What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it hasn't downloaded the the definitions from ASUS yet or created the required database files upon initial run.

Check for definition updates and restart QOS.

You question is explained in the first two posts. Additionally fq-codel is the best.

Edit:
upon looking further into it, the gt-5300 is not supported by Merlin-wrt, so you will be missing out on fq-codel.

To try and get it working, I would check if stock AsusWRT has a cron scheduler installed by typing "cru" into putty.

If it does, the compatible version should work with stock firmware as is except it won't be triggered upon QOS start (firewall-start) as that trigger simply doesn't exist. Instead it would have to be started once manually and then the cron task could continue perferming a daily persistance check.

I doubt AsusWRT has a cron scheduler, but if it does you should the run the following two lines after pscp'ing the file over instead of the install command, changing the path to match.

Code:
chmod 0755 /jffs_directory/FreshJR_QOS
cru a FreshJR_QOS "0 3 * * * /jffs_directory/FreshJR_QOS -check"

It looks like there is a Cron scheduler as this is my output
Cron Utility
add: cru a <unique id> <"min hour day month week command">
delete: cru d <unique id>
list: cru l

How can i pscp the file if it wont accept the file? This is the output. I made a folder with the exact same names and folder. Username and ip address are right, and im running these commands in a admin cmd prompt. I have the latest daily version of Putty

This is the exact commands im typing in.
cd C:\putty\
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_f384.txt johnnyde94@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC_f384.txt johnnyde94@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC

Then i get the output

C:\Putty>pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_f384.txt johnnyde94@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
johnnyde94@192.168.1.1's password:
scp: /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS: No such file or directory

Thanks for the help man, much appreciated, if we can get this to work it would be great to post it somewhere in the GT-AC5300 forums as i think a lot of people will appreciate this script to enhance the qos.

It looks like there is a Cron scheduler as this is my output
Cron Utility
add: cru a <unique id> <"min hour day month week command">
delete: cru d <unique id>
list: cru l

How can i pscp the file if it wont accept the file? This is the output. I made a folder with the exact same names and folder. Username and ip address are right, and im running these commands in a admin cmd prompt. I have the latest daily version of Putty

This is the exact commands im typing in.
cd C:\putty\
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_f384.txt johnnyde94@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC_f384.txt johnnyde94@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC

Then i get the output

C:\Putty>pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS_f384.txt johnnyde94@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
johnnyde94@192.168.1.1's password:
scp: /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS: No such file or directory

Thanks for the help man, much appreciated, if we can get this to work it would be great to post it somewhere in the GT-AC5300 forums as i think a lot of people will appreciate this script to enhance the qos.

In terminal,

Type in
Code:
cd /
ls

Check for the presence of a jffs folder.

I'm betting the jffs folder exists but the "scripts" folder within jffs does not.

You can either make the scripts folder with
Code:
mkdir /jffs/scripts

Or omit the /scripts/ portion of the pscp command so it will place the file in the root of jffs instead of in the "scripts" folder inside jffs.

Another thing to check, will be to reboot the router and check if the router deletes the script upon reboot.

Code:
cd /jffs/
ls

Also that is the wrong version. The experimental version will definatly not work on stock firmware.

You have the best chance of success with the compatible variant.

Last edited:
Next can I get the output of

Code:
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -debug

None of my modifications were applied in that output.
adaptive QOS: Undf Prio: 2
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID: 1:16
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 8
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 204800
adaptive QOS: Up Band : 81920
adaptive QOS: ***********
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Gaming = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Others = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Web = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 10240, 30720, 61440, 40960, 20480, 10240, 20480, 10240
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- 12800b, 50Kb, 25Kb, 12794b, 9594b, 6396b, 4794b, 3197b
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- 250Kb, 250Kb, 250Kb, 250Kb, 250Kb, 250Kb, 250Kb, 250Kb
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 4096, 12288, 8192, 16384, 8192, 4096, 24576, 4096
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- 4798b, 19195b, 9596b, 4796b, 3197b, 3198b, 3194b, 3198b
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- 100Kb, 100Kb, 100Kb, 100Kb, 100Kb, 100Kb, 100Kb, 100Kb

In terminal,

Type in
Code:
cd /
ls

Check for the presence of a jffs folder.

I'm betting the jffs folder exists but the "scripts" folder within jffs does not.

You can either make the scripts folder with
Code:
mkdir /jffs/scripts

Or omit the /scripts/ portion of the pscp command so it will place the file in the root of jffs instead of in the "scripts" folder inside jffs.

Another thing to check, will be to reboot the router and check if the router deletes the script upon reboot.

Code:
cd /jffs/
ls

Also that is the wrong version. The experimental version will definatly not work on stock firmware.

You have the best chance of success with the compatible variant.

Ugh I didnt read you say not to use the fast version. how can i delete the /scripts directory and start again

Figured it out rm -rf /jffs/scripts/

Last edited:
Ugh I didnt read you say not to use the fast version. how can i delete the /scripts directory and start again

Just rerun the pscp command and it will overwrite the existing fast version script with the compatible version. (The destination file names are the same)

Keep in mind you are not following the install instructions in the first post

Just the
-chmod
-cru a task

I mentioned these in the previous post. (Update the directory on those commands to match)

Those two commands will get it executing everyday a 3am.

To initially trigger it after everything is transfered and QOS is enabled you will need to run

/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -start

Those are the only 3 commands in your situation.

EDIT: you should not be erasing anything inside bwdpi. Do a definitions check and see if those files come back.

If you ran
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install

from the experimental version, you will have to turn off and on (reboot) your router. (You should NOT be running any install commands as they are not applicable to stock firmware)

Last edited:
Ok i just installed it and its
adaptive QOS: Delayed Start Triggered (5min).

After the five min then do it -chmod, -cru a task. when i did it before the start it said -cru a task: not found and -sh:-cru: not found but that makes no sense.

It says in the router logs delayed start triggered (5min)

now putty says
adaptive QOS: No modifications necessary

Ok i just installed it and its
adaptive QOS: Delayed Start Triggered (5min).

After the five min then do it -chmod, -cru a task. when i did it before the start it said -cru a task: not found and -sh:-cru: not found but that makes no sense.

It says in the router logs delayed start triggered (5min)

now putty says
adaptive QOS: No modifications necessary

Can you post the output of

tc filter show dev br0

Into pastebin.

(The two commands you were supposed to execute were in my previous post, but don't worry about those for now)

Can you post the output of

tc filter show dev br0

Into pastebin.

(The two commands you were supposed to execute were in my previous post, but don't worry about those for now)

Nothing comes up on putty with those commands.

This is what the router log is saying

t
Apr 16 16:49:56 adaptive QOS: Delayed Start Triggered (5min)
Apr 16 16:50:00 rc_service: service 14297:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Apr 16 16:50:00 rc_service: waitting "restart_qos;restart_firewall" via httpd ...
Apr 16 16:50:15 rc_service: skip the event: restart_letsencrypt.
Apr 16 16:54:56 adaptive QOS: No modifications necessary
Apr 16 16:55:00 rc_service: service 14461:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Apr 16 16:55:00 rc_service: waitting "restart_qos;restart_firewall" via httpd ...
Apr 16 16:55:15 rc_service: skip the event: restart_letsencrypt.
Apr 16 17:00:00 rc_service: service 14589:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Apr 16 17:00:00 rc_service: waitting "restart_qos;restart_firewall" via httpd ...
Apr 16 17:00:15 rc_service: skip the event: restart_letsencrypt.
Apr 16 17:04:07 dropbear[14702]: Password auth succeeded for 'johnnyde94' from 192.168.1.2:12427
Apr 16 17:05:00 rc_service: service 14751:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Apr 16 17:05:00 rc_service: waitting "restart_qos;restart_firewall" via httpd ...
Apr 16 17:05:16 rc_service: skip the event: restart_letsencrypt.

It seems that there is connection dropout every few minutes

update: did a full router and modem reboot and now my log is crazy but no drop outs

https://pastebin.com/FrdtafMc

I'm pretty sure because you deleted the bwdpi folder (with the rm -f command you edited out) QOS is stuck in a loop trying to apply non existant database rules.

Rule of thumb, don't delete any files you didn't create!

ASUS QOS did not apply any rules since the output of tc show was blank.

My script didn't run at all since it didn't detect any rules to modify.

Reset/Reinitilize the router and install TeamViewer. I'll take a look personally at what's going on.

Unfortunately it seems the modifications are successfully taking effect, so it's something deeper under the hood beyond my control.

No idea what's causing the differences.

Yeah it shows QoS enabled and bandwidth set but unfortunately the script is not applied. Hope we can figure out what is causing this problem and what could be a possible fix for this issue. Thanks,

@FreshJR does this script require QOS Apps Analysis (upper right on QOS Bandwidth page) to be enabled? Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks you all!

Can I just check that my installation is as it should be, the output of my debug looks to be missing some of the variables I've seen that others have posted...

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC87U 384.4-2 Sat Mar 24 17:02:06 UTC 2018
admins@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -debug
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 8
adaptive QOS: Undf Prio: 2
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID: 1:16
adaptive QOS: Down Band -- 27648
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 1382,8294,5529,4147,2764,1382,2764,1382
adaptive QOS: Up Band -- 5120
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 256,512,1024,768,512,256,1536,256
adaptive QOS: Net       = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP      = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Gaming    = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Others    = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Web       = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Defaults  = 1:17
adaptive QOS: FreshJR fakeTC is enabled
adaptive QOS: (Adaptive QOS is turned ON in router UI)

Thank you.

@FreshJR does this script require QOS Apps Analysis (upper right on QOS Bandwidth page) to be enabled? Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks you all!

No it doesn't (neither does stock QOS).

Can I just check that my installation is as it should be, the output of my debug looks to be missing some of the variables I've seen that others have posted...

Thank you.

Yes it is working. The fast version doesn't use those variables, that's why they are not apart of the debug output.

EDIT:

Also from looking at the last few debug logs and seeing common user preferences on Traffic Prioritization, For my setup I would be putting "Others" at least above "File Transfers". See "Issue 1" in the first post for reasoning! But there is no wrong or right setup, so enjoy however you decide to set it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!