What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.17 (and 384.13_8) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty flash 384.16 to 384.17 on RT-AC86U and AC5300 [Aimesh node].

I ALWAYS eject USB drive first - result ... No problems ... unlike a few of the prior posts where it seems to me folk try to flash with negligible RAM available and then hit hiccups with incomplete or corrupt upgrades. :oops::rolleyes:

Maybe add cautionary message and prompt in next major firmware build update in the webui ... "Confirm that you have ejected USB - > Cancel or Confirm" I'm convinced that will put an end to many of the new firmware "error" posts. ;)

I follow the guidelines in one of L&LD’s posts. I’ve bookmarked it as L&LD’s Dirty Flash Guide.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-384-11-is-available.56501/page-2#post-488583

Nothing cryptic. My current release cycle is around 2 months per release, and since currently Asus's GPL releases are all over the place, it will probably be quite some time before I can get GPL releases for all models, and for these to all be compatible with one another. Right now, if I were to merge the newer GPL code currently available, I would only be able to support maybe 3 models out of the 10 that I usually support.

Does Asus use code from you, sometimes, in their codebase?
I would love to see two OpenVPN server configurations in their official builds, that's major selling point for me for Merlin build :)

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V384.16 Final to V384.17 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 30+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers.

I dirty flashed a RT-AX3000 from 384.16 to 384.17 and I was unable to ping or SSH via Putty from my Windows 10 laptop to my Linux clients. I logged into the router via SSH and I was able to ping and SSH. I reverted back to 384.16 and I was able to ping and SSH again. Should I have done a factory reset going to 384.17?

Does Asus use code from you, sometimes, in their codebase?

Yes, occasionally. Their initial OpenVPN implementation for instance came from me, until they rewrote most of it (but kept most of my webui code).

I dirty flashed a RT-AX3000 from 384.16 to 384.17 and I was unable to ping or SSH via Putty from my Windows 10 laptop to my Linux clients.

This has nothing to do with the firmware, as this is just LAN-based traffic switching. Chances are the machines didn't had an updated lease yet, or they ended up on a different IP address.

I will skip this release and wait for 384.18 alpha, based on latest ASUS code for AC86U, so I can test Open NAT.

Yes, occasionally. Their initial OpenVPN implementation for instance came from me, until they rewrote most of it (but kept most of my webui code).

This has nothing to do with the firmware, as this is just LAN-based traffic switching. Chances are the machines didn't had an updated lease yet, or they ended up on a different IP address.
Ok, disagree but thanks for your feedback.

Hi

I never had any problem with the fw, always good and fast, but this time the WAN LED went red and I wasn't able to fix it, so I returned to the last FW and everything worked fine ( after I turned LED OFF and ON, it changed from RED to WHITE ), the funny fact is that the webgui says that there is no connection but I have it in wifi and cable, with the Wan LED red or white, something got crazy.

I did some reboots and now is everything okay, but the router keep returning that has no connection, but I have, any tip?

Model - AC86U

Capturar.jpg

Under Administration->System, Basic Config section, there is a setting for Network Monitoring. Some have found that changing from ping to DNS query solves the issue. Double check DNS settings too.

Upgraded my friends RT-AC87U + my home backhauled AiMesh RT-AX88U + 2x RT-86U's. Upgraded the RT-AX88U with USB drive installed (Diversion, Skynet, AMTM, Unbound etc) and all ok, plus a subsequent reboot.

What didn't work well was the power/off on of the RT-AX88U with the USB drive installed. The 5GHz didn't enable and 5GHz units panel led light off. Powered off/on again after removing the USB flash drive, and an error free power-up. Then installed the USB drive and all operational. Had this solidly in the .14/.15/.16 levels. Time to try a different USB flash drive (as they so unreliable...good place to start).

Check your system log and monitor CPU usage with top.
Thanks.
downloaded firmware file again, re-apply upgrade and currently everything seems OK (further tests today).

Rgds,
GS

I dirty flashed a RT-AX3000 from 384.16 to 384.17 and I was unable to ping or SSH via Putty from my Windows 10 laptop to my Linux clients. I logged into the router via SSH and I was able to ping and SSH. I reverted back to 384.16 and I was able to ping and SSH again. Should I have done a factory reset going to 384.17?

Check DHCP Server IP range.
In my case, the IP range is reset to default after upgrade.

I dirty flashed a RT-AC88U from 384.16 to 384.17 . After that I was unable to receive or send mail by 2 of my 4 mail accounts . (Gmail and Telenet Belgium don't work anymore) After going back to version 384.16 everything was fine again. Any idea ?

Is it okay to leave USB flash with Entware and other scripts connected during upgrade from .16 to .17?

I dirty flashed a RT-AC88U from 384.16 to 384.17 . After that I was unable to receive or send mail by 2 of my 4 mail accounts . (Gmail and Telenet Belgium don't work anymore) After going back to version 384.16 everything was fine again. Any idea ?
What do you send mail with? Curl has a smtp problem which is fixed. Works for me :p

upgraded RT-AC88U from 384.16 to 384.17.

Still got a problem with the hour_monitor: daemon terminates right away.

Reported a bug for this on github.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!