What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.62_1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Personally I wouldn't use a WINS server because unless you have a specific need for it it just adds another layer of complexity to debug. Having one device (the router or a server if you have one) as the master browser is a good idea though. Without a master browser it can sometimes take a minute or two for name resolution to start.

So would you recommend that I uncheck the box under set as WINS server?

here is an example of what I see...

Code:
C:\>ping surfacepro4
Ping request could not find host surfacepro4. Please check the name and try again.

C:\>ping surfacepro4.

Pinging surfacepro4 [192.168.1.182] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.182:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\>nslookup surfacepro4
Server:  router.asus.com
Address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    surfacepro4
Address:  192.168.1.182

C:\>nbtstat -a surfacepro4

Ethernet:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Wi-Fi:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.86] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Bluetooth Network Connection:

Host not found.

Local Area Connection* 2:

Host not found.

upload_2016-10-16_16-12-10.png

@westmc Like I said, personally I see no advantage to using a WINS server on a single subnet setup. Others have different opinions though.

It looks like your surfacepro4 is turned off, or isn't running NetBIOS. Try testing connectivity to a Windows PC.

NB: NetBIOS short name resolution will only really work for Windows (or Linux with Samba) PC's in a workgroup. If you want to use short names for other devices (like android phones) then, as John said, you'll have to set up a domain.

Last edited:
BTW, by domain they don't mean a Windows Domain. They mean a standard "DNS" domain (i.e. myhome.lan for example).

Hi, Not sure if this is related to this particular update, but on my AC68U I am now getting USB scan errors;
entware: clean, 246/125184 files, 11573/500242 blocks
/dev/sda2 is in use.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

I have a single 8G usb stick in two partitions (data and entware). The data partition is used for logging, tor db, ab-solution, data drive for the media server and as a network share. Everything works fine. If I switch all these off, the error remains.
This error did not occur before. Should I care?
Thanks for any pointers!

Hi!

Is it possible to implement the work of the external client over a VPN channel (PPTP \ OpenVPN) to the router in the TOR network, the TOR client is enabled on the router?

The TOR client option to configure the client Asus has activated for the entire LAN network or to a specific MAC address.

I add MAC client running over a VPN channel - does not work. For the LAN everything works.
FW 62_1
Thanks a lot!

Minor annoyance:
Devices in the dhcp are now mis-identified, and icons can not be assigned properly- see screenshot below. The netbotz-wallbotz (??) is actually a QNAP NAS, and the icon is no longer properly cropped from the sheet?
Issue seems GUI only, everything works fine. Oh- this happens on both my AC68 and my N66 on FW 380.62_1
upload_2016-10-17_12-43-41.png

I just tried 62_1 and parental controls stopped respecting access times. No matter how the devices were set, everything was blocked. Turn off parental controls, and everything works fine. Had to go back to 61_0. This is on an RT-N66U. I searched this thread and couldn't find a mention of this issue. Anybody else see this?

Has anyone else experienced this? I even tried adding a new restriction, after the upgrade, and everything was blocked still, even during periods what I had access specified as allowed. Thanks.

Minor annoyance:
Devices in the dhcp are now mis-identified, and icons can not be assigned properly- see screenshot below. The netbotz-wallbotz (??) is actually a QNAP NAS, and the icon is no longer properly cropped from the sheet?
Issue seems GUI only, everything works fine. Oh- this happens on both my AC68 and my N66 on FW 380.62_1

Something changed in recent Chrome builds, introducing this issue.

Minor annoyance:
Something changed in recent Chrome builds, introducing this issue.

Simply go back to 100% zoom factor in Chrome or use another browser to have the correct view if zoomed... :confused::rolleyes:

Thanks, I appreciate the response, DaveMishSr.

However, I just rebooted the router, and put in the new 380.62.1, just for the cause. I'll try to monitor it more now and see if it happens again.

It's been up for 16-ish days now and running flawlessly. No sign of the old hiccup I was experiencing.

Figured it was worht mentioning.

Simply go back to 100% zoom factor in Chrome or use another browser to have the correct view if zoomed... :confused::rolleyes:

It's not just zooming anymore, changing the Windows DPI will also trigger the issue since the last Chrome update or two, as I'm now experiencing it on my Thinkpad Yoga where I have DPI scaling set to 150%.

It's not just zooming anymore, changing the Windows DPI will also trigger the issue since the last Chrome update or two, as I'm now experiencing it on my Thinkpad Yoga where I have DPI scaling set to 150%.
Same issue using Chrome in a Windows 10 virtual machine on a Mac with Parallels.

The Chrome based browsers are becoming unusable with any zoomed page, and other issues with graphics/image/video are appearing.

In Google Chrome, go to Google.com/images > click a thumbnail , image selection opens then 90% of the time the image just vanishes.

Slide shows posted on online news sites won't run, I get the first 2 images and then the slide show freezes.

Social media sites often won't load properly in Chrome , I use VK.com and many people there have had issues with the site not fully loading and being unable to post images.

We all thought it was the VK servers, it isn't, it's any Chrome based browser.

Change to Cyberfox and all the problems are gone.

The Chrome based browsers are becoming unusable with any zoomed page, and other issues with graphics/image/video are appearing.

While I still prefer to use Chrome for multiple reasons, it's starting to suffer from the same issues that made me drop Firefox, after having used it since back when it was named Firebird: I don't really like the direction they are taking, breaking a lot of things along the way, making changes just for the sake of change. That backspace thing for instance truly messed up my workflow on my laptop, until someone released a reliable addon to bring it back.

What I still love about Chrome is how seamless it works across all my devices, syncing not only bookmarks but also history, and also interfacing with Google Now (I use it a lot on my phone while in transit). But if they don't stop regressing, I might be forced to pick up an older release, and disable its auto update capabilities.

Dunno if anyone else has this issue.

Finally got dd wrt working on my spare AC66U.
Needed a starting script to sync to movistar........doh
Tried it out on the ps4 and games seem more stable.

Gone is the p2p games degrading the longer the session goes on.
Visually it seems a very little bit laggier but instructions dont seem delayed at all.

I had this problem on stock and merlin....so presume its an Asus problem.

Wont load up the AC88U with ddwrt yet as it loses 4 ports

Hi,

I'm having an issue whereby I lose WAN connectivity, it has happened three times in two days, all where when I was streaming something.
First was when I was using the FireTV to stream a 4k video, second time from within Kodi a movie trailer then finally just now watching a 4k video on the FireTV again.

The router stays up but lose the WAN/internet, the first two times I had to turn the router off/on, the one just now I realised the wireless was still live so using the Asus app rebooted it remotely.

How do I troubleshoot this?
Running an RT-AC68U.

YMMV

My main router is located in a centrally located "media closet", and my APs are located at opposite ends of house.
I updated fw from .59 to .62_1.
My impression of the 88 has significantly improved.
The wireless speeds have increased, as well as the range.
I have been able to remove one of my APs. I am able to get reliable 5Ghz throughout my home (single level approx 3000 sqft).

Thank You Merlin for exceptional work.

What's this process? "Oct 15 03:00:26 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM..."

I guess I spoke too soon. I was seeing traffic stats show up right after I did the FW instaoo of .62 (from .621), but checking back tonight, the data is all gone again.

Ah, looks like the stats only show up when I switch it back to using RAM. I did that and rebooted, and now I see stats in the "Last 24 Hours" page. Previously there were no numbers in the graphs and tables. I had tried 2 USB sticks in the router since my FW upgrade, both showed no stats, though they both showed up in Win 10 OK when plugged into the PC. I haven't tried JFFS.

I have a little issue on my rt-ac88u with the leds. Sometimes when the connection is lost and comes back, the led don't turns to white. It stays on red.
And sometimes after a reboot the power led doesn't turn white when boot is finished. Its only off.

Kind regards
Chris

Mobil gesendet über eine Höllenmaschine

I have a little issue on my rt-ac88u with the leds. Sometimes when the connection is lost and comes back, the led don't turns to white. It stays on red.
And sometimes after a reboot the power led doesn't turn white when boot is finished. Its only off.

Kind regards
Chris

Mobil gesendet über eine Höllenmaschine

I would suggest a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!