What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.63_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since upgrading to this new release on my RT-N66U I have been having trouble with the DHCP settings page. The webUI navigates to the page, but it is missing the navigation side bar and top menu bar and the apply button does not work or make any changes. Any suggestions?

Upgrading from what ? If it was an old firmware you may need a factory reset.

Have you tried a different browser?

Have you rebooted the router?

Try powering off the router at the socket, leave for 5 minutes then power on again.

Note that OpenVPN's "Default" cipher was Blowfish. What I did in 380.63 was make the default cipher be explicitly "AES-128-CBC" instead of "Default". That way, after a factory default reset, anyone configuring a VPN without changing the cipher will use a secure cipher. And people with existing configuration having it set to "default" will keep working as before with Blowfish (since the word "default" still refers to the OpeNVPN built-in default, namely BF).

Makes full sense, as I didn't actually do a factory reset although I'm from a very old firmware.

Just thought I wanted to see whether it'll work at all, as I'm just too busy these days.

Just wanted to Ensure that I was on the latest firmware, maybe in a few weeks I'll factory reset and configure everything from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my RT-AC68U running 380.63_2 I have a toshiba 1TB 3.0 portable drive connected to the 3.0 port and formated with NTFS. It works fine -- SMB server, MediaServer(upnp), FTP server are all accessible as expected. But from time to time (it seems when the disk is accessed after a long while of idling, or when I reboot the router) I get bursts of the following warning in system log:

Dec 4 09:52:25 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint

Usually hundreds of them with the same time stamp.

This does not (visibly) affect use, but I am a bit curious. I searched the forum and found reports on this message before, but those seem to come up when the disk could not be mounted. IN my case the disk is mounted and accessible. One suspect I can think of is that the hard drive itself has the "power saving" spindown mechanism that will kick in after a while of idling, after which it will need to spin up again once accessed. That could cause some delay. But (1) the spindown period is much shorter compared to the frequency of the message; and (2) my understanding is that the spindown does not affect response to non-data query, so the driver should not feel the delay.

In the old cases it seems the two solutions are (1) to move away from NTFS; or (2) to use a version with different NTFS module. Is this still the case?

Sean

Turning on 'per IP monitoring' on my RT-AC87U causes it to not boot. Need to hard reset it (clear NVRAM) and start over. I tried it three times, so it's reproducible.

ASUS RT-AC3100 will not finish boot sequence or broadcast wireless signal after flashing to 380.63_2; same issue with 380.63_0. Anyone else run into this?

Rolled back to 380.62_1 and the router is rock solid again.

Turning on 'per IP monitoring' on my RT-AC87U causes it to not boot. Need to hard reset it (clear NVRAM) and start over. I tried it three times, so it's reproducible.

I encountered same issue and disabling "NAT Acceleration" under LAN > Switch Control first and then enabling per IP monitoring seemed to resolve that problem.

ASUS RT-AC3100 will not finish boot sequence or broadcast wireless signal after flashing to 380.63_2; same issue with 380.63_0. Anyone else run into this?

Rolled back to 380.62_1 and the router is rock solid again.
Yes. Have to hard reset (on/off). Signal is transmitted but no connection is possible.

My experience with this firmware and every single other one I have used on my 87 is they are all rock solid and stable. I have never had a single issue. Maybe you should do some digging into your settings and environment and search for a problem there.
If you mean using some of the included features in intended ways (e.g. aiProtection, maybe Traffic Analysis) is the cause of the router being unstable, I agree. But that's not particularly helpful! We don't buy these expensive routers to turn off all but the most basic features.

Now, I'm certainly not blaming RMerlin for these problems. I know some of the firmware (the Trend Micro stuff, in particular, I think) is closed source and anyway we cannot expect him to fix all issues with the original code, but just saying "it works here, if it doesn't work for you you are using it wrong" is not very constructive!

I encountered same issue and disabling "NAT Acceleration" under LAN > Switch Control first and then enabling per IP monitoring seemed to resolve that problem.
I just put a new RT-AC3100 in place as my main router - and when I did I went from the default ASUS firmware to thie 380.63_2 level directly and so far I have not seen either problem - it boots fine and I have a couple of wireless connecting to it just fine.

Works normally for me. Try out the recent 380.64 alpha build, also try a different disk in case it's an issue with your disk that gets triggered when the IPTraffic daemon starts accessing the disk.

Works normally for me. Try out the recent 380.64 alpha build, also try a different disk in case it's an issue with your disk that gets triggered when the IPTraffic daemon starts accessing the disk.

I will give it a try. Thanks.

If you mean using some of the included features in intended ways (e.g. aiProtection, maybe Traffic Analysis) is the cause of the router being unstable, I agree. But that's not particularly helpful! We don't buy these expensive routers to turn off all but the most basic features.

Now, I'm certainly not blaming RMerlin for these problems. I know some of the firmware (the Trend Micro stuff, in particular, I think) is closed source and anyway we cannot expect him to fix all issues with the original code, but just saying "it works here, if it doesn't work for you you are using it wrong" is not very constructive!

Quite so. However I took a deep breath and installed the latest 380.64 beta with a full reset before and after installation and I'm please to say after 5 days of use it is stable and all issues outlined previously have been resolved with traffic analysis and all trend micro settings in operation. Hopefully others who have been suffering as I will experience the same improvement whether installing the beta or waiting for the final release. Am guessing the full reset after installation is likely to be important but no way to say for certain. Also Webui interface much much faster.
Thank you Merlin for all your hard work on the latest release - so pleased to have a stable router back.

I've experienced the same problem (also reproducible) since version .50 (got up to .59 and went back to Jon's .43 LTS)
If I turn iptraffic without first disabling NAT acceleration (as pointed out by BillyBobX) the router will crash on restart.
Before that version, it would automatically disable NAT acceleration once you activated iptraffic, so something might be wrong in the detection mechanism.

How come Beta 2 is 9Mb smaller than Beta 1?

upload_2016-12-15_11-38-38.png

How come Beta 2 is 9Mb smaller than Beta 1?

View attachment 7996
You can find the change log here.
"ad163cd build: no longer include Download Master install packages in the firmware for all targets rather than just those with low rootfs space." is the reason why it is smaller.

OK. I understand...or not....Do I update the same way? Will there be any differences to me as a user? Will it be like this in the future or just with beta-2?

OK. I understand...or not....Do I update the same way? Will there be any differences to me as a user? Will it be like this in the future or just with beta-2?
Do you have any USB storage device? If not, the change won't affect you. If you do, do you use Download Manager in USB Application? If you are not using it, this won't affect you as well. I think Download Manager is used for doing torrent or downloading files and save it directly to USB storage that is attached to the router without having your PC on all the time.

Do you have any USB storage device? If not, the change won't affect you. If you do, do you use Download Manager in USB Application? If you are not using it, this won't affect you as well. I think Download Manager is used for doing torrent or downloading files and save it directly to USB storage that is attached to the router without having your PC on all the time.

Thanks. I do not use any USB-storage since I have a NAS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!