What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
had to reconnect some devices (mobiles and laptop) too, clear them and make a new WiFi connection worked for me.
Maybe it shows different MAC or something like that why some devices will see it as new different network and others dont mind and only look at SSID and PW.

Hello again,

I am wondering what people think "overall" of the new generation 384 Asus Merlin software? What does it have to bring to the table that the older software didn't? Is it stability, performance, design flaw or security issue that Asus improved with 384?

The reason I am wondering if I should upgrade to 384 (from 380.69_2) is because all of my Wemo wifi smart switches do not reconnect after a power outage reboot or even a simple router reboot. Belkin tells me they believe its the router or its firmware and to update it, lol. All my other wifi switches and wifi devices work and connect just fine though.

So, for the past Month I keep thinking to myself maybe this new 384 GPL branch could make a difference just because the software is newer? My AC66U_B1 (same as AC68U) is still running 380.69_2. Of course I will wait for 384.5 because that sounds like it will come with some substantial but needed changes to the UI. Thanks again at Merlin for this great and much appreciated work.

So do you all get the feeling that the 384 branch is better than the old 380 branch?
I personally dont think it is good time for an update, better to stick on coming merlin 380.70 till they got it in summer working without issues.
Dont see any benefit of 384 and AiMesh isnt supported by Merlin, so what?
Of course he has to moove forward with Asus, but no need for us to do so right now!

Last edited:
The only thing left to do, I think, is to record the router - Ubuntu exchange with Wireshark.

Though I honestly enjoy tackling that sort of project, I won't have time for it for at least two weeks, sadly.

Also, for the record, I just now went through another thorough factory reset cycle, without flashing new firmware (stayed with 384.4, to be clear).

When I was done, I couldn't get any Wi-Fi devices to connect--even my iPhone said my password was incorrect. I quadruple-checked the password config on the router, but it was correct.

Just to be thorough, I changed the password to something simple and short, and couldn't connect using that password, either.

So, then I flashed 384.3 again, went through the thorough factory reset cycle again, waited 10 minutes, stepped through the quick setup wizard, power cycled the router to get the WAN working (as I always have to do), and voila--everything in the house works again.

Is anyone else finding 384.3 stable, but seeing 384.4 refusing some or all Wi-Fi connections due to "wrong passwords" that are certainly correct? For anyone jumping in at this point, I have an RT-AC3200.

Though I honestly enjoy tackling that sort of project, I won't have time for it for at least two weeks, sadly.

Also, for the record, I just now went through another thorough factory reset cycle, without flashing new firmware (stayed with 384.4, to be clear).

When I was done, I couldn't get any Wi-Fi devices to connect--even my iPhone said my password was incorrect. I quadruple-checked the password config on the router, but it was correct.

Just to be thorough, I changed the password to something simple and short, and couldn't connect using that password, either.

So, then I flashed 384.3 again, went through the thorough factory reset cycle again, waited 10 minutes, stepped through the quick setup wizard, power cycled the router to get the WAN working (as I always have to do), and voila--everything in the house works again.

Is anyone else finding 384.3 stable, but seeing 384.4 refusing some or all Wi-Fi connections due to "wrong passwords" that are certainly correct? For anyone jumping in at this point, I have an RT-AC3200.
Just a quick question about your password. I know that there has been problems with character use in some areas of the webui. I use symbols in my password but they are very common symbols.
EDIT: You answered that question sorry.

I know that there has been problems with character use in some areas of the webui.

Nothing weird in my password. Plus, usually (but obviously not always, given my last report) with 384.4, most devices work, but some don't, which effectively rules out it being a problem at the GUI level.

So do you all get the feeling that the 384 branch is better than the old 380 branch?

I'm running 384.3 and have had no issues with it. Its stable and seems very robust. With 384.4 I've done everything I can think of (Short of awakening Jobu with some rum and sacrificing a chicken) and cannot get it configured and working. It kills the 2.4 Ghz wireless. At least with the AC86U the 384 branch is where ASUS is going, so I'm headed there too. But I have to stay on .3 until I can figure out the wireless issue, or a newer version magically fixes it.

jobu.jpg

Last edited:
Lmao, rum and sacrificing a chicken..... Hahaha

OK, enough said then, lol. I will update to 380.70 when it releases and keep my chickens alive and well for now. I have a habit of updating things when they don't really need it, but the router is a different story as too many people live here and rely on it to work. Thanks again for the thoughts on this.

There is little bug.
When I set openvpn client config to Default, almost was gone but only Start with WAN setting remained to Yes.
nvram get vpn_clientx_eas => 1,3, (I removed client 3)

Thanks, I'm indeed not handling the compound setting used for WAN start. A similar issue might also be present for DNS support on the Server page, which also relies on a compound setting (that setting is no longer used in 384.5 however).

Need a 384.5 A, for the 3100 !!! o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing weird in my password. Plus, usually (but obviously not always, given my last report) with 384.4, most devices work, but some don't, which effectively rules out it being a problem at the GUI level.
Might want to try to change the SSID , that's one you can try.

I am not sure if you saw my other posts but I have a AC-3200 and I am have the same issue as you and have tried most of the same steps. I ended up just reverting to 384.3

Hi all,

re: 5300

I just completed my reset, actually I cobbled together things from various posts here and kinda created what I hoped to be my special sauce.

1. Shutdown.
  2. Unplug USB. * Set aside for format, during wait periods below.
  3. Restart
  4. Default - GUI, wait 10 min.
  5. Basic config. to gain access.
  6. Shutdown
  7. Preformed Merlins power cycle procedure.
  8. Restart.
  9. Upload fresh copy of firmware.
  10. Shutdown
  11. WPS button default, wait 10 min.
  12. Full config. w/ some exclusions (see 13,14), MANUAL entry of config. no restoring.
  13. (next hour) AB, Skynet are going to be installed.
  14. Holding off on my IP reservations till early next week, to make sure things stick.

So far my initial testing:

1. VPN issue are gone. I have re-started the router 5 times and each time, I can successfully access the VPN. (IPSec) from LAN and Cell.

2. The webUI is WAY snappier. I have no page hangs, especially true when previously viewing the VPN server page, which would lock up the GUI.

3. Site Survey, works (I never had an issue with this prior.) * Pleased honor Merlins post about this earlier in the thread. aka Enough posts about it. I just posted this here for his reference.

4. My SSH connections seem more responsive, or maybe smother is a better term. Previously it always seemed a tiny bit laggy.

It may be a little to early to give thanks, (I hope, that I am wrong!) but, Thanks @RMerlin @skeal @mikelees2 @Grisu I took in a lot of your information, as well as others here, I am hopeful all is well with the 5300.

Ill post back with any good or bad reports as needed.

** Edit my fix was short lived or it was negated by the latest test build update. I am back to manually having to restart the VPN each AM.

* At the moment I am cautiously optimistic that this has alleviated my issues. However its only been up for approximately 2 hours now.

Last edited:
384.4_1 test builds have been uploaded to https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/test-builds, addressing two security issues related to the webui. I'll provide more details once I officially push 384.4_2 out in the coming days. In the mean time I'd advise people to upgrade, and to validate that there are no odd issues with their webui with this test build.

Hello. New here. I have two RT-AC68U's (actually T-Mobile Routers I flashed over) running the 380 firmware. They are both on the same network...one is a router and one is an AP. What is the recommended method for upgrading both to 384 and doing a full reset? If I do a full reset and both have the same default IP at some point, will I have trouble accessing them?

Also, is it OK to use the Reset Defaults button in the GUI under the Restore/Save/Upload Setting tab or is it required to use the physical button on the back of the unit (it is a pain to get to my router).

Last edited:
just start and do, you can connect to each seperately by choosing its WiFi, start with differen SSID so no problem, or turn off one and you can set the other one.
Begin with router, than do AP, but really, completely irrelevant.
After update use reset to factory defaults with initialize and/or reset button some seconds on backside while turned on, make pictures of all settings/pages, would be easier if you cant remember settings.
I would wait for 384.5 comming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!