What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I installed the script on my AC68u which went well rebooted and dnsleaktest and OpenDNS both show it's working. Then after a minute if I test again OpenDNS is not working and all servers revert to local google dns. When I reboot the router DNScrypt works for a minute or two before reverting.

I installed the script on my AC68u which went well rebooted and dnsleaktest and OpenDNS both show it's working. Then after a minute if I test again OpenDNS is not working and all servers revert to local google dns. When I reboot the router DNScrypt works for a minute or two before reverting.
I had this and had to run the installer again.

Thanks for the tip. I wonder if it is related to the server selection. Does the router fallback to local DNS (leak) if the DNSCrypt fails to validate? I haven't reinstalled yet but I noticed it goes back and forth when using the OpenDNS test page. I'll try the reinstall and report back.

Last edited:
Reinstalled, same issue. Intermittent OpenDNS confirmation. I didn't install Entware, is that a requirement for DNSCrypt?

Reinstalled, same issue. Intermittent OpenDNS confirmation. I didn't install Entware, is that a requirement for DNSCrypt?
Other thing I did was to only select 1 cisco for opendns (11?)

The other dnscrypt I selected also caused this issue iirc.

Having trouble with the OpenNIC Tier2 DNS server and this wizard - everything works but having error in system log with obtaining certificates. How to fix this?

If I choose OpenDNS it works fine - think this is server specific

Also anyway to edit the config file to change DNS servers without running the installer again?

Found how to change DNS server without re-installing: edit /jffs/dnscrypt/.config

Now anyone know why I keep getting "Unable to retrieve server certificates" for OpenNic?

This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to use DNSCrypt with the Unblockr DNS servers?

Can I append two alternative OpenDNS servers to
Code:
/jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv
which are not in the list by default?

Two DNS servers outperform the ones supplied in the list slightly, whenever I'm benchmarking, so I'd like to use these instead.

Also, is there any use entering DNS-servers on the WAN-settings page, as all my traffic goes through DNSCrypt, as configured when installing?

And a last question, following up on the previous question: I've configured a (more) child-friendly DNS Server (OpenDNS Family) on the AIProtection Settings page (Parental Controls > DNS Filtering), for the devices my kid uses. I'm wondering, are these even used when all DNS-traffic is routed through DNScrypt?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow up on my issue where DNSCrypt worked on router reboot then failed after a few minutes. The problem only occurs when I enable IPv6 in AsusMerlin . Its worked solid ever since I disabled IPv6.

Last edited:
Has anybody seen a case where Dnscrypt caused issue with a site? I have one specific site that i connect to that will not serve to me via dnscrypt. If i turn it off the site loads, dnscrypt on.. no bueno.

This is not working for me:

nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com

results for me in:
admin@R7000:/tmp/home/root# nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com
BusyBox v1.25.1 (2017-07-16 21:49:40 MSK) multi-call binary.

Usage: nslookup [HOST] [SERVER]

Query the nameserver for the IP address of the given HOST
optionally using a specified DNS server

Whats the take here please?

This command only works from a windows client :)

This is not working for me:

nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com

results for me in:
admin@R7000:/tmp/home/root# nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com
BusyBox v1.25.1 (2017-07-16 21:49:40 MSK) multi-call binary.

Usage: nslookup [HOST] [SERVER]

Query the nameserver for the IP address of the given HOST
optionally using a specified DNS server

Whats the take here please?
nslookup on the router is a stripped down version provided by busybox. There are no extra options (-type=txt is invalid). You can only specify host and server.

Also, please note the R7000 isn't supported by Merlin.

Anyone who can help me?

Can I append two alternative OpenDNS servers to
Code:
/jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv
which are not in the list by default?

Two DNS servers outperform the ones supplied in the list slightly, whenever I'm benchmarking, so I'd like to use these instead.

Also, is there any use entering DNS-servers on the WAN-settings page, as all my traffic goes through DNSCrypt, as configured when installing?

And a last question, following up on the previous question: I've configured a (more) child-friendly DNS Server (OpenDNS Family) on the AIProtection Settings page (Parental Controls > DNS Filtering), for the devices my kid uses. I'm wondering, are these even used when all DNS-traffic is routed through DNScrypt?

Thanks in advance.

Hello @bigeyes0x0

I used dnscrypt for a few months with FW Asus Merlin 380.64 and ab-solution and never had any problem. Yesterday I decided to update the router to the latest available version (380.67) and did a clean installation, took screenshots of the settings, did a reset to the router still with previous FW, in order to install the new FW I restarted and reinstalled dnscrypt in Set with ab-solution and the only change I made was to activate the IPV6 that was previously disabled. It turns out that now in all the tests that I do in the sites https://www.dnsleaktest.com and https://ipleak.net the dns's of my ISP always appear and previously it never happened!

Can someone help me with what it might be?

Thank you.

As someone else posted in this thread try disabling IPV6 and test it again.

Hi,

just in process of installing this on rt-ac68u (asuswrt-merlin+ab solution), not gone past the part where it asks to select public dns server, anyone in uk tell me which they choose??

Not sure which can be trusted and which can't, not sure which to select. Don't want to obviously select any random one, want one i know is trusted by others etc, what have others choosen?

Cheers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online