What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone believe FreshJr has abandoned this project?

I hope not - but in the event he has, I can share some of the tweaks I made to my copy of the script (mainly just modifying/adding iptables and ip6tables commands) which have provided some additionally functionality which I needed

I hope not - but in the event he has, I can share some of the tweaks I made to my copy of the script (mainly just modifying/adding iptables and ip6tables commands) which have provided some additionally functionality which I needed
Plz do....I would be interested in this...thanks.

Would be interested as well.

Would the following code work in Merlin?

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS0

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -d 192.168.1.142 --dport 1024:65535 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -s 192.168.1.142 --sport 1024:65535 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p icmp -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -s 192.168.1.142 --sport 1024:65534 -j TTL --ttl-set 255

Hi,

I guess this still uses internal QoS mechanics, just tweaks the Asus one, but does it also kill HW Acceleration (CTF and/or CTF+FA)? I have 450mbit Cable Modem, and with my AC87U, the only way i can get 450mbit is by having at least CTF enabled... so i can't use QoS and IP Traffic...

Will using this kill HW Acceleration?

Hi,

I guess this still uses internal QoS mechanics, just tweaks the Asus one, but does it also kill HW Acceleration (CTF and/or CTF+FA)? I have 450mbit Cable Modem, and with my AC87U, the only way i can get 450mbit is by having at least CTF enabled... so i can't use QoS and IP Traffic...

Will using this kill HW Acceleration?
Using adaptive QoS only lets you have CTF enabled and it kills FA, it's a limitation of the hardware.

I followed the instructions but I don't know where I can put these informations on the QoS script.

upload_2019-11-18_11-56-12.png

Thank you for promptly answer! On the Local IP/CIDR I have to fill with CIDR Notation calculation result? Is that OK?
Yea, if your trying to group ip addresses 100, 101, 102, and 103 into the same group you'd put "192.168.1.100/30" into the field Local IP/CIDR. Then change the class to what you need it to be. Click "Apply" wait 5 mins, and watch the traffic to see if it is flowing properly.

Yea, if your trying to group ip addresses 100, 101, 102, and 103 into the same group you'd put "192.168.1.100/30" into the field Local IP/CIDR. Then change the class to what you need it to be. Click "Apply" wait 5 mins, and watch the traffic to see if it is flowing properly.

Ok! I am looking for the best settings for games, Xbox in the case.

Thank you!

BTW chaps.
What do i put in "Mark" on the amtm script?
I want the ultimate high priority .
Also anyway of doing

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS0

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -d 192.168.1.142 --dport 1024:65535 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -s 192.168.1.142 --sport 1024:65535 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p icmp -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -s 192.168.1.142 --sport 1024:65534 -j TTL --ttl-set 255

aparently the last one makes it less likley packets get dropped....a serious issue on fifa atm.

Ok! I am looking for the best settings for games, Xbox in the case.

Thank you!
In that case make sure to customize the QOS categories with gaming on top then.

Would be interested as well.

I reviewed my copy of the script, and it only looks like I made 2 changes:

1. Support for IPv6 Usenet newsgroup (NNTP) providers, so that when downloading binaries from IPv6 Newsgroup Providers, they get categorized as "Downloads" by Adaptive QoS.
IPv4 Newsgroup Providers are already categorized properly by FreshJR script.

2. Add DNS-over-TLS packets to "Net Control Packets" category, so that they are prioritized above everything else

---

For change #1:

Add following 2 lines to section " ##DOWNLOAD (INCOMMING TRAFFIC) CUSTOM RULES START HERE -- legacy method" (line 57 on my copy of the script)

Code:
            ip6tables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -p tcp -m multiport --sports 119,563 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_down} &> /dev/null
            ip6tables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -p tcp -m multiport --sports 119,563 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_down}

Add following 2 lines (the same lines actually) to section " ##UPLOAD (OUTGOING TRAFFIC) CUSTOM RULES START HERE -- legacy method" (line 142 on my copy of the script)

Code:
            ip6tables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o $wan -p tcp -m multiport --dports 119,563 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null
            ip6tables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o $wan -p tcp -m multiport --dports 119,563 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up}

For change #2:

Look for the 4 lines which have a portion that says "--dports 53,123"
and change that portion to "--dports 53,123,853"

---

Although I am pretty confident about change #1, I'm not 100% sure about change #2 - so if any script gurus want to review and advise, please go ahead.

For change #2:

Look for the 4 lines which have a portion that says "--dports 53,123"
and change that portion to "--dports 53,123,853"

---

Although I am pretty confident about change #1, I'm not 100% sure about change #2 - so if any script gurus want to review and advise, please go ahead.
I did something similar, with the understanding that all it does is prevent those 3 ports from being marked as Download traffic. But it's not explicitly marked as Net Control. Yet. It was one of FreshJR's things to test still.
Code:
iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p udp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123,853 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null                                     
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p udp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123,853 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up}
iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p tcp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123,853 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null                                 
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p tcp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123,853 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up}

I did something similar, with the understanding that all it does is prevent those 3 ports from being marked as Download traffic. But it's not explicitly marked as Net Control. Yet. It was one of FreshJR's things to test still.
Code:
iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p udp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123,853 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null                                    
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p udp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123,853 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up}
iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p tcp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123,853 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null                                
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p tcp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123,853 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up}

So do you think it gets marked as "Other" then? Fortunately for me, I have "Other" prioritized towards the top because Adaptive QoS detects my Office VPN connection as "Other" - and I always want my Office VPN prioritized above anything else going on at home.

So do you think it gets marked as "Other" then? Fortunately for me, I have "Other" prioritized towards the top because Adaptive QoS detects my Office VPN connection as "Other" - and I always want my Office VPN prioritized above anything else going on at home.
I'm not that smart to know how it's marked as it goes out. Hence everyone misses FreshJR.

I used one of the custom rules to set any traffic from my work laptop's IP to the /16 subnet of my company as Gaming so it would have higher priority. It works because no one in the house is actually gaming anything. The /16 CIDR encompassed all the possible VPN endpoints for my company.

I'm not that smart to know how it's marked as it goes out. Hence everyone misses FreshJR

Sadly ... we must assume @FreshJR has gone for good :-(
I dropped a further US$ donation into his PayPal account shortly after the @thelonelycoder added his script to amtm and sent a PM confirming - but unlike my earlier donations to which he had responded promptly - this time I have had zero response.

The community will need to find another clever coder to progress this project :(.

Sadly ... we must assume @FreshJR has gone for good :-(
I dropped a further US$ donation into his PayPal account shortly after the @thelonelycoder added his script to amtm and sent a PM confirming - but unlike my earlier donations to which he had responded promptly - this time I have had zero response.

The community will need to find another clever coder to progress this project :(.
What started as being sad from our community missing his feedback has now turned into concern for his well being from my point of view. I hope someone else is able to take the great work he has started and carry on but I also hope he is doing well and on an extended break or something similar.

My recollection could be wrong, but I don’t think JR even used qos. (I assume his connection was enough that he didn’t need it.). He checked in around June and said he was busy with another issue/project. Maybe he just lost interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!