 'New Device')

Might possibly be related to the new nvram size validation Asus has implemented in 382. Some of the nvram have very small limitations, which will prevent setting too many entries. While I might be able to adjust this on the RT-AC88U and 3100U, I can't on the RT-AC86U because part of the validation is now closed source. Same issue that made it a nightmare for me to implement support for Policy Rules on the RT-AC86U, as it would limit any new variable to 255 characters max.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!