What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 (and 384.13_2) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet you've just acknowledged it has nothing to do with Merlin's firmware.

Perhaps you should investigate your environment for signal interference. This may be more productive.
I have to AC5300 routers. The 384.14 has a significant lower signal then the 384.13.
Both routers on 384.14 demonstrate both a lower signal strength. So I exclude the environment as moving back to 384.13 brings the signal strength back alive.

So apparently 384.14 has an influence on the signal strength. What it is I have no clue (obviously).

I upgraded my RT-AC86U at 4am and my signal strength is indeed slightly lower than with B3. Not a lot, maybe 5% but I can see it.

@SheikhSheikha and @htismaqe while the indicated signal strength is lower, is the throughput also negatively affected?

I upgraded my RT-AC86U at 4am and my signal strength is indeed slightly lower than with B3. Not a lot, maybe 5% but I can see it.
Thanks...I will not update my RT-68P yet as I see multiple users reporting wifi signal degrade....will wait a few more days.

Haven't tested it yet. Was just chiming in so that people didn't think he was crazy.

Thanks...I will not update my RT-68P yet as I see multiple users reporting wifi signal degrade....will wait a few more days.

I wouldn't write it off. It's just two people that I've seen and I haven't seen anything to suggest throughput is affected, just signal strength and PHY rates.

I wouldn't write it off. It's just two people that I've seen and I haven't seen anything to suggest throughput is affected, just signal strength and PHY rates.
Not writing it off...just giving it some time to see if there are other issues since I currently have none.

I did notice slightly slower speeds under 14 at the same distance from my AC88U router after upgrading from 13, but chalked that up to just randomness.

Today though I noticed significantly lower speeds and found that my iPad had switched from the 5.4 to 2.4 network. I’ve never seen that happen before. It should only switch if the signal strength get significantly low, which I’ve never seen happen unless I go outside.

I’m hoping that’s a one off thing as my 2.4 network isn’t as good (54 Mbps speeds vs 300) do to interference.

Just upgraded the RT-AX88U I am testing from the
RT-AX88U_384.14_beta3-new-g6ed03020e2_ubi firmware I was running before.

Even though that version is 85.5 MB and the final 384.14 is 79.8 MB, I did not see any appreciable decrease in the time needed to do the upgrade. What I did notice though is that the WiFi was available quicker than any other flash I have performed on this new v1.1 (China) RT-AX88U in the short time I've had it.

Before flashing from the previous firmware noted above, I rebooted the router and waited 10 minutes for it to settle down. The indicated connection varied between 150/160 to 300 Mbps on my 2.4GHz device (didn't bother to get a 5GHz enabled device to test with) and at almost the furthest possible distance (almost 60' and 4 or 5 walls, depending on how the signal bounces to get to the corner I am at) I can test from in my home.

Fast.com showed this for my 1Gbps up/down connection on this device:
59Mbps download
44Mbps upload
3ms unloaded and 212ms loaded

Even with the less than stellar numbers above, the internet feels very fast on this old device. :)

After flashing 384.14 'dirty' and waiting the same 10 minutes for the router to settle down, the connection fluctuates between 170/270 and 300 Mbps.

Fast.com showed this for my 1Gbps up/down connection on this device after the upgrade:
57Mbps download
55Mbps upload
2ms unloaded and 307ms loaded

The browsing speed on my old 2.4GHz device doesn't feel much different at all from before the flash, honestly, it even seems quicker. :)

With the most 'worst-case' scenario I can come up with before I have a coffee, I don't see any issues on this final release.

Thanks to RMerlin and all the other behind the scene contributors for another fine release.

RT-AC68U: dirty upgrade from .13 to .14. Upgrade itself went fine but am now hit with this:
disco.jpg

Went to the Administration->System page, no Network Monitoring was enabled. Tried Ping, no luck. Tried DNS Query, no luck. It appears to be a visual problem only, access to the internet is working.

Last edited:
@SheikhSheikha can you try slightly moving your router (up/down/left/right/spin) to give some coverage to those dead spots?

Seeing identical mis-behavior on the same model (same DNS servers too) and also had already checked that no network monitoring was enabled.

RT-AC68U: dirty upgrade from .13 to .14. Upgrade itself went fine but am now hit with this:
disco.jpg

Went to the Administration->System page, no Network Monitoring was enabled. Tried Ping, no luck. Tried DNS Query, no luck. It appears to be a visual problem only, access to the internet is working.

The upgrade from .13 to .14 went so quickly that I thought that it didn't take. Still running great this morning.

Thanks again, Merlin!

Router: RT-1900P (Using Fresh JR QOS, Diversion, AMTM, APCUPSD W/Lighthttpd, 1GB Swap File, OpenVPN Server)
AP: AC68U

Did a dirty upgrade from 384.13 to 384.14. Smoothest upgrade yet. The router seems to be performing much faster. Web GUI is much more responsive than .13. Overall internet and network performance seems to have improved as well though speedtest show the same results as always. I’m very impressed and happy so far. Only issue I encountered was dropped packets from a Raspberry PI 3B+ with a Edimax Wireless AC adapter that was working fine before. Simple reboot of the Router a second time, then AP a second time, then the PI itself for the third time seem to iron out that issue. I’ll report if I encounter any issues.

The main reason why the webui may seem faster is purely due to caching. When you log in your router, static content such as images and CSS is getting cached, for a few minutes. When you log back in after flashing the new firmware, you are reusing that cached content, hence it seems faster.

Since cache time to live is kept fairly short, it won't be there if you reaccess your router in a few hours.

updated my 86u and no issues thus far. is it advisable to use AiProtect on a merlin firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!