What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On some routers the location of the TC executable has moved from /usr/sbin/tc into /bin/tc. For the users affected by this recent change, this update is required.

This update also includes a change that will push an error message to the system log if any custom rules have syntax errors.

A router reboot to clear the improper mount point (from the old version of the script) is required after this update, for the script to work on the affected routers.

**Note: a reboot is sufficient, does NOT have to be a full reset!

Prerequisites:

You will need putty and pscp, as well as the script. Also you need to be on fw 382+

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

You do not have to install these executables, they are portable. Move them, and the script, into a new folder called Putty on your C:\ drive.

It should look like this:
  • C:\Putty\putty.exe
  • C:\Putty\pscp.exe
  • C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_beta5.txt
  • C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC_beta5.txt

Install/Update Guide:

1) turn OFF qos
2) In command prompt
Code:
cd C:\putty\
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_beta5.txt admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC_beta5.txt admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC

3) In putty
Code:
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC
chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC
sed -i '/FreshJR_QOS/d' /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS install
4) turn ON qos

<< OUTDATED VERSION, NEWER RELEASE AVAILABLE >>

Attachments

• FreshJR_QOS_beta5.txt
    30.6 KB · Views: 603
  • FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC_beta5.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
On some routers the location of the TC executable has moved from /usr/sbin/tc into /bin/tc. For the users affected by this recent change, this update is required.

This update also includes a change that will push an error message to the system log if any custom rules have syntax errors.

A router reboot to clear the improper mount point (from the old version of the script) is recommended after this update.

**Note: a reboot is sufficient, does NOT have to be a full reset!

Prerequisites:

You will need putty and pscp, as well as the script. Also you need to be on fw 382+

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

You do not have to install these executables, they are portable. Move them, and the script, into a new folder called Putty on your C:\ drive.

It should look like this:
  • C:\Putty\putty.exe
  • C:\Putty\pscp.exe
  • C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_beta5.txt
  • C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC_beta5.txt

Install/Update Guide:

1) turn OFF qos
2) In command prompt
Code:
cd C:\putty\
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_beta5.txt admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC_beta5.txt admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC

3) In putty
Code:
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC
chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC
sed -i '/FreshJR_QOS/d' /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS install
4) turn ON qos

<< CURRENT VERSION FOR FW v382+ >>
Fresh does it work on all variety of routers or only the ones that have had the changes in location?

Fresh does it work on all variety of routers or only the ones that have had the changes in location?

It should work on both types routers (but keep in mind that I could only test it on my router which uses the old location).

If everything is working correctly, your system log should have these messages (in no particular order).

succesfull_log.png

Ok great hopefully I can try it out tonight Fresh let you know how it goes it has all gaming rules like beta 4 the just gotta be edited with the i.p. addresses?

Ok great hopefully I can try it out tonight Fresh let you know how it goes it has all gaming rules like beta 4 the just gotta be edited with the i.p. addresses?

Yes it's the same exact thing, except it supports changes introduced in newer firmware, and has better debug logs.

Yes it's the same exact thing, except it supports changes introduced in newer firmware, and has better debug logs.
Ok appreciated also I had a question I always forget to ask does it matter if you leave it on adaptive or is it better to input your manual bandwidth

It should work on both types routers (but keep in mind that I could only test it on my router which uses the old location).

If everything is working correctly, your system log should have these messages (in no particular order).

succesfull_log.png

@FreshJR
I've loaded latest beta 5 on my RT-AC86U following your instructions but only get the first two messages in log, the rest is absent:
Code:
Feb 20 11:59:24 adaptive QOS: FreshJR FakeTC Started
Feb 20 11:59:24 adaptive QOS: Parsing QOS config ->  (No Change Required)
Feb 20 12:00:02 Skynet: [Complete] 127343 IPs / 2425 Ranges Banned. 0 New IPs / 0 New Ranges Banned. 0 Inbound / 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [2s]
Feb 20 13:00:02 Skynet: [Complete] 127343 IPs / 2425 Ranges Banned. 0 New IPs / 0 New Ranges Banned. 97 Inbound / 13 Outbound Connections Blocked! [2s]
Feb 20 13:29:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[822]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.235 a4:ee:57:0b:f7:65

If you need any more info I'll be pleased to help.

@FreshJR
I've loaded latest beta 5 on my RT-AC86U following your instructions but only get the first two messages in log:
Code:
Feb 20 11:59:24 adaptive QOS: FreshJR FakeTC Started
Feb 20 11:59:24 adaptive QOS: Parsing QOS config ->  (No Change Required)
Feb 20 12:00:02 Skynet: [Complete] 127343 IPs / 2425 Ranges Banned. 0 New IPs / 0 New Ranges Banned. 0 Inbound / 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [2s]
Feb 20 13:00:02 Skynet: [Complete] 127343 IPs / 2425 Ranges Banned. 0 New IPs / 0 New Ranges Banned. 97 Inbound / 13 Outbound Connections Blocked! [2s]
Feb 20 13:29:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[822]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.235 a4:ee:57:0b:f7:65

You are one of the affected routers with the updated location.

I will have to check my syntax as your it seems it is installing to the wrong location.

Just to clarify, you did perform a router reboot after installing the script?
And this is the system log AFTER the restart.

A system reboot is required for users with the affected routers when updating to this version.

You are one of the affected routers with the updated location.

I will have to check my syntax as your it seems it is installing to the wrong location.

Just to clarify, you did perform a router reboot after installing the script?
And this is the system log AFTER the restart.

A system reboot is required for users with the affected routers when updating to this version.

I did reboot after but forgot to enable QOS beforehand and enabled it afterwards. Would that be the issue?

No, a reboot at any time after the install procedure was sufficient.

I'll do another reboot just to be sure with QOS enabled and get back to you.

Edit: Seems to be correct now after a reboot, can see the scripts changes in log.

Code:
Feb 20 22:44:36 adaptive QOS: FreshJR FakeTC Started
Feb 20 22:44:36 adaptive QOS: Parsing QOS config ->  (No Change Required)
Feb 20 22:44:36 adaptive QOS: Changing 1:13 class rate
Feb 20 22:44:37 adaptive QOS: Changing 1:14 class rate
Feb 20 22:44:38 adaptive QOS: Changing 1:15 class rate
Feb 20 22:44:39 adaptive QOS: Changing 1:16 class rate
Feb 20 22:44:39 adaptive QOS: Applying Custom Upload Rules
Feb 20 22:44:39 adaptive QOS: Changing 1:17 class rate
Feb 20 22:44:39 adaptive QOS: Applying Custom Download Rules
Feb 20 22:44:51 adaptive QOS: FreshJR fakeTC Running (No Change Required)
Feb 20 22:44:51 adaptive QOS: Parsing QOS config ->  (No Change Required)

Thank you.

Last edited:
It has come to my attention that I am directing "Unidentified" Traffic into "Default" rather that "Others".

I can see this by looking at the following rule, included in beta5 release

Code:
realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 2 u32 match mark 0x80000000 0x8000ffff flowid ${Default}

The rule should really be

Code:
realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 2 u32 match mark 0x80000000 0x8000ffff flowid ${Others}

I must of changed that when testing for gaming functionality and I forgot to change it back to the intended category before release.
Sorry guys

It is located at line 118, for those who wish to change it back.
I am holding off on another beta release to see if I get any more bug reports.
Too many have been released already!

Last edited:
thaTh you for your hard work! beta releases are for testing. doesnt matter how many versions

I am not quite sure about other version, but in my beta 4 file, I see that the "Unidentified" Traffic still goes into "Others" category, FreshJR. And for me, the rule is located at line 72 (not sure if it is correct or not).

FreshJR_QOS_beta4.jpg

FreshJR_QOS_beta4_2.jpg

Last edited:
It has come to my attention that I am directing "Unidentified" Traffic into "Default" rather that "Others".

I can see this by looking at the following rule, included in beta5 release

Code:
realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 2 u32 match mark 0x80000000 0x8000ffff flowid ${Default}

The rule should really be

Code:
realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 2 u32 match mark 0x80000000 0x8000ffff flowid ${Others}

I must of changed that when testing for gaming functionality and I forgot to change it back to the intended category before release.
Sorry guys

It is located at line 118, for those who wish to change it back.
I am holding off on another beta release to see if I get any more bug reports.
Too many have been released already!
Do we change it back even if we are using gaming rules Fresh?

I am not quite sure about other version, but in my beta 4 file, I see that the "Unidentified" Traffic still goes into "Others" category, FreshJR. And for me, the rule is located at line 72 (not sure if it is correct or not).

View attachment 12053

View attachment 12054

Yeah beta4 was correct for the default data. It was just in beta5 he was testing some gaming profiles i guess and released it incorrectly sending default data to default instead of others. That line correction appears to fix it and its line 118 in beta5.

A Fresh question I use an xbox, I would have to give it a higher preference or leave the default value. I refer to the Qos section of the router.

regards!!!

A Fresh question I use an xbox, I would have to give it a higher preference or leave the default value. I refer to the Qos section of the router.

regards!!!
The gaming rules are enough.
You do not have to assign it a higher priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!