What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jwortiz I don’t think that’s qos related.

I’ve seen that error message posted elsewhere on these forums. I am not sure what is causing you to receive it.

@FreshJR

First of all, thank you so much for your help and efforts in creating this awesome qos script.

I am running asus-merlin firmware 384.8_2 on RT-AC68U. I am using a 3rd party vpn client on my windows and mac machine, not through the router. I used the easy-one-step-automatic way of installing the FreshJR script via the one line install - curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FreshPr/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QOS.sh" -o /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS --create-dirs && sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install . All the vpn traffic that are generated from any of the machines, where i'm running the 3rd party client "Torguard" or previously "AirVPN", is classified under "Net Control Packets". A week or two ago everything was running fine an the vpn traffic was classified as "Others" until a few days ago I was checking the QoS statistics and I discovered this issue.

My bufferbloat is almost perfect and i have no issue regarding speed at all. The issue which i am having is with vpn traffic classification as "Net Control Packets".
44829426.png

/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -debug output:

adaptive QOS: Undf Prio: 2
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID: 1:16
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 8
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 111616
adaptive QOS: Up Band : 11264
adaptive QOS: ***********
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Gaming = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Others = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Web = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 5580, 22323, 16742, 11161, 33484, 5580, 11161, 5580
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- 6398b, 27192b, 12792b, 6396b, 4792b, 3198b, 3196b, 3198b
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- 139157b, 139157b, 139157b, 139157b, 139157b, 139157b, 139157b, 139157b
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 563, 2252, 1689, 1126, 1126, 563, 3379, 563
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- 3198b, 3198b, 3198b, 3198b, 3198b, 3198b, 3198b, 3198b
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- 12795b, 12795b, 12795b, 12795b, 12795b, 12795b, 12795b, 12795b

Any help or guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you!

EDIT: I already rebooted the router a few times with no success.

Last edited:
What does the VPN client traffic get identified as under app analysis.

Redirect that.

I don't have app analysis enabled at my router. I turned it once a few months ago and it caused some issues so I turned it off. QOS with your script was working amazingly well without any single issue with or without the app analysis being on.

The only thing that I didn't perform is a clean install of the router's firmware. Earlier today I decided to do so. I saved my settings and backed up the JFFS partition. After that I reinstalled asus-merlin firmware 384.8_2, cleared nvram ram via holding the WPS button and also restored the router to factory default settings. Next, I uploaded my settings and restored the JFFS from backup. Reinstalled your script, verified the installation was successful, tested it and bammm!! Issue is resolved! I re-tested in both mac and windows and all the vpn traffic generated by the vpn client in mac/windows is classified as "Others" under QoS statistics. Ran the test multiple times and it is still getting classified as "Others". I don't know what happened or what caused the issue but I won't complain as far it is working. Speed/Quality/Bufferbloat is A+/A+/A same as before.

Thanks again for the great script, keep up the good work!!!!

I don't have app analysis enabled at my router. I turned it once a few months ago and it caused some issues so I turned it off. QOS with your script was working amazingly well without any single issue with or without the app analysis being on.

The only thing that I didn't perform is a clean install of the router's firmware. Earlier today I decided to do so. I saved my settings and backed up the JFFS partition. After that I reinstalled asus-merlin firmware 384.8_2, cleared nvram ram via holding the WPS button and also restored the router to factory default settings. Next, I uploaded my settings and restored the JFFS from backup. Reinstalled your script, verified the installation was successful, tested it and bammm!! Issue is resolved! I re-tested in both mac and windows and all the vpn traffic generated by the vpn client in mac/windows is classified as "Others" under QoS statistics. Ran the test multiple times and it is still getting classified as "Others". I don't know what happened or what caused the issue but I won't complain as far it is working. Speed/Quality/Bufferbloat is A+/A+/A same as before.

Thanks again for the great script, keep up the good work!!!!
If you restored your same settings and JFFS from before the reset, it should have had no effect. Unless the backup was from earlier.
Also, it could be a a Trend Micro signature update that changed the classification behavior.

If you restored your same settings and JFFS from before the reset, it should have had no effect. Unless the backup was from earlier.
Also, it could be a a Trend Micro signature update that changed the classification behavior.

I agree, it could be a Trend Micro signature update issue. Other than that everything else is awesomely working as expected.

Edit: By the way, the Signature version is showing 2.066 Updated : 2019/01/08 00:04 which is the same as the one I had before the backup/restore.

I also think it was a definitions update. That’s why I recommended redirecting its ID within app analysis.

By reinstalling firmware you have downgraded the definitions to the version that comes packed with that firmware.

That built in version will get updated to latest version when the definitions check occurs some time in the future.

Best of luck. Everything can be easily modified.

Edit: whatever it was. Glad it’s working.

Check out what I found in the wild.

wwhhat.png

The advertisement & adult categories within appdb actually do NOT sort any TC categories present.
As a result those two types of traffic are zero-rated.

New rule incomming in next release for this fringe case. (Web Surfing??)

I thought those two categories were defunct.

I agree, it could be a Trend Micro signature update issue. Other than that everything else is awesomely working as expected.

Edit: By the way, the Signature version is showing 2.066 Updated : 2019/01/08 00:04 which is the same as the one I had before the backup/restore.
Current Signature Version is 2.106. No issues here with it.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

No question, just a big THANK YOU for this script. It works beautifully, finally, working QOS. Had tried all the more basic ASUS and Merlin methods, and none of them worked anywhere near as well as this script.

I used to to prioritize VOIP #1, streaming video #2, and pretty much everything else below those since I do not like streaming TV to lose frames. And I need to be able to have calls without breaking up, and, VOIP uses very little bandwidth anyway.

Thank you so much!!!

is there a way to add to QoS the traffic from the router itself? i am running transmission there, but this traffic is not shown in any graph or list ...

is there a way to add to QoS the traffic from the router itself? i am running transmission there, but this traffic is not shown in any graph or list ...

Yes. QOS traffic from the router itself can be seen on the input && output chains within iptables.

If you have teamviewer I can take a look at your particular setup. Since I don’t want to to go through the process installing and uninstalling a torrent client myself.

On my AC3100, currently run Merlin FW V384.9_alpha2-g2c530c69b along with FreshJR QOS Stats Page test https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...and-inner-workings.36836/page-114#post-459734 and noticed the following Class (Game Transferring), is that the same as the "Defaults" Class that Merlin is using?

Also, is it possible to not only Sort the "Tracked Connections" by clicking on the Headers (Proto, Source, SPort, Destination, DPort, Application), but anyway to add a filter to only show a certain Source, SPort, Destination, Dport, or Application) on the "Tracked Connections" table. My requirements currently are Source, so that I can see what a certain IP address on the LAN, is talking to what Application, and QOS that IP Address or Application if required.

On my AC3100, currently run Merlin FW V384.9_alpha2-g2c530c69b along with FreshJR QOS Stats Page test https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...and-inner-workings.36836/page-114#post-459734 and noticed the following Class (Game Transferring), is that the same as the "Defaults" Class that Merlin is using?

Also, is it possible to not only Sort the "Tracked Connections" by clicking on the Headers (Proto, Source, SPort, Destination, DPort, Application), but anyway to add a filter to only show a certain Source, SPort, Destination, Dport, or Application) on the "Tracked Connections" table. My requirements currently are Source, so that I can see what a certain IP address on the LAN, is talking to what Application, and QOS that IP Address or Application if required.

Yes I repurposed defaults for game download traffic some time ago (it was unused for a long time with my script). The "Game Transferring/Defaults" category also swaps priority with the users last defined category as shown on the page.

To be more clear. The "Game Transfering" category under the hood is actually still "Defaults" with a different label slapped on it within the statistics page. If you create iptables ${Defaults_Mark} rules, they WILL go into "Game Transferring"

I’ll look into creating filter functionality for that page.

Last edited:
Yes. QOS traffic from the router itself can be seen on the input && output chains within iptables.

If you have teamviewer I can take a look at your particular setup. Since I don’t want to to go through the process installing and uninstalling a torrent client myself.

I am sorry, but i am not using it. what is needed from my side ? ports used for transmission ?

I am sorry, but i am not using it. what is needed from my side ? ports used for transmission ?

No I needed to see what interfaces within iptables the torrent traffic crosses and how it reacts within TC via some trial and error rules.

It is entirely possible that inbound router traffic cannot be download limited as I do not think it will hit the br0 interface. This is because download limiting is done at the point where traffic enters the LAN/WIFI bridge. Unfortunately I don't think local router traffic will ever reach that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!