Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by FreshJR, Jan 12, 2017.

1. FreshJR

FreshJR Regular Contributor

Welcome to FreshJR's Adaptive QOS modification script!

--------OVERVIEW--------

Adaptive QOS works amazing, but I have decided to tweak it as I have a few issues with it out of the box. Each of these is addressed by my script.

Issue 1:

The first issue is caused by the traffic groups. More specifically, the issue is caused by the existence of the default category. Unidentified traffic goes to the Default category. I would like it to go to Others instead. My reasoning is explained below.

If you go to the QOS statistics, it shows you your traffic priorities and the last 3 seconds of each categories utilization. My setup is as follows.

Class Total Rate Packet rate
    • Net Control Packets
    • VoIP and Instant Messaging
    • Others
    • Gaming
    • Web Surfing
    • Video and Audio Streaming
    • File Transferring
    The issue is that VOIP, like wifi calling and facetime is currently unidentified. This will make it fall to the last category.

This will cause correctly identified traffic like neflix, youtube, filedownloads, torrents, and web surfing to ALL have greater priority than my poor old VOIP traffic. I wanted to have VOIP get first priority, but it seems to be getting the wrong end of the stick.

This negative effect extends to poor gaming performance as well. Many games are undetected and will also get the same wrong end of the stick.

It's a shame that the default category does not have adjustable priority. My scripts fixes that! A workaround I have performed is to route unidentified traffic into the rarely used, but webUI adjustable, Others category. With this you can punish known bandwidth hogs to give them worse priority than unknown traffic. Use as desired!​

Issue 2:

The largest issue with Asus's implementation of QOS is with their rate/ceil class values. The QOS categories each have an individual rate/ceil defined.

So what is this rate or ceil you may ask?

Rate = Minimum reserved bandwidth for a QOS container
    Ceiling = Maximum bandwidth allowed for a QOS container

Note in this post: QOS container = QOS category = QOS Class. I will be using all terms interchangeably
    The issue is that Asus did a TERRIBLE job defining these limits and made them NON USER ADJUSTABLE. To understand how this could be a problem you have to know how rate/ciel work in practice. Here's a summary.

Available bandwidth goes to container 1 until it hits rate. Then it will go to container 2 until rate, and so on up to container 7. At this point there will be a lot of unused bandwidth available. This bandwidth will go back to container 1 until it hits its ceil, then container 2 until ceil, and so on up to container 7. No bandwidth is wasted!

Lets look at some examples, with a 100 mbps connection for easy numbers.

Example Setup 1 (Okay):
    Code:
    Downloads       container 1     40 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel      1000 mbps supplied by server.
    Web Surfing     container 2     10 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel      5 mbps needed
    Streaming       container 3     20 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel      30 mbps video stream

What would happen is as follows:

Downloads     75 mbps
    Web Surfing   5   mbp
    Streaming     20  mbps   <--- Suffering because of download priority

Bad setup in my opinion because I do not agree in reducing streaming quality to speed up a file transfer.
    This is a non issue since it is a preference setup by the user.  They deem whats appropriate.

Example Setup 2 (GOOD):

Code:
    Same as above but with better container priorities

Web Surfing     container 1      10 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel    5mbps needed
    Streaming       container 2      20 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel    30mbps video stream
    Downloads       container 3      40 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel    1000 mbps supplied by server.

Web Surfing    5mbps used
    Streaming      30mbps used
    Downloads      65mbps used <-- Bandwidth taken from here if needed

Optimal setup in my opinion since every category has reasonable guaranteed bandwidth, same as the last setup.
    The difference is that excess bandwidth is offered to categories in a logical order for my usage.

Example Setup 3 (TERRIBLE):
    Code:
    Same as above but different is container rates (128 kbps each =  0.128 mbps)

Web Surfing     container 1      0.128 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel     5 mbps needed
    Downloads       container 2      0.128 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel     1000 mbps supplied by server.
    Streaming       container 3      0.128 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel     30 mbps video stream
    VOIP            container 4      0.128 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel     2 mbps voice
    Gaming          container 5      0.128 mbps rate / 100 mbps ciel     1 mbps gaming

Web Surfing   5 mbps used
    Downloads     94.6 mbps used
    Streaming     0.128 mbps used <- DEAD
    VOIP          0.128 mbps used <- DEAD
    Gaming        0.128 mbps used <- DEAD

Terrible setup in my opinion.
    I would never want traffic in any category to completely stall.
    There are no user options to correct this.

I will leave it up to your imagination as to who implemented a 0.128 mbps guaranteed per QOS container. They have the knobs to adjust these numbers but decided to now allow users to twist them and they themselves messed up the initial positions.

In my script these rates are defined as percentages of total download bandwidth and are adjustable to your liking. This means no matter how much the network is constrained, various types of traffic should still flow.

There is one issue still outstanding that bugs me. Inside each container, that traffic has to go through the rate/ciel process again to divide up the available traffic per device requesting it. Once again, a certain manufacturer has setup guaranteed rates of 0.128 mbps per LAN client. This can lead to a situation where one user eats all the bandwidth within a container and starves everyone else a client is requesting viewing a fast enough data source, as in example 3.
    I think RMerlins new realTC interposer might provide use with a solution to modify these rate/ceil's if he would be nice enough to let us tweak it.
    Issue 3:

No lengthy write up here. The issue is that we cannot create custom rules to fit any additional needs or deficiencies with the traffic definitions database!
    My script allows for custom rules. I will be explaining these in another post as this one is already too long.

Install Procedure / Changelog / Advanced Custom QOS rules in next post

https://pastebin.com/KebHKqua <Script Version 1.92 - CURRENT>
    https://pastebin.com/A3EwbJQd <Script Version 1.9 - OLD>
    http://pastebin.com/M5rwfMRa <Script Version 1.4 - OLD>

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    slidermike, Vexira, darkony and 13 others like this.
  2. FreshJR

-------INSTALLATION PROCEDURE--------
    Script filename/location and installation procedure has changed as of version 1.9. Any older versions of script have to be uninstalled manually.

--------UNINSTALL--------

To uninstall the old version of the script, v1.4 or lower, run these two commands in shell terminal using putty:
    Code:
    cru d QOS_CHECK
    echo "" > /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Note echo command will clear out / delete firewall-start, where old script resides.

To uninstall the current version of the script, v1.9 or newer, run these three commands in shell terminal using putty:
    Code:
    cru d FreshJR_QOS
    rm /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
    sed -i '/FreshJR_QOS/d' /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

--------INSTALL--------

Step1 (Prep):
    You will need putty and pscp, as well as the script.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

You do not have to install these executables, they are portable. Move them, and the script, into a new folder called Putty on your C:\ drive.

It should look like this:

• C:\Putty\putty.exe
    • C:\Putty\pscp.exe
    • C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_v1_92.txt
    Warning if you are opening or editing the script and saving with a texteditor within windows, know that Windows and Linux new lines (ENTER) are different and incompatible, use notepad++. In notepad++ EOL conversion has to be set to Unix/OSX. This is done after opening the script by Edit -> EOL Conversion -> Unix/OSX

Step2 (Check Requirements):
    Open your router log in page, go to
    (1) Administration -> System -> Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs -> YES -> Apply
    (2) Administration -> System -> Enable SSH-> LAN Only-> Apply
    You can disable SSH after install if you do not want to leave it open for security reasons.

Step3 (Upload script to router):
    Shift right click in the putty folder with the 3 files.
    Select open command window here.

Paste this command

Code:
    pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_v1_92.txt [email protected]:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
    Type in password.

Step4 (Install):
    Open putty. Hostname is router ip. Port is 22. Connection Type SSH. Click open. Type in Password.

If firewall-start is not yet properly formatted, or has never been formatted, then run the following.
    The file, firewall-start, will NOT be properly formatted if you do not have any scripts installed into it.
    Run this command first to properly delete/format the firewall-start file.
    Code:
    -----CAUTION READ NOTES-----
    echo "#!/bin/sh" > /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
    -----CAUTION READ NOTES-----

NOTE: This will delete firewall-start and create a new one with a proper header. Do not use if firewall start is already properly formatted and you have other scripts working.

When firewall-start is properly formatted then run the following commands to complete the install:

Paste these three commands, one by one, from clipboard by right clicking into putty to install the script.
    Code:
    echo "/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS" >> /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
    chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
    chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS

Just a linux FYI: The two echo commands used above are slightly different from each other.
    Echo with > = overwrites and echo with >> = appends
    Step5 (Activate):
    You are done, restart or toggle QOS on/off. You can look for logging output in system log from the script.
    ---------------------CHANGE LOG---------------------

Upcoming 2.0:
    -The last thing i will be trying to do is to implement one last custom rule, a gaming focused one.
    Traffic on gaming devices should be filtered like normal, but any unidentified traffic on those devices should be sent into the gaming category instead of default/others.

v1.92
    -fixed syntax bugs introduced in 1.91

v1.91
    -added rule to put unidentified https traffic into WEB container, missing from ASUS rules
    -version had a syntax bug, script turned out to be half functional

v1.9
    -use realtc if present
    -script run delay after QOS start increased from 10 to 30 sec
    -custom QOS rule templates for manual filtering
    -two custom QOS rules are now active per default. These two rules are for iOS wifi calling & facetime respectively. The two rules detect that wifi calling and FaceTime by simple port destination instead of deep packet inspection. Disable them if you wish.
    -New install instructions and location. UNINSTALL OLD SCRIPT MANUALLY!

Custom Rule Templates:
    --Categorize traffic into QOS container by incoming/outgoing ports
    --Categorize traffic into QOS container originating to/from LAN PC by its IP
    --Categorize traffic into QOS container originating to/from LAN PC by its MAC
    --Categorize traffic into QOS container received from WAN SERVER IP or destined to WAN SERVER IP

---------------------ADVANCED QOS RULES---------------------

Remainder of QOS Rules explained in comments of script code.

Port Ranges Rules:
    Port ranges are defined by a PORT and a MASK. Below is a table showing the range allowed above a port with a specific mask.

Code:
    Mask        Grants Ports  Above Start                   Limitations
    FFFF               0                                      Any Port
    FFFE               1                                 Port Divisible by 2
    FFFC               3                                 Port Divisible by 4
    FFF8               7                                 Port Divisible by 8
    FFF0               15                                Port Divisible by 16
    FFE0               31                                Port Divisible by 32
    FFC0               63                                Port Divisible by 64
    FF80               127                               Port Divisible by 128
    FF00               255                               Port Divisible by 256
    FE00               511                               Port Divisible by 512
    FC00               1023                              Port Divisible by 1024
    F800               2047                              Port Divisible by 2048
    F000               4095                              Port Divisible by 4096

The only caveat is that you cannot use any mask with any port (Except for mask FFFF). The ports have to follow limitations above to work with a specific mask. If you apply a mask to a port that does not follow the limitations, it will not work.

Example:
    Code:
    Port    Mask       Range
     8     0xFFFC       8-11
     6400  0xFFF8    6400-6407
     6400  0xFFF0    6400-6415
     6500  0xFFF0   NOT POSSIBLE

For those that want a system level explanation of what is happening you can read this supplemental portion.
    The way a match is made is that a CPORT (the port being checked against the rule) is turned into binary format. It is then bitwiseAND'd with the MASK, that was also turned to binary format. The result of this operation is AND'd with defined PORT in the rule. It will match on its defined range and fail on anything outside. For for example lets do PORT 8 with MASK C, lets see the results when checked against CPORTS 6 and 10.

Code:
    Check Port 6:
    CPort 6 = 0110   (This is 6 in binary)
    Mask E =  1100   (This is C in binary)
    ______________   (bitwiseAND OPERATION)
    Result = 0100
    Port 8 = 0010    (This is 8 in binary)
    _______________  (AND OPERATION)
    NO MATCH.         Result = port 6 is not included within range of port 8 with mask E

Check Port 10:
    CPort 10 = 1010   (This is 10 in binary)
    Mask E =  1100    (This is C in binary)
    _______________   (bitwiseAND OPERATION)
    Result = 1000
    Port 8 = 1000     (This is 8 in binary)
    _______________   (AND OPERATION)
    MATCH.            Result = port 10 is within range of port 8 with mask C

IP Ranges Rules:
    IP ranges are defined by a IP and a MASK, same as above but in CIDR notation instead of a hex mask.
    You can google CIDR calculators and see what ranges open. I did not create a table.

Example:

Code:
    192.168.1.100/32 = 192.168.6.100 - 192.168.6.100
    192.168.1.100/30 = 192.168.6.100 - 192.168.6.103
    192.168.1.100/28 = 192.168.1.96 - 192.168.1.111

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  3. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

It's not configurable because it's not a class in itself. Anything not classified ends up by default there. That's why it doesn't show on the QoS page where you can drag and drop classes.

The list of categories/rules right now are as follow:

Code:
    0,Instant messengers
    1,Peer-to-peer networks
    3,File sharing services and tools
    4,Media streaming services
    5,Email messaging services
    6,VoIP services
    7,Database tools
    8,Online games
    9,Management tools and protocols
    10,Remote access terminals
    11,Tunneling and proxy services
    13,Web services
    14,Security update tools
    15,Web instant messengers
    17,Business tools
    18,Network protocols
    19,Network protocols
    20,Network protocols
    22,Adult
    24,Social networks
    26,Advertisement

Classes grouped like this (order will depend on your own configuration):

Code:
    [0, 0%, 100%, 0%, 100%]
    rule=9
    rule=20
    [1, 0%, 100%, 0%, 100%]
    rule=8
    [2, 0%, 100%, 0%, 100%]
    rule=0
    rule=5
    rule=6
    rule=15
    rule=17
    [3, 0%, 100%, 0%, 100%]
    rule=4
    [4, 0%, 100%, 0%, 100%]
    rule=13
    rule=24
    [5, 0%, 100%, 0%, 100%]
    rule=1
    rule=3
    rule=14
    [6, 0%, 100%, 0%, 100%]
    rule=7
    rule=10
    rule=11
    rule=21
    rule=23
    [7, 0%, 100%, 0%, 100%]
    rule=na

Maybe the qosd config file could be manually modified to move the 7th class with its "rule=na" higher, but the whole Adaptive QoS code is closed source, so you have no control as to how/when that file gets generated or overwritten.

cybrnook, beboptrumpet and xenas like this.
  4. FreshJR

Spent all day thinkering. Looks like my only hope is that trend micro will figure out how to identify iOS wifi calling in future definition updates. The defaults category doesn't really pass much of other traffic.

If anyone else messing with it wants to save some steps, here is what I learned.

Qosd.conf is overwritten everytime qos is applied or the router is rebooted. This occurs even if chmod permsisions are set as read only. It is overwritten by the values stored in nvram. If you update nvram manually you do not have to restart. Just toggle QOS on and off, applying settings inbetween.

This is the nvram entry the values are read from
    Code:
    bwdpi_app_rulelist=9,20<0,5,6,15,17<8<7,10,11,21,23<13,24<4<1,3,14<<customize
    Each comma separated value is rule entry.
    Each < separator set is a priority level. (Originally 6 levels present (0 thru 6), Not listed is priority level 7 for defaults/unclassified traffic)
    Each value is read as a 32bit signed integer.
    An invalid entry is read as rule=0

If you create a 7th priority level, it replaces rule=na in the defaults(level7) priority set. This means that rule=na doesn't do anything, but rather is a descriptive placeholder, since without it present, unclassified traffic still finds its way to defaults.

I tried inputting all values rules from -32 to 64 into higher priority sets to see one of those corresponded to describe unclassified traffic and shift it higher. I also tried 2,147,483,647 and -2,147,483,648. None of the values tried didn't.

Next I tried putting web surfing, rule=13, into the defaults priority level to see what would happen. Doing so, web surfing was detected as being default catagory (level7) traffic in QOS statistics.

Next I got rid of web surfing entirely as an entry. Web surfing traffic was not detected at all in QOS statistics.

With web surfing gone entirely, I wanted to see its actual priority. So I moved video streaming in default catagory priority to see what would happen. Web surfing, now not defined in QOS, had priority over video streaming, listed in the defaults category level 7.

No catagories can exist beyond level7(defaults). If that was possible, I was planning to move video streaming and file transfers to levels 8 and 9.

So my two plans were to find out what integer stood for unclassified traffic and move it up, or create two priority sets after the default priority didn't work.

Still can't believe that the function that identifies traffic does not return some integer to define unknown traffic.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    xenas likes this.
  5. RMerlin

Pinging @vanic in case he might have a suggestion for you.

6. nezolder

nezolder New Around Here

7. el pescador

el pescador Regular Contributor

Does this explain why im getting more consistent online gaming on tomato?

8. FreshJR

If your game is not identified and your internet is maxing out, then adaptive QOS does more harm then good. Your game is getting last priority.

If your game is identified, adaptive QOS is amazing. If you properly set up your limits your ping will not spike and you will not get buffer bloat with the game getting first priority.

I do not know what QOS tomato has. Asus has traditional QOS as well if you want to set up your games manually. Then it should be equivalent to tomato.

beboptrumpet likes this.
  9. vanic

vanic Regular Contributor

@Merlin and @FreshJR,

What could I do for you?
    For this?
    No catagories can exist beyond level7(defaults). If that was possible, I was planning to move video streaming and file transfers to levels 8 and 9.
    => only prio 0 ~ prio 7, max numbers of catagories are 8.

So my two plans were to find out what integer stood for unclassified traffic and move it up, or create two priority sets after the default priority didn't work.
    => As Merlin said, if you don't match any number as list, it will be unclassified traffic.
    => create two priority sets after the default priority didn't work : I don't know what you mean here, could you explain?
    => default rule / qdisc : always exists, you can see by command line "tc qdisc show"
    => even if no qos, qdisc still exists (actually, it means for default rule or default qdisc).

Still can't believe that the function that identifies traffic does not return some integer to define unknown traffic.
    => So leave class 8 (prio7 is empty) for this purpose, is it what you want?

Thanks,
    Vanic

10. el pescador

Maybe a silly question but why would it not recognise gaming traffic?

11. el pescador

Another question.
    I have triple vlans.

One runs through the ONT....the telephone.
    2 run through the ASUS...internet and tv.

Does changing the vlan priority make a difference?
    ie...voip vlan is recomended to be 5 (i think ) which when you compare the priortities it says that priority is for low ping.

I have internet at default prority...but my gaming should be equal to voip or better imo....not at default.

12. RMerlin

Because it simply doesn't know how to recognize it. All a router can do to identify a type of traffic is look at the connection ports, remote address, and maybe the content at the beginning of the connection. It has no idea what program is running on the PC itself. So if the signatures provided by Trend Micro doesn't have any definition for your specific game (or if your game recently changed something that Trend Micro were using to recognize it), it will be unrecognized traffic, and will fall in the default category.

13. vanic

vlan : using switch tag to bypass packet in switch port, not to go through CPU and qos / dpi engine can't see this packet.

14. FreshJR

Vanic, I would like to give unclassified traffic higher priority. I was reading up on the tc command.

This is the filter for unclassified traffic:
    Code:
    filter parent 1: protocol all pref 1 u32 fh 813::800 order 2048 key ht 813 bkt 0 flowid 1:17
      mark 0x40000000 0x4000ffff
    Can I change flowid so I can route it into a different priority class? 1:13 for example.
    After it gets into class 1:13, should i about how it is marked? Should I try to mark it as something else, example 0x400d0000 0x403f0000 would mark it as web browsing instead.

If I can't edit the filter, can I change the priority of class 1:17? Prio = 3 for example.
    Code:
    class htb 1:17 parent 1:1 leaf 17: prio 7 rate 128Kbit ceil 8192Kbit burst 3200b cburst 9598b
    I still have to find the commands on how to modify filters or change class priority. I am very new to this.

Thank you so much for checking in. I know it was a lot of text.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  15. vanic

Hi @FreshJR,

Actually, even if you know how to setup tc or iptables by yourself, you still can't break our rule in dpi engine, TrendMicro reserves the last priority for default rule / unclassified class, and their tc (traffic control) rule is created by kernel module, so ASUS can't modify anything on this, and you can't, too. Adaptive qos has its rule (powered by TrendMicro), I think we are hard to change anything if you want to use it. Sorry for that I can't disclose more detail technique on this.

Thanks,
    Vanic

16. FreshJR

Thanks for looking into it.

If you are in a position to do so, maybe suggest to make unclassifed traffic available able to have configurable priority in future updates.

In my case, most of traffic is marked correctly but T-Mobile wifi VIOP calling is uncatagorized and gets last priority. I would prefer for any undentified traffic to be above video streaming and downloads.

Some other users on here wish the same.

I don't know your involvement, but congratulations on the router design and QOS if you were apart of it. best I have ever used.

17. Sar Mange

Sar Mange New Around Here

I am having similar issues with my Ooma VoIP. None of the packets are being sorted in the correct classification and all traffic is being set to default. I did see that perhaps AIProtection has to be enabled in order for the packets to be sorted. If this is true which parts have to be enabled? Thanks!

18. FreshJR

Incorrect. If adaptive qos is enabled, packets are being sorted. There are no dependencies that also have to be toggled on.

If they are being sorted into incorrect categories nothing really you can do except hope a definitions update will fix it in the future, or use traditional qos instead.

Go to administration, firmware update, click check next to signature version. That's what updates the sorting filter if you are on an old one. I am on 1.142

Also under bandwidth monitor, set the ooma box to highest priority, dragging the red label onto the ooma box. That should further increase its priority, but im guessing default traffic will still get the crap end of the stick.

For me, I'm switching to traditional qos and explicitly defining T-Mobile wifi calls since that's the major thing I don't want to lag. But adaptive would be best since I could depriotize Netflix and downloads.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  19. el pescador

So how do we get FIFA 17 gaming packets in the correct category?

20. FreshJR

Short answer. You don't and we can't.

The adaptive qos/packet sorting is done by trend micro for asus.

Trend micros implementation is proprietary and closed off. In other words, it's a black box with zero modification allowed. It's supplied to asus and they just "plug" it in and turn it on. Not even they control it.

Reverse engineering and hacking together a work around is outside my skill level.

Your best bet is using traditional qos and manually defining the game.

Otherside that, hope that in the future the sorting signatures will get corrected, or that uncatagorized packets get adjustable priority, or that hacks are done to adjust definitions/priority.