What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@GoNz0 & @M@rco amtm, Skynet and AB-Solution allow creation of a swap file on any of these filesystems: ext2|ext3|ext4|tfat|exfat

@GoNz0 & @M@rco amtm, Skynet and AB-Solution allow creation of a swap file on any of these filesystems: ext2|ext3|ext4|tfat|exfat

I never found a solid reason why only ext formats were originally supported by the entware installer (which I based the swap code off and added *fat support). I assume ntfs would work too for both entware and swap files, I honestly forgot to follow up on it.

I never found a solid reason why only ext formats were originally supported by the entware installer (which I based the swap code off and added *fat support). I assume ntfs would work too for both entware and swap files, I honestly forgot to follow up on it.
Because Entware only installs to a filesystem that is supported. In *nix systems, file owners and permissions is a native way to control access. Not so much on our routers, but we are just one device group of many that use Entware.

Symlinks will also not work on non supported filesystems.
That is a solid reason.

Recently upgraded the firmware on a 68u to 384.beta
DNScrypt with server set as google and wan dns set as 192.168.1.1 was working fine. DNSleak showed approx 60 google servers and no other servers. After upgrading the firmware DOH doesn't work anymore. nslookup yahoo.com in SSH doesn't resolve the address. I removed the dnscrypt directory and reinstalled RC3 but google as the server still doesn't work. I changed the server to cisco in the config file and restarted the service and it started working again.

I have already preresolved dns.google.com in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add by adding the below lines.

Code:
server=/dns.google.com/8.8.8.8
server=/download.dnscrypt.info/8.8.8.8

TIA
dnscrypt-proxy does not need that anymore. The problem is elsewhere, do you have any kind of network configuration on top of your ISP, such as VPN? Also there might be some problem with the 384 branch that I don't know of, still running 380.xx on my AC56U.

Last edited:
dnscrypt-proxy does not need that anymore. The problem is elsewhere, do you have any kind of network configuration on top of your ISP, such as VPN? Also there might be some problem with the 384 branch that I don't know of, still running 380.xx on my AC56U.

I know I no longer need to pre resolve google in dnsmasq as it's already there in the toml file to help the system / scripts boot but tried it since nothing else worked. No VPN / AI protect etc. Only AB and skynet. DNScrypt works fine if I use cisco/other server as the resolver but not if I change it to google. Only thing that's changed is the upgrade to 384.beta so maybe it's something to do with the new GPL.

... I have already preresolved dns.google.com in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add by adding the below lines.

Code:
server=/dns.google.com/8.8.8.8
server=/download.dnscrypt.info/8.8.8.8
Just an FYI... this doesn't really "pre-resolve" anything, it just sends the query to 8.8.8.8 to resolve that specific domain name. Know the difference between "server=/domain/ip" and "address=/domain/ip".

I know I no longer need to pre resolve google in dnsmasq as it's already there in the toml file to help the system / scripts boot but tried it since nothing else worked. No VPN / AI protect etc. Only AB and skynet. DNScrypt works fine if I use cisco/other server as the resolver but not if I change it to google. Only thing that's changed is the upgrade to 384.beta so maybe it's something to do with the new GPL.
This is kinda obvious, but are you able to access dns.google.com from your browser?

I'm setup for DoH and it works excellent. I too have 75 servers in a ipleak.net test. DNS leak shows all these servers to be google servers (do the extended test), I was told this is ok or ideal.

Has V2 final been released yet?

@all I updated to 2.0.0 final and update the first post. The script is now out of beta as well ;).
Worked without a problem on RT-AC1900P on 384.3_beta1.
But not so on the RT-AC86U, same fw but Entware-ng-3x running, maybe that is the cause:
Code:
 =>  Do you want to install dnscrypt-proxy to /jffs [y/n]: y
 Info:  Downloading manager
 Info:  Downloading nonroot
 Info:  Downloading dnscrypt-proxy-linux_arm64-2.0.0.tar.gz
[: <!267752: bad number
 Info:  Downloading public-resolvers.md
[: <!267752: bad number
 Info:  Downloading public-resolvers.md.minisig
linux-arm64/
linux-arm64/dnscrypt-proxy
linux-arm64/LICENSE
linux-arm64/example-dnscrypt-proxy.toml
linux-arm64/example-blacklist.txt
linux-arm64/example-cloaking-rules.txt
linux-arm64/example-forwarding-rules.txt
 Info:  Configure dnsmasq.postconf file for dnscrypt
 Info:  Creating wan-start file
 Info:  Configure wan-start file for dnscrypt
 Info:  Configuring dnscrypt-proxy...
 Info:  Set a DNS server for initializing dnscrypt-proxy
 Info:  and router services (e.g. ntp) at boot
 =>  Default is 8.8.8.8:
I quit it there and await your response...

Downloaded files to /jffs/dnscrypt at this point:
Code:
dnscrypt-proxy
dnscrypt-proxy.toml
example-blacklist.txt
example-cloaking-rules.txt
example-dnscrypt-proxy.toml
example-forwarding-rules.txt
LICENSE
manager
nonroot
public-resolvers.md
public-resolvers.md.minisig

Calling @thelonelycoder so hopefully he can include this in amtm :)
I did the above with unaltered current amtm version. No need for a change as the installer URL never changed for the stable installer.

No need for a change as the installer URL never changed for the stable installer.

... unless you would want to remove the menu option for the dnscrypt-proxy beta version ;)

EDIT: No such thing, I mistakenly read dnscrypt-proxy beta where it says pixerserv-tls beta. Sorry.

Hopefully things will get sorted out of the RT-AC86A as well.

Thanks to the both of you, for your efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:
... unless you would want to remove the menu option for the dnscrypt-proxy beta version ;)
amtm has no option to install a dnscrypt-proxy beta version:
Code:
    SNBForum scripts
 1  open     AB-Solution
 2  install  dnscrypt installer
 3  update   Entware
 4  install  pixelserv-tls beta version
 5  install  Skynet
And neither does dnscrypt installer:
Code:
 Info:  Detected ARMv7 architecture.
 Info:  JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled