What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Noticed the CPU 1 Core @ 100% when adaptive QoS is enabled in AC88U w/ 380.65_2... had to revert back to 380.65

Upgraded AC87U from 378.56-2 to 380.65-2 with all the resets possible. MU-MIMO enabled, Airtime Fairness enabled. MIMO works great. After 12 days some of my devices lost the 5G network. Restarted router. all fine again. With the 378.54 this happened every 6-7 days.

TorGuard OpenVPN 2.4 Client Setup for ASUS Merlin 380.65 & 380.65_2 has been posted to the VPN forum.

I put this guide together for several reasons.
  • My VPN provider is TorGuard. The documentation on the TorGuard website has not been updated for ASUS Merlin 380.65 release, which has been updated from OpenVPN 2.3 to OpenVPN 2.4.
  • There are some setup differences when compared to PIA. Despite the differences, the OpenVPN Client configuration with Policy Rules outlined in this guide helped a PIA customer get their OpenVPN 2.4 Client working after he tried for three weeks with no success with 380.65.
  • I encountered issues with AB-Solution 3.6.5 when using Policy Rules with OpenVPN 2.4 that did not occur with prior OpenVPN releases.
  • Some forum members have been unable to get OpenVPN 2.4 working with the ASUS Merlin 380.65 release.
It had to be divided into three separate posts to accommodate character limits of forum postings.

Part I
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asus-merlin-380-65-380-65_2-part-i.38281/

Part II

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asus-merlin-380-65-380-65_2-part-ii.38282/

Part III
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asus-merlin-380-65-380-65_2-part-iii.38283/

Asus RT-N66W working in router mode. No DHCP, no WAN connection - all real routing is performed by RT-AC66U connected upper.

No USB devices, just connection of several clients via WiFi and Ethernet.
Every morning 5.0 GHz band is down. Also I cannot connect to web-interface of N66W. AC66U works OK.
The only solution is reboot.

Anybody expects the similar problems on 380.65?

Also sometimes the device loses connection to upper AC-66U with the following in logs:

And the most surprising: the time settings are the same at both routers, but time in log of N66W is incorrect.
I know that this is not a correct place, though couldn't find the way to for this

I have RT-N66U 450Mbps Dark Knight, loaded with the latest build available from Merlin - I have no 5Ghz radio on, no LED, no available and broadcasting! However I do have configuration available on WEB GUI which shows my 5GHZ radio is enabled and broadcasting! I did numerous restarts and resets, but nothing helps
Any ideas? Please help!

What is the latest 380.65 build ?

Still no problems. Thanks a lot Merlin. I tried the stock ASUS firmware and it just didn't feel the same.

Brilliant stuff once again. :).

I'm new to using Merlin's firmware but yesterday morning, after struggling with my RT-AC88U stock firmware not being able to maintain an IPv6 connection I flashed to 380.65_2 and everything changed for me. I lost my initial connection immediately after flashing but once I completely powered down and came back up my router has maintained the IPv6 connection to Comcast which was what I was looking for. Thank you so much Merlin for providing this functionality to people and Asus should hire you to build their firmware.

I want to report I have been having the same 5Ghz issues with 380.65_2 on my AC5300 and AC3100.

They work for several hours and then drop all their connections and dont reshow I have to powercycle the routers.

@RMerlin So _3 should work better?

I want to report I have been having the same 5Ghz issues with 380.65_2 on my AC5300 and AC3100.

They work for several hours and then drop all their connections and dont reshow I have to powercycle the routers.

@RMerlin So _3 should work better?

Not if you want your routers to work.

The -3 version is a test release for the RT-AC3200 model only.

RMerlin said:
Please try the 380.65_3 test build I uploaded for the RT-AC3200 in the Test Build folder:

Not if you want your routers to work.

The -3 version is a test release for the RT-AC3200 model only.

Yeah thanks I checked out the Test Build folder. There was a _4 version available for all three of my routers models. Will test it out and report back if there any further issues.

Last edited:
I looked in the test build folder and see an alpha for the RT-AC88U but since 380.65_2 is working so well I'm hesitant to give it a try.

I compiled 380.65_4 late last night, but didn't have the time to run any tests before heading to bed. I uploaded them all on the Test_Builds folder, so if you guys could test it out for me, I'd really appreciate it (spare time is still limited here. Long story short - I'm in the final stages of taking over the company for which I had been working for the last 18 years, so that's a lot of things to deal with these days.)

What I need tested specifically:

RT-AC3200: make sure that wifi and Ethernet remains stable, unlike with 380.65_2 (so I especially need feedback from people who DID have problems with 380.65_2, as I'm unable to reproduce it so far)

RT-N66U, RT-AC66U and RT-AC5300: I partly reverted a fix from 380.65 that would cause the router to reboot itself three times if you had manually disabled one of the radios. It seems that Asus had this in place due to a hardware issue where a radio could randomly fail to initialize at boot. I've put the reboot back in place, but limited it to one single reboot. I need people with one of these three models to disable one of their two radios, reboot the router, and watch the LEDs to confirm that the router will reboot itself once during that boot.

If all goes well, I will move these files to the usual download folders.

Thank you for your feedback.

I compiled 380.65_4 late last night, but didn't have the time to run any tests before heading to bed. I uploaded them all on the Test_Builds folder, so if you guys could test it out for me, I'd really appreciate it (spare time is still limited here. Long story short - I'm in the final stages of taking over the company for which I had been working for the last 18 years, so that's a lot of things to deal with these days.)

What I need tested specifically:

RT-AC3200: make sure that wifi and Ethernet remains stable, unlike with 380.65_2 (so I especially need feedback from people who DID have problems with 380.65_2, as I'm unable to reproduce it so far)

RT-N66U, RT-AC66U and RT-AC5300: I partly reverted a fix from 380.65 that would cause the router to reboot itself three times if you had manually disabled one of the radios. It seems that Asus had this in place due to a hardware issue where a radio could randomly fail to initialize at boot. I've put the reboot back in place, but limited it to one single reboot. I need people with one of these three models to disable one of their two radios, reboot the router, and watch the LEDs to confirm that the router will reboot itself once during that boot.

If all goes well, I will move these files to the usual download folders.

Thank you for your feedback.

I had flashed it earlier this morning and tested it out a bit on my AC3100.

First things I noticed/checked:
-Adaptive QoS Traffic Statistics reverted back to not classifying stuff correctly. Everything was default. This has been fixed in .66 A2.
-Traffic Monitor - Traffic still does not show any reception/traffic on wireless bands 2.4g/5g. WAN/LAN show perfectly fine. (Still doesn't work correctly on .66 A2)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!