What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think

only defining local IP + protocol will take effect right now

I will implement that functionality in next release since it’s a great more aggressive alternative to the less aggressive existing gaming rule.

Ok thanks.
I did install it yesterday but my isp went loco so thinking it was the script i uninstalled it.
I love the addition to the GUI.
Will have a good play with it .

FreshJR,

Just a small bug report. When using the script over PuTTY, the 'press any button to exit' doesn't work.

Only pressing Enter will move to the next screen. Thank you for your great work.

Its a very rough range thats commonly believed to be most popular. That is all. In reality your personal connection quality is what determines your personal optimal setting. Im sure alot of people with really good connections get away with 97-99% while others with unstable poor connections may require 70%. Then theres satelite which is both unstable and super high ping, id guess they may need lower than 70 to maintain stable qos functionality.
I'm starting to think my 88 is playing up I'll have to replace it with the new ax model and see if I get better results, I just seem to notice that I'm getting inconsistent latency might be an issue with my phone line, then again it's being weird with upnp some firewall issue and for some reason getting the ISP dhcp error do I'm probably going to have to replace it I'm hoping an ax88u would have better results than my ax88u with 95% and 19 overhead.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think my 88 is playing up I'll have to replace it with the new ax model and see if I get better results, I just seem to notice that I'm getting inconsistent latency might be an issue with my phone line, then again it's being weird with upnp some firewall issue and for some reason getting the ISP dhcp error do I'm probably going to have to replace it I'm hoping an ax88u would have better results than my ax88u with 95% and 19 overhead.

I am a little confused with your last sentence? Do you mean "your AC88U" instead?

I think the RT-AC88U has the same processor as my RT-AC3100. If you do replace yours with an RT-AX88U, I will be very interested in your experience vs. your old router. :)

I am a little confused with your last sentence? Do you mean "your AC88U" instead?

I think the RT-AC88U has the same processor as my RT-AC3100. If you do replace yours with an RT-AX88U, I will be very interested in your experience vs. your old router. :)
Yes ac88u I wasn't wearing my glasses took my contact lenses out, if I ever become rich I'll send you one:):)
I'm sure it should help with development and all.
I'm just finding a strange bug with upnp that got fixed when I edited the script manually with win scp wasn't forwding ports of my main pc and my Xbox one, but it works for some reason now so thank you.
Also I did want to ask is it possible to set via the GUI a port with out an IP as a blanket rule for example with steam traffic as in to seperate downloads from trailers and game traffic if I know the power numbers, I was reading the instom page one, I'm thinking as in a general rule that affects any of hooked up to the router, if not I'll just do the IP method or I'll read it again mabye something I missed.

Unless your maxing or near maxing the cpu on yur I don't think youll see much of a difference in your intermittent latency with an ax88u. The issue is more than likely external to your network, possibly too finely tuned setting with 0 flexability for anything less than 100% performance from your provider.. Just my guess tho.

My best suggestion based on the little I know if your issue so far.. Remove the overhead and return it to default 0. set your bandwidth to 90% instead of 95 and put the machine away and enjoy your internet :)

If you use the WTfast then it may play up.
I used it for Battlefield 1 ps4 and the cpus went absolutely mental after a while.

Whew!! Decided to be brave and install this on my AX88U a couple of nights ago. Still reading and re-reading all these posts (so many more to go yet) but had some initial setup questions:

1. Once I enter the 85-95% upload/download bandwidth values, do I do anything with ATM checkbox and/or change the number next to it (18 in my case)?

2. Also, on the second post, there is a proposed/recommended order in the priority list for gaming, VoIP, etc. Since I don’t do any Gaming/Social media but more Streaming (via Netflix) and Web Surfing, could I change this order on the Customize section of QOS or do still I leave it as is?

3. Does a change on the order of the Priority list (under Customize icon of QOS tab) automatically decide all the bandwidth percentages shown on the Customize section of the Classification tab or do I need to change those to my needs? If yes, do I assign the same percentages to both Download and Upload sections?

4. Lastly, on the recommendations to adjust your speeds according to bufferbloat and quality grades shown on DSL reports. When making these changes in either direction (up or down), do you adjust upload values as well? For example I get A+ on my bufferbloat but then get C or D in my quality.

I am sure these questions have been asked many times throughout this thread-please bare with me. Feel free to save your yourself some time when answering and point me to certain posts if that is easier to do.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless your maxing or near maxing the cpu on yur I don't think youll see much of a difference in your intermittent latency with an ax88u. The issue is more than likely external to your network, possibly too finely tuned setting with 0 flexability for anything less than 100% performance from your provider.. Just my guess tho.
I have noticed the CPU hitting high as times during downloads on both cores, and strange upnp bug it works now, been seeing the cores some times at 100% or one core is, I surely assumed that since I'm not running gigabit or more than 100mbps it shouldn't be that high but it might be something else on my end that I haven't figured out, the other reason is the weird big I get with upnp might be just needing a factory reset though it hits bettween firmware versions, I'm half thinking that the last time we had a power interruption it might have did a number on the box.

I do have a 20+ year old phone line that runs a VDSL 2 connect my area got an upgrade 2years ago and I would not be surprised if the cable pit has issues I wish I had fiber but I'll look into it eventually.

I have noticed the CPU hitting high as times during downloads on both cores, and strange upnp bug it works now, been seeing the cores some times at 100% or one core is, I surely assumed that since I'm not running gigabit or more than 100mbps it shouldn't be that high but it might be something else on my end that I haven't figured out, the other reason is the weird big I get with upnp might be just needing a factory reset though it hits bettween firmware versions, I'm half thinking that the last time we had a power interruption it might have did a number on the box.

I do have a 20+ year old phone line that runs a VDSL 2 connect my area got an upgrade 2years ago and I would not be surprised if the cable pit has issues I wish I had fiber but I'll look into it eventually.

Well some things the router just cant fix like intermittent signal quality and connection speed drops. That is why we "compensate" as best we can with the reduced % qos values. Optimally you want as high as possible that your connection can maintain or a good number that your connection is above most of the time to make use of qos. The second your connection drops below your set value it renders qos practically useless untill it picks back up again because your isp starts bloating up but the router doesnt know this.

Also im pretty sure u shud get 300ish thru that router qos enabled max. I have 3100 which is more less same thing and dont have that issue but i also stuck with 384.5 cuz it was just too solid to mess with for me. Another thing you mentioned your using upnp? I thought that was more of a winxp thing and something that should be disabled now for reliability and security?

Well some things the router just cant fix like intermittent signal quality and connection speed drops. That is why we "compensate" as best we can with the reduced % qos values. Optimally you want as high as possible that your connection can maintain or a good number that your connection is above most of the time to make use of qos. The second your connection drops below your set value it renders qos practically useless untill it picks back up again because your isp starts bloating up but the router doesnt know this.

Also im pretty sure u shud get 300ish thru that router qos enabled max. I have 3100 which is more less same thing and dont have that issue but i also stuck with 384.5 cuz it was just too solid to mess with for me. Another thing you mentioned your using upnp? I thought that was more of a winxp thing and something that should be disabled now for reliability and security?
I need it for the Xbox and some pc games I find the box it self is becoming interment I guess I've had quite a few Black outs I have to leave the router on for VoIP so the phone works. I cap it at 90% to reduce strain I do oddly find it more responsive than 95% but I guess it's just how it is.

Whew!! Decided to be brave and install this on my AX88U a couple of nights ago. Still reading and re-reading all these posts (so many more to go yet) but had some initial setup questions:

1. Once I enter the 85-95% upload/download bandwidth values, do I do anything with ATM checkbox and/or change the number next to it (18 in my case)?

2. Also, on the second post, there is a proposed/recommended order in the priority list for gaming, VoIP, etc. Since I don’t do any Gaming/Social media but more Streaming (via Netflix) and Web Surfing, could I change this order on the Customize section of QOS or do still I leave it as is?

3. Does a change on the order of the Priority list (under Customize icon of QOS tab) automatically decide all the bandwidth percentages shown on the Customize section of the Classification tab or do I need to change those to my needs? If yes, do I assign the same percentages to both Download and Upload sections?

4. Lastly, on the recommendations to adjust your speeds according to bufferbloat and quality grades shown on DSL reports. When making these changes in either direction (up or down), do you adjust upload values as well? For example I get A+ on my bufferbloat but then get C or D in my quality.

I am sure these questions have been asked many times throughout this thread-please bare with me. Feel free to save your yourself some time when answering and point me to certain posts if that is easier to do.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I havent checked out the new script yet so cant comment on that but as far as dal reports goes...

Quality and bloat are like opposites as far as qos goes. As you reduce your %'s youll be improving your bloat but once you start going too far reduced your quality will start sropping because the qos is dropping too many packets. What your aiming for is the happy place between high quality and excelent bloat.

I need it for the Xbox and some pc games I find the box it self is becoming interment I guess I've had quite a few Black outs I have to leave the router on for VoIP so the phone works. I cap it at 90% to reduce strain I do oddly find it more responsive than 95% but I guess it's just how it is.

Oh right it improves the connection type on the consoles. Well use it then if u need. Also if your getting intermittent lags try reducing your upload much more. Ul is completly controlled on your side. Ive got mine damn near 25% on the upload and about 70% on the download to achieve perfection

To give the numbers ibhave a 10/2 cellular connection. But its over provisioned. Qos off it peaks at about 11/4.5 with wild bload so bad i dont even wanna talk about it lol. To achieve stable perfection with at most 10ms extra ping under full load my qos needed to be set at 7.2/1.2 if that helps. The upload was most of the issue. Even tho it somehow could push thru 4.5 on the upload that was super bloated and killed response times. 1.2 fixed that right up

Actually the webpage does not mount during install. It mounts approimatly 10 seconds after your restart qos. (if you have no other scripts executing before my script in firewall-start that can delay this even longer).

If you checked back later or after a reboot I bet it would show up without the factory reset.

It's all a bit fuzzy now - but I know I did multiple reboots and/or QOS restarts and waited, but didn't see the button. My router setup isn't too involved, so a factory reset only takes a few minutes to get back to a working state. It appeared right away after the factory reset and re-install - so maybe it was something else I did or I just missed it in the GUI!.
- L

It's all a bit fuzzy now - but I know I did multiple reboots and/or QOS restarts and waited, but didn't see the button. My router setup isn't too involved, so a factory reset only takes a few minutes to get back to a working state. It appeared right away after the factory reset and re-install - so maybe it was something else I did or I just missed it in the GUI!.
- L

You may want to do a 'format jffs on next boot' with your router, rebooting it 3 times with a wait time of 5 to 10 minutes in between boots. This will clear the jffs and any customizations you have done.

Now, do a factory reset to defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. After setting the router up I generally don't do anything with it directly (just use the internet off of a connected device) for at least 15 to 20 minutes to let it set itself up internally. At this point, I reboot it one last time and after a good 10-minute wait, I then start adding custom configurations to the router.

Doing just a factory reset doesn't necessarily erase the jffs. Do that first and then reset to factory defaults. To really flush it clean, you may want to hold the WPS button when booting up (from power off for a minute or so) to clear the NVRAM fully too.

See the links in my signature for more information on these procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!