What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fresh, I discovered switching from Adaptive QOS to Traditional QOS the slowing effect doesn't happen when playing H5. Which I found very interesting. Another thing Ive noticed from day one with this GT AC5300 is that this router has always added about 23ms to my whole network across the board. No matter what speed test I used it would always add a good 23ms to my latency. And over time my latency would slowly creep up never down... The minute I switch back to my old Netgear router all my latency is normal if not even lower as being directly connected to the modem itself. My conclusion here is that I think there is something wrong with my router. Something has always seemed off about this router from day one.

this GT AC5300 always added about 23ms to my whole network across the board. No matter what speed test I used it would always add a good 23ms to my latency. And over time my latency would slowly creep up never down... The minute I switch back to my old Netgear router all my latency is normal if not even lower as being directly connected to the modem itself. My conclusion here is that I think there is something wrong with my router. Something has always seemed off about this router from day one.
Refund the GT-AC5300 :mad: and buy a RT-AC86U :), today they fixed upload problem:
That means that in a month @RMerlin adds this update.
The RT-AC86U is much better than the GT-AC5300, just for the fact that one supports Asuswrt-merlin.

Last edited:
@ZippySkippy

You have the GT-AC5300 correct? Just making this known for other people reading these posts.
Hey Fresh, That is correct. I have the ASUS Rapture GT AC5300. I bought it early on which some say the very first releases had issues. But firmware after firmware has done more harm then good.. Half the time the new firmware sent out created more problems then fixing them.. There was a large return rate with this router. So my advice is to stay away from this gem.. To make matters worse there is no third party firmware available for this either. No Merlin no nothing.. In a nice way im saying to others that might think of buying this to pick something else. Something that has support of firmware like Merlins or thus alike.. This slowing effect and odd latency that slowly increases is far past something that isn't set right. I have learned my lesson. And will move onto something else. I cant believe I stuck it out this long.. Again thanks for your help and everything you have done to better the QOS for others and myself. I greatly appreciate it and I know others on here do also.. Thanks Fresh!

That means that in a month @RMerlin adds this update.

That's pure speculation. We don't even know yet when the source code will be available, whether the fix lies in closed source bits or in open source code. If the fix lies in the closed source parts of bwdpi, it means I won't be able to fix every model until Asus issues new firmware releases + source code for every single model.

So a fix on my end could very well be multiple months away, depending on Asus's own release schedule.

@nodnarb91 I use these IP Address Changer to change my Static IP quickly on the Computer, I'm too lazy to write the IP manually.

VirusTotal:
Awesome, thanks! I'll give them a try. I've been changing the IP under LAN/DHCP server settings in the web-gui, then disable/enable the ethernet adapter via windows, long process lol.
Also, been testing out two VPN clients with FreshJR's VPN script set and playing Fornite while connected to them and only had issues with one of them losing connection a lot. The ping may be low, but the reoccurring connection timeouts are quite frequent. Definitely, have to route through my ISPs WAN.

Getting pretty good bufferbloat results on cable here using Adaptive QoS + fq_codel (without your script). My downstream bufferbloat:

View attachment 14195

The script probably really help when dealing with traffic classification. The bloat handling is probably mostly done by fq_codel (and by limiting the up/downstream to 85-90% of provisioned rates).

I tried to get Asus to add fq_codel, even provided their QoS engineer with benchmark results. He found the results interesting and said he'd review them with the team, but I guess management decided not to pursue that any further :(

Tested my 86U with this setup and got good results. Have 1000/50 on cable:

37746024.png

Hey Fresh, I discovered switching from Adaptive QOS to Traditional QOS the slowing effect doesn't happen when playing H5. Which I found very interesting. Another thing Ive noticed from day one with this GT AC5300 is that this router has always added about 23ms to my whole network across the board. No matter what speed test I used it would always add a good 23ms to my latency. And over time my latency would slowly creep up never down... The minute I switch back to my old Netgear router all my latency is normal if not even lower as being directly connected to the modem itself. My conclusion here is that I think there is something wrong with my router. Something has always seemed off about this router from day one.
I think it's a bug in adaptive qos, also partly to do with traffic detection.
Plus there is no fq_codel in stock firmware.

I can not use this IP address range (192.168.2.0/24) when I add VPN rules, because LAN traffic is limited to the value added in Adaptive QoS:
oHHbUg1.png

Example:
If I add 0.01 in Adaptive QoS for upload and download I can not enter the router and I have to reset or uninstall the script by putty and manually reboot, because LAN traffic is limited.​

Then I have to use this IP range (192.168.2.128/25) to fix this problem and change in LAN -> DHCP Server IP Pool -> Starting Address: 192.168.2.128
2snYF7M.png

y55sw52.png

Is there any way to exclude LAN traffic when I use VPN rules with this IP range 192.168.2.0/24 and not be limited to the value in Adaptive QoS?

Last edited:
I thank freshjr for its QoS script because it works great on rt-ac86u with rmerlin firmware.
Instead I did not understand how to use it on a gt-ac5300 with standard firmware.
Thank you again.

Is there any way to exclude LAN traffic when I use VPN rules with this IP range 192.168.2.0/24 and not be limited to the value in Adaptive QoS?

Try this (not tested).

Code:
Download:
iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 ! -d 192.168.2.1 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000  &> /dev/null
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 ! -d 192.168.2.1 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

If not, I have different rule but you have to explain which LAN traffic is getting picked up.

Last edited:
Would you say there is any need to do something, running stock on 68U as AP connected via WiFi-5G.
My Fritz modemrouter got an update and now I see this rating (before I had bufferbloat C):

upload_2018-8-29_22-52-52.png

upload_2018-8-29_22-54-25.png

Last edited:
Try this (not tested).

Code:
Download:
iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 ! -d 192.168.2.1 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000  &> /dev/null
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 ! -d 192.168.2.1 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

It does not work, it happens the same as before:
If I add 0.01 in Adaptive QoS for upload and download I can not enter the router and I have to reset or uninstall the script by putty and manually reboot, because LAN traffic is limited.

If not, I have different rule but you have to explain which LAN traffic is getting picked up.

I do not know how to explain, only when I remove the VPN rules and I still have 0.01 in Adaptive QoS I can already enter the NAS, Router and in the computer the program NetLimiter 4 in the section LocalNetwork show me is not limited, exceeds my MB added in Adaptive QoS.

Last edited:
What the hell happened to the colors in the picture ?!??!
What do you mean?
bright blue, brown and green (light and darker), never seen other colours there.
Could you post it in one composed picture with your and my colours?

And another question:
Test result same with WiFi and LAN connection to my PC-Win10x64 with Firefox.

BUT same test on Linux laptop or PC, LAN or WiFi and Firefox too and we get bufferbloat "D" up to 1s delay during upload (download good), at the same time doing ping are ok with 12ms.
Is pinging the complete wrong test for bufferbloat and I misunderstood that all?

Last edited:
@HowIFix

Try this one

Code:
iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000  &> /dev/null
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

@HowIFix

Try this one

Code:
iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000  &> /dev/null
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

I have good news and bad news.

The Good news is that these rules in download fix the bug that previously limited the LAN traffic and the traffic reverse is fixed. (Thanks)

The Bad news is that I did not realize until today that the upload when I use VPN, only uses the File Transferring category, even if I upload videos to try on YouTube, Facebook, twitter, virustotal, WhatsApp, Snapchat, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!