What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15 (and 384.13_4) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone messing around with these things and have a solution? Tasker?
I have OpenVPN on my Android set to connect to my router by its WAN address (through dynamic DNS) and it doesn't care whether I'm at home or away, I'm always connected.

I'm new to this forum and have lurked for sometime to try and learn more about Merlin firmware. I've had an ASUS RT-AC1900P for a couple of years running previous versions of Merlin successfully. One of the most useful things I learned was that by doing a hard reset it can be quite helpful, in the case of this upgrade it has cleared/freed some of the NAVRAM, as well the check for firmware updates is working again. Thank you everyone for your interesting posts!

No, updating firmware or amtm is independent of each individual script's version.

To update each script installed via amtm, start amtm, type 'u' and you will see which scripts need an update.

You will still need to go to that script and then type 'u' or the appropriate command in that script to update it. For example, in Skynet, you would type in '10' and then '1'.

Specifically for the @Jack Yaz scripts (at least currently), you will need to not only enter 'u', but afterward, also go back to that script and type in 'uf' too.

After all the scripts are updated there may be multiple tabs showing for some of them in 'Tools' in the GUI. Simply reboot the router to get rid of the duplicate tabs. Or, if you will be updating the firmware anyway, let that reboot do it for you. :)
Thanks for replying back . So, i tried to ssh into my router via putty with Port set to 22, i received an error "Network Error Connections Refused". Any idea how i fix it. Do you think this could be due to AX88U firewall blocking it as it's on? How else can i connect to the router via putty?

One again, I'm not referring to the wan-related scripts. I'm referring to the services-start script which is related to all services, not just wan-related functions.
I understand that. I'm trying to show services-start script that is it NOT in the changelog or mentioned in release notes. Mine is working fine with all cron jobs started and running.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cru a lights_off "0 22 * * * /jffs/scripts/ledsoff.sh"
cru a lights_on "0 7 * * * /jffs/scripts/ledson.sh"
cru a restart_httpd "3 */6 * * * service restart_httpd"
/jffs/scripts/uiScribe startup # uiScribe
/jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin startup # ntpMerlin

If it is not working for you, then you have some other issue going on, and suggest you start a new thread about that, since it appears to be off topic for this thread. :)

Thanks for replying back . So, i tried to ssh into my router via putty with Port set to 22, i received an error "Network Error Connections Refused". Any idea how i fix it. Do you think this could be due to AX88U firewall blocking it as it's on? How else can i connect to the router via putty?

Did you enable ssh in the GUI?

Administration, System, Service? LAN only? Allow Password Login?

Successful dirty upgrade from 384.13 to 384.15.
External usb drive with entware. Did a router reboot before upgrading.
All is working as before.

Paraphrasing here, but wan-start is the supported way forward, while services-start will be depreciated in the next one or two releases.

That's incorrect. Wan-start is the one getting deprecated in favor of wan-event. And I haven't mentinned any change to services-start.

Did you enable ssh in the GUI?

Administration, System, Service? LAN only? Allow Password Login?
I'm in. Thanks for guiding me to that.

Since I don't know what exactly these scripts do, so i would need your guidance again as to which scripts i should install and update that you feel i need from security and other perspective. I don't think i would need all of these to install and update. Please let me know the names i should install and update.

Thanks

Paraphrasing here, but wan-start is the supported way forward, while services-start will be depreciated in the next one or two releases.

Please use the search for specific changes as applied to your setup. :)

"wan-event" is the new successor of "wan-start" script and "wan-start" is considered depreciated now.

There's no change for the "services-start" script in 384.15 and it's not obsolete nor discontinuing.

Edit : I apologise for posting the correction before reading the subsequent posts because now I feel bad lol.

I've just posted this somewhere, oh, here. :)

I'll repeat it here for @Jugnu. :)

"That (RMerlin v385.15_0) will give you amtm support built-in and with a spare USB drive, you can have an even more secure network and even a faster one too. (Specifically; amtm, Ext4 USB drive w/journaling enabled, a 2GB swap file, Diversion, Entware, Skynet and Unbound. Many more scripts you may want to explore, but the preceding list is a good baseline). :)

And while you won't have to install amtm when RMerlin 384.15_0 is installed, you may still want to follow the amtm Step-by-Step guide also found in the link in my signature below. :)"

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V384.15_beta1 to V384.15 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 30+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U router and backup AC3100 router.

I've just posted this somewhere, oh, here. :)

I'll repeat it here for @Jugnu. :)

"That (RMerlin v385.15_0) will give you amtm support built-in and with a spare USB drive, you can have an even more secure network and even a faster one too. (Specifically; amtm, Ext4 USB drive w/journaling enabled, a 2GB swap file, Diversion, Entware, Skynet and Unbound. Many more scripts you may want to explore, but the preceding list is a good baseline). :)

And while you won't have to install amtm when RMerlin 384.15_0 is installed, you may still want to follow the amtm Step-by-Step guide also found in the link in my signature below. :)"
Thanks once again. I'll go ahead and read about the tools to see if i should add any other than what you suggested.

One last thing, I just formatted my 14gb USB drive with EXT4 and plugged into my AX88U front USB port and the router shows no USB plugged in. My other USB port in the back already in use and don't think front vs back USB port should matter. Any idea why router won't recognize my USB.

Anyone managed to upgrade successfully via the android Asus router app?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks once again. I'll go ahead and read about the tools to see if i should add any other than what you suggested.

One last thing, I just formatted my 14gb USB drive with EXT4 and plugged into my AX88U front USB port and the router shows no USB plugged in. My other USB port in the back already in use and don't think front vs back USB port should matter. Any idea why router won't recognize my USB.

I wouldn't know unless it's physically not pushed in enough (or, not able to be pushed in enough because of its design).

But I would recommend to format it directly on the router itself using amtm though, following the amtm Step-by-Step guide. :)

Upgrade from beta to 384.15 flawless. Router sailing along happily in all respects.

Upgrade from beta to 384.15 flawless. Router sailing along happily in all respects.

Not yet! Are you running Unbound? :D

Then, you'll be sailing along merrily! :)

Not yet! Are you running Unbound? :D

Then, you'll be sailing along merrily! :)
There's a lot of discussion over on the Unbound thread that is scary. Lots of Unix commands and stuff. I'm a pure end-user, so I'm wary of any script/feature/product that isn't ready for an end-user to be able to run via fairly simple ui/gui. That's not meant as any sort of criticism of Unbound, only that it seems more complex than say, Diversion or Skynet. How does Unbound work with my current settings in my DNS WAN? Who knows?

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-02-09 192531.jpg
    Annotation 2020-02-09 192531.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 236
There's a lot of discussion over on the Unbound thread that is scary. Lots of Unix commands and stuff. I'm a pure end-user, so I'm wary of any script/feature/product that isn't ready for an end-user to be able to run via fairly simple ui/gui. That's not meant as any sort of criticism of Unbound, only that it seems more complex than say, Diversion or Skynet. How does Unbound work with my current settings in my DNS WAN? Who knows?
I give this fw and its script abilities the Griswald Approval of Easy!
Follow the install steps which are usually in post #1 and experience the power and functionality of your fully functioning Death Star! i mean router.

I wouldn't know unless it's physically not pushed in enough (or, not able to be pushed in enough because of its design).

But I would recommend to format it directly on the router itself using amtm though, following the amtm Step-by-Step guide. :)
Got it to work and install few of the tools via amtm. I see them in router web UI.
Have you installed dnsencrypt? Should i install it despite having DENSEC, DOT turned on or is this something different from all these?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!