What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'd like to stay at 382.1, but all setting changes did not help. :(

Unlikely to be caused by the firmware. I have zero problem with my own RT-AC88U, and I regularly stream things, including sports event that I send to my Chromecast.

You should always set the 2.4 GHz band to 20 MHz. 40 MHz on the 2.4 GHz band will never work reliably due to the fact you'd be trying to use nearly half of the available spectrum on your own, and this is regardless of your router.

I will remember to change that then, thanks

what is the ASUSNAT TUNNEL

I don't know for sure. I know one of the services that will rely on it is the forecoming IFTTT support. I think it's also used by Asus's AiHome product. I don't have any more information since most of that code is closed source, and it was never advertized - it just got gradually added to the firmware over the years.

Hi,

got issues with WLAN on RT-AC86U.
If I choose band 2,4GHz and then in prof-settings changing it to 5GHz, when I go back to general WLAN settings I will see 5GHz band with all the values of 2,4GHz (SSID for 2G, channel 13 and so on).
After changing band it will show correct values again.
This could be a pain if you don't look very well at the band selected and click apply it gets confused.

Happens only with FF (v57) and ok with IE.

Last edited:
Is there anyway to resolve the bug where the router disconnects your connection to your ISP when you apply a setting change in the Network Map > Client Status section (device change like block device from the WAN), if you make those changes in the DHCP page it does not do this. This is actually not limited to 382 stream, it seems to happen more frequently to my AC66U (every time) than my AC3100 (sometimes) so when I upgraded to the AC3100 recently I thought it was a non-issue until it finally occurred.

I don't know for sure. I know one of the services that will rely on it is the forecoming IFTTT support. I think it's also used by Asus's AiHome product. I don't have any more information since most of that code is closed source, and it was never advertized - it just got gradually added to the firmware over the years.

Thank you so much for your respond Mr. Sauvageau . I guess even though it's kind of "unknown" area, I am assuming it's still safe to leave it on for now, or does it do anything counterproductive if it's not turned off?

Your upload speed(1 Mbps) is used 100% when your daughter is uploading to youtube that there is no more left for the rest of the network, so naturally, everyone have to wait until the upload is done. Enable QOS and play with the values that will work, at the same time lower the priority of your daugther's pc/mphone/ app category she uses.

Thank you so much for your answer. Currently I have QOS disabled completely, haven't noticed any improvement while having it on. Most likely I did not set all the settings properly anyway. The one thing I've noticed though, when she is uploading (I really don't want to cut on her bandwidth, she loves what she's doing, making tutorials for Minecraft coding, and I totally support her and want her connection to have priority)... the thing I've noticed even while one of her uploads is active, browsing internet in our house comes down to a crawl, but I can perfectly keep playing on my Xbox One S, or PS4 online (Battlefield franchise), I don't even notice any lag or anything like that... while as I already mentioned, it takes up to a 15-20 seconds to even open simple Google search page. Not sure why is acting like that. Just to mention, we don't do these things in the same time often, but just as my observation, I've noticed I tried playing online multiplayers and haven't experienced any trouble. Weird, really weird stuff...

Thank you a million once again, your input is greatly appreciated!

Just spend 5h trying to troubleshoot this new version...

When i did upgrade from 380.68.4 (on this version was all fine VPN, routings, etc) - on new nonVPN clients stopped to work, ive tried different DNS, remove and add IPs into strict mode , behaves strange...like it doesnt take the rules right way or what...

then ive removed script "nat-start" some of them were working

Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o tun11 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun11 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan1 -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -i tun11 -j REJECT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun11 -j MASQUERADE

also tried to do factory reset and setup all from scratch...the same

after i got fed up and moved to 380, on this RT-AC88U_382.1_2 is either something changed in settings behavior or then is some other issue with nat/VPN/DNS settings as on router i was able to ping internet , but i clients didn't work

I had similar routing issues on AC88U with 382.1_2.

Using dual-wan load balancing with routing rules and VPN with policy rules on 382.1_2, VPN appeared to be broken and no longer worked.

After some investigation and checking with ip rule I found that the VPN rule was 4th and 3rd from bottom after main and default on the list. Switching back to 380.68_4, VPN is working and rules are near the top as shown below:

0: from all lookup local
10101: from 192.168.1.200 lookup ovpnc1
10102: from 192.168.1.201 lookup ovpnc1

20100: from 192.168.1.1/26 lookup wan0
20100: from 192.168.1.64/26 lookup wan1
20100: from 192.168.1.128/26 lookup wan1
20200: from 24.x.x.x lookup wan0
20200: from 76.x.x.x lookup wan1
20200: from 23.x.x.x lookup wan0
20200: from 23.x.x.x lookup wan0
20200: from 75.x.x.x lookup wan1
20200: from 75.x.x.x lookup wan1
20400: from all to 24.x.x.x lookup wan0
20400: from all to 76.x.x.x lookup wan1
20400: from all to 23.x.x.x lookup wan0
20400: from all to 23.x.x.x lookup wan0
20400: from all to 75.x.x.x lookup wan1
20400: from all to 75.x.x.x lookup wan1
32766: from all lookup main
32767: from all lookup default

on 382.1_2 it was something like this:

0: from all lookup local
100: from 192.168.1.1/26 lookup wan0
100: from 192.168.1.64/26 lookup wan1
100: from 192.168.1.128/26 lookup wan1
200: from 24.x.x.x lookup wan0
200: from 76.x.x.x lookup wan1
200: from 23.x.x.x lookup wan0
200: from 23.x.x.x lookup wan0
200: from 75.x.x.x lookup wan1
200: from 75.x.x.x lookup wan1
400: from all to 24.x.x.x lookup wan0
400: from all to 76.x.x.x lookup wan1
400: from all to 23.x.x.x lookup wan0
400: from all to 23.x.x.x lookup wan0
400: from all to 75.x.x.x lookup wan1
400: from all to 75.x.x.x lookup wan1

10101: from 192.168.1.200 lookup ovpnc1
10102: from 192.168.1.201 lookup ovpnc1

32766: from all lookup main
32767: from all lookup default

Not sure if this is a bug with new firmware? I know my use case might not be common.

Thanks

I guess even though it's kind of "unknown" area, I am asing it's still safe to leave it on for now, or does it do anything counterproductive if it's not turned off?

Up to you really. Some people prefer to disable unnecessary services, especially if they don't know what they do.

Not sure if this is a bug with new firmware? I know my use case might not be common.

With 382 Asus closed down the source code to the route setup for Dual WAN, meaning I am no longer able to change their priority.

With 382 Asus closed down the source code to the route setup for Dual WAN, meaning I am no longer able to change their priority.

Thanks RMerlin for the quick reply! I'll try to post in Asus forums to follow-up there.

ASUS RT-AC3100. Wireless network does not work 2.4G.
Only 5G network works.
Has ceased to work with firmware 382.1.
Tried to reset and set up again. It does not help.

Minor hiccup I’m experiencing with 382.1_2, when I use the WebUI to navigate through the AI Protection tabs, like Intrustion Protection, etc. the WebUI freezes and only a reboot of the router can bring it back.

Minor hiccup I’m experiencing with 382.1_2, when I use the WebUI to navigate through the AI Protection tabs, like Intrustion Protection, etc. the WebUI freezes and only a reboot of the router can bring it back.

What router model?

I've had one or two other users reporting the same, but so far I've been unable to reproduce it on my own router, so I can't track it down.

Thanks RMerlin for the quick reply! I'll try to post in Asus forums to follow-up there.

I doubt you'll get much out of it, since the stock firmware does not support Policy rules.

You can blame people running Asus-developed features on non-Asus routers for that code getting moved into a closed-source binary now.

ASUS RT-AC3100. Wireless network does not work 2.4G.
Only 5G network works.
Has ceased to work with firmware 382.1.
Tried to reset and set up again. It does not help.

Try a power cycle of your router, turning it off for 5-10 secs. Also make sure you don't use channels 12 or 13, these don't work with all clients even if your region does allow for these channels.

What router model?

I've had one or two other users reporting the same, but so far I've been unable to reproduce it on my own router, so I can't track it down.

AC3100, thanks for all your effort Merlin. Been a lurker for the most part but have been using your firmware for ages.

What router model?

Not having the same problem. In fact I can navigate through AiProtection just fine. But I am having an AiProtection issue I can't seem to nail down. I can't set up email alerts using my Gmail account. I have done this before and it has worked perfectly. I just updated to 382.1_2 yesterday and since I had some free time and hadn't done a factory reset in ages I figured I'd take a little time out to do it and get to a cleaner setup. Anyway, just so you know this is a fresh setup.

It seems to take the password because when I click Apply it goes through the "Applying settings..." and takes me back to the main AiProtection tab when it finishes. But the e-mails don't come through if I test it by going to http://wrs31.winshipway.com. The router blocks me from going there but an email is never sent.

FWIW, I did an nvram-save. I searched for the password field for this setting and it just shows no password. Not currently in front of it at the moment, but the setting is like PM_SMTP_AUTH_PASSWORD or something close to that. I had pulled up an older nvram-save that I had and it did show a password had been set up/saved. So I'm not sure what I'm doing differently this time than I've done in the past but I just can't seem to get it to save my password. If I open up the Alert Preferences to set it up my email address is there as if it's saving that, but I can't get it to save the password apparently.

Oh, RT-AC88U

I am using AC-86U and encountered this strange issue with 382.1
I have several devices connected to the 5Ghz wifi.
While I rebooted one of my devices (windows 10 pc), all the devices connected to the 5Ghz band got disconnected and could no longer connect.
The rebooted PC could no longer connect to 5Ghz.
I logged into the router on 2.4Ghz, changed the channel from 40 to 36 and applied. Didn't help. Switched back to 40 and applied, didn't help.
Only a router reboot (power off and back) allowed the clients to connect to the 5Ghz.
What may cause this?

Not having the same problem. In fact I can navigate through AiProtection just fine. But I am having an AiProtection issue I can't seem to nail down. I can't set up email alerts using my Gmail account.

I’ve always had this problem, on both stock and Merlin. Guess now is a good time to mention it, I remember it working once or twice after a complete router restore but never again ( my old 87U actually sent a test email which was nice ). When I click Apply to accept my Gmail credentials it just sits there, nothing happens.

Not having the same problem. In fact I can navigate through AiProtection just fine. But I am having an AiProtection issue I can't seem to nail down. I can't set up email alerts using my Gmail account. I have done this before and it has worked perfectly. I just updated to 382.1_2 yesterday and since I had some free time and hadn't done a factory reset in ages I figured I'd take a little time out to do it and get to a cleaner setup. Anyway, just so you know this is a fresh setup.

It seems to take the password because when I click Apply it goes through the "Applying settings..." and takes me back to the main AiProtection tab when it finishes. But the e-mails don't come through if I test it by going to http://wrs31.winshipway.com. The router blocks me from going there but an email is never sent.

FWIW, I did an nvram-save. I searched for the password field for this setting and it just shows no password. Not currently in front of it at the moment, but the setting is like PM_SMTP_AUTH_PASSWORD or something close to that. I had pulled up an older nvram-save that I had and it did show a password had been set up/saved. So I'm not sure what I'm doing differently this time than I've done in the past but I just can't seem to get it to save my password. If I open up the Alert Preferences to set it up my email address is there as if it's saving that, but I can't get it to save the password apparently.

Oh, RT-AC88U
Unfortunately I replicated this issue. Tried the site suggested above no email event issued in the system logs as it used to.
EDIT: I found this entry in the logs. It seems the config tried to setup email messages.
Code:
Dec  4 12:46:37 rc_service: httpd 368:notify_rc restart_wrs;restart_firewall;email_conf;send_confirm_mail

Last edited:
Just to add on a little to my earlier comments, I had ssh'd in to my router for a moment just a few minutes ago and found a dead.letter in the root folder. Here is the contents:

Subject: ASUS RT-AC88U Notice - Malicious Sites Blocking
To: <my.email@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:12:45 -0500
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="=-pMN1IiHGYHKtBVE"
X-Mailer: Cleancode.email v3.1.3

--=-pMN1IiHGYHKtBVE
Content-Type: text/plain

Event number : 1
Alert type : Malicious Sites Blocking
Source : (MAC:ADDRESS)
Destination : wrs31.winshipway.com

Event number : 2
Source : (MAC:ADDRESS)

RT-AC88U's AiProtection detected suspicious networking behavior and prevented your device making a connection to a malicious website (see above and the attached log for details).Suggested actions:
1. If you know that the cause of this attempted connection was a proprietary app or program and not a web browser, we recommand that you uninstall it from your device.
2. Ensure your device is up to time in all its operating system patches as well as updates to all apps or programs.
3. You should take this opportunity to check for, and install, any router firmware updates.
4. If you continue to receive such alerts for similar attempted connections, investigation into the cause will be necessary.
Meanwhile, rest assured that AiProtection continues to help keep you safe on the Internet.

You also can link to trend micro website to download security trial software for your client device protection.
http://www.trendmicro.com/

ASUS AiProtection FAQ:
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012070/

--=-pMN1IiHGYHKtBVE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Type: application/unknown; name="NT-AiMonitorMALSevent.txt"
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="NT-AiMonitorMALSevent.txt"

base64 code removed because my MAC address was listed, but here is what the contents was with the MAC removed:

Event Date Event type Source Destination
2017-12-04 14:12:40 Malicious Sites Blocking MAC wrs31.winshipway.com
2017-12-04 14:12:40 Malicious Sites Blocking MAC wrs31.winshipway.com

--=-pMN1IiHGYHKtBVE--

Unfortunately I replicated this issue. Tried the site suggested above no email event issued in the system logs as it used to.
EDIT: I found this entry in the logs. It seems the config tried to setup email messages.
Code:
Dec  4 12:46:37 rc_service: httpd 368:notify_rc restart_wrs;restart_firewall;email_conf;send_confirm_mail

The notification email feature always seemed flaky too me with some times getting it and other times not. I setup 382.1_2 on my AC-3100 couple of days ago. I received the AIProtection alert email first time successfully yesterday after random IP from China started probing my server. Just now I tested using http://wrs31.winshipway.com and received the notification email as well.

In the past on firmware version 380.xx, the feature would work on and off with sometime me receiving email from Gmail and other times not.

Code:
Date: Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:24 PM
Subject: ASUS RT-AC3100 Notice - Malicious Sites Blocking
To: xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

Event number : 1
Source :  (44:A8:42:xx:xx:xx)

Event number : 2
Source :  (44:A8:42:dx:xx:xx)

RT-AC3100's AiProtection detected suspicious networking behavior and prevented your device making a connection to a malicious website (see above and the attached log for details).Suggested actions:
1. If you know that the cause of this attempted connection was a proprietary app or program and not a web browser, we recommand that you uninstall it from your device.
2. Ensure your device is up to time in all its operating system patches as well as updates to all apps or programs.
3. You should take this opportunity to check for, and install, any router firmware updates.
4. If you continue to receive such alerts for similar attempted connections, investigation into the cause will be necessary.
Meanwhile, rest assured that AiProtection continues to help keep you safe on the Internet.

You also can link to trend micro website to download security trial software for your client device protection.
http://www.trendmicro.com/

ASUS AiProtection FAQ:
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012070/

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!