What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks better. Is your gaming going into gaming or other? Voip is usually good to have highest though. Reason is if you use wifi calling on cells etc you want that to work and most likly movies be paused when your on the phone.

Can I get some feedback from somebody better at this than me?
My Categories are:
Gaming
Web Surfing
Voip
Others
Video Streaming
Downloads
I use these settings because I have allocated lots of bandwidth to streaming. Streaming is what I do. And some gaming as well. Does this make more sense now @Sinner ?

It looks better. Is your gaming going into gaming or other? Voip is usually good to have highest though. Reason is if you use wifi calling on cells etc you want that to work and most likly movies be paused when your on the phone.
How about this then @Sinner? I'm hoping to test all this later today. Thank you for your input. Any help is greatly appreciated. ASUS Wireless Router RT AC3100   EZQoS Bandwidth Management1.png

can you confirm where your gaming data is going? gaming or others?

your gaming you want higher than web because everytime the wife hits facebook etc it could lag you out downloading 30mb of god knows what lol

gaming doesn't use a lot of data.. next to none... but it it very timing sentisitive or you get lags ingame so needs to be pushed thru top priority and should be right under voip.. then web prolly.. then video and downloads

How about this then @Sinner? I'm hoping to test all this later today. Thank you for your input. Any help is greatly appreciated. View attachment 12800
This setup is working really well. I have an A+ BB score now and everything works without impact on my streaming. Thank you all for the support.

gaming doesn't use a lot of data.. next to none... but it it very timing sentisitive or you get lags ingame so needs to be pushed thru top priority and should be right under voip.. then web prolly.. then video and downloads
Where does others belong? Sorry if this a stupid noob question...:oops:

Well other is where freshs scripts best and original purpose was directing unidentified traffic into. Allowing you to put it where you need it. Without script it goes into default at the bottom and is unmovable. For me that would be bad cuz all my gaming was landing in default and discord communications as well. It depends where your priority gaming data is going. Its most likly others or gaming. Your probably safe with both of those high but. Me personally would prefer to know for sure. If its not in gaming its safer to lower gaming down by download because some game updates or downloads if i recall fall into gaming category

Well other is where freshs scripts best and original purpose was directing unidentified traffic into. Allowing you to put it where you need it. Without script it goes into default at the bottom and is unmovable. For me that would be bad cuz all my gaming was landing in default and discord communications as well. It depends where your priority gaming data is going. Its most likly others or gaming. Your probably safe with both of those high but. Me personally would prefer to know for sure. If its not in gaming its safer to lower gaming down by download because some game updates or downloads if i recall fall into gaming category
Thank you so much. I understand the "other" category a lot more now. I will monitor gaming traffic and find out if "gaming" can be set lower than "others" and if it interferes with "video" at all. Again thanks for teaching this old fella something!!:D

Haha np anytime bro

Thank you so much. I understand the "other" category a lot more now. I will monitor gaming traffic and find out if "gaming" can be set lower than "others" and if it interferes with "video" at all. Again thanks for teaching this old fella something!!:D

If it helps an easy non technical way to determine if your gaming is going into others

If you have a chance to be the only one home using the network and your pc is not updating or doing any other downloads.. load up your games and take a peek with apps analisys. If you only see "general" traffic for your pc your golden. General traffic is the unidentified traffic that is being redirected to others category with freshs script :)

@FreshJR I understand ping but not ping sensitive traffic.

It's very closely related. Let's put QOS aside, and see examples of ping sensitivity.

Ping is a duration that describes how long it takes data to get from point A to point B
Bandwidth is a rate that describes how much you can get from point A to point B

Lets say we have two freight options. (Air and Train)
The trip is 3000 miles with either option.
Speed limit is 600mph for planes & 30 mph for trains.
The plane can hold 50 packages.
The train can hold 100,000 packages.

In this example:

Air: Transport = 5 hours, Capacity = 50 packages
**We effectively have 10 packages per hour with a 5 hour delay for our first package​

Train: Transport= 100 hours, Capacity = 100,000 packages
**We effectively have 1000 packages per hour with a 100 hour delay for our first package.

--

Which would you rather have? Answer is, that it depends.

If you are trying to send a short/urgent message, you want to minimize arrival time (ping sensitive).
If you are trying to maximize throughput, you want to maximize packages per hour (bandwidth sensitive).

--

Go back into the example, and change "hour" into "milliseconds".

If you are having a phone call / playing a video game, and had the above choices, you would want your voice/bullet to get to the other side within the 5ms option.
If you are watching a video, you would want the 1000mbps option, even though it means you have the wait 100ms to start watching the video after clicking play.

Even though both connections have their own merits, if you reverse the applications, they are useless.

Simply put, video streaming is NOT ping-sensitive.
After the video initially starts playing, it doesn't matter if the ping is 1second or 10 seconds, since as long as the bandwidth remains higher than the bandwidth of the video stream, the video will continue playing and not get stuck no matter your connections ping stability throughout the stream.

Last edited:
@Sinner @FreshJR Thanks for the clear message describing how this works. I understand a lot more than I did a few hours ago. Thank you all again you are awesome!!

Also worth mentioning for your analasys. Some games have loaders or patchers running in the background which may trigger some small amounts of http/ssl traffic making determining if your actual game is unidentified/general more difficult possibly

Close them if u can while researching this. That includes like origin/nvidia etc game loaders and app stores. If possible. Some wont allow it but do yur best.

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning for your analasys. Some games have loaders or patchers running in the background which may trigger some small amounts of http/ssl traffic making determining if your actual game is unidentified/general.

Close them if u can while researching this. That includes like origin/nvidia etc game loaders and app stores. If possible. Some wont allow it but do yur best.
Right boosting the values in QOS stats and not actual game traffic. Gotcha!! Thanks for the heads up.

Also worth mentioning for your analasys. Some games have loaders or patchers running in the background which may trigger some small amounts of http/ssl traffic making determining if your actual game is unidentified/general more difficult possibly

Which is probably the reason I saw that you put "Gaming" low in your priority list.

Bandwidth monster 30gb patches should not be given "gaming / ping priority", but rather be placed into file downloads.

With one of the recent changes, I created a rule that

-If "Gaming" and coming from port 80
or
-If "Gaming" and coming from port 443
-->
Redirect into "Downloads"

This should hopefully mostly leave real gaming traffic in the "Gaming" qos category. With spill over into "Web Surfing/Others" if the traffic is is missing the "Gaming" tag and just has either a "https" or "unidentified" tag by itself.

@FreshJR Can you teach me, step by step how to install this script in Firmware Stock please, it will also serve people who do not use Asuswrt-Merlin.

Router RT-AC3100

Isn't the 3100 supported? While QOS will work on stock firmware, you are missing out on a lot of performance without fq-codel

I will post an updated and instructions within a few days.

You can't run custom scripts on stock firmware.

You can. I have a working solution ready.

I just didn't post he instructions yet since I ran out of characters on my second post and I dread editing it.

Counter Strike Global Offensive (favourite game) puts all data into games so I'm ok.

It doesn't look like the short spurt of gaming was categorised as general is this a problem? Only a small amount of data was transferred as general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!