What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above link must be old news, but I can't see when it was first published?

It's right at the start of the text :)

Code:
SAN JOSE, Calif., and SINGAPORE, Aug. 15, 2017

The BCM43684 is what the RT-AX88U uses.

It's right at the start of the text :)

Code:
SAN JOSE, Calif., and SINGAPORE, Aug. 15, 2017

The BCM43684 is what the RT-AX88U uses.

yup! Now I see it! :oops::p

@FreshJR hows your reduced burst progress? Im curious n wanna try it. Think it will be great for finely tuned networks. Only possible negatives i can think of is more cpu load and reduced snappyness of smaller transfers that would have previously been within the previous burst threahold.

Got the below results behind VPN. Thank you @FreshJR

47923864.png

I just finished delivering and installing an RT-AC86U with almost all features enabled and that too spikes when hitting the downloads hard. Almost as much as my RT-AC3100 did with no features enabled at all though.

That is comparing a dual-core 32bit 1.4GHz processor ('AC3100) to the dual-core 64bit 1.8GHz processor ('AC86U). Although the 'AC86U could breathe a little easier (with my Gbps ISP), the most impressive demonstration was the wireless improvement. At about 40' and two walls, the 'AC86U could give about 150Mbps more upload and almost 120Mbps more download throughput to my AC8260 laptop in high-performance battery mode.

I should be saving for the next big changes in routers (AX final) with their 2.2/2.4? GHz processors, but this little 'AC86U really impressed me with a full M&M Config based on RMerlin firmware, amtm, Diversion, Skynet, pixelserv-tls, Stubby, FreshJR QoS, ntpMerlin and YazFi. Including AiProtection enabled (all).
@L&LD I have also followed your comments in the general Edgerouter vs. 86U thread with great interest, as I was in exactly the situation described by many users there.
I also just upgraded to a 1 Gbps fiber internet connection (yesterday), and am starting to wonder if I should be migrating to an 86U from my present 68U. I know the 68U cannot cope with Adaptive QOS and maintain the raw 930+Mbps symetric speed, but I am curious to know if the 86U can truly do this? That alone, along with the better wireless range and throughput could seal the deal for me. Your thoughts?

@L&LD I have also followed your comments in the general Edgerouter vs. 86U thread with great interest, as I was in exactly the situation described by many users there.
I also just upgraded to a 1 Gbps fiber internet connection (yesterday), and am starting to wonder if I should be migrating to an 86U from my present 68U. I know the 68U cannot cope with Adaptive QOS and maintain the raw 930+Mbps symetric speed, but I am curious to know if the 86U can truly do this? That alone, along with the better wireless range and throughput could seal the deal for me. Your thoughts?

But how often are you actually using all that speed? I'm guessing never.

But how often are you actually using all that speed? I'm guessing never.
Wow, really snide comments come along much faster than helpful, useful information....
Having come from a 275mbps down, 11mbps up cable connection, I can say that I really appreciated the FreshJR QOS modifications (much more responsive/snappy connection):it's too soon to say if I need QOS at all right now. Probably not, TBD. I still want to know if the 86U is capable of dealing with the throughput of a gigabit connection and applying QOS.

Still, the other half of the upgrade would have been for the better wireless capabilities of the 86U over my 68U, so I am still open to helpful comments from those who have tried this.

Wow, really snide comments come along much faster than helpful, useful information....
Having come from a 275mbps down, 11mbps up cable connection, I can say that I really appreciated the FreshJR QOS modifications (much more responsive/snappy connection):it's too soon to say if I need QOS at all right now. Probably not, TBD. I still want to know if the 86U is capable of dealing with the throughput of a gigabit connection and applying QOS.

Still, the other half of the upgrade would have been for the better wireless capabilities of the 86U over my 68U, so I am still open to helpful comments from those who have tried this.

It wasn't meant that way. What I was trying to say is how many people ever go over 40 or 50. Even with 3 netflix going at once and I rarely exceed that. Gig connections are the future and maybe we'll need new equipment for the throughput but for most aren't even coming close to utilizing their gig connections.

It wasn't meant that way. What I was trying to say is how many people ever go over 40 or 50. Even with 3 netflix going at once and I rarely exceed that. Gig connections are the future and maybe we'll need new equipment for the throughput but for most aren't even coming close to utilizing their gig connections.
Ok, thanks, it is always difficult to assess the spirt of written comments compared to face to face conversations...apology accepted for any mistaken intentions.

Im pretty sure it cant handle 1gbps with qos either. Personally you shud prolly upgrade tho to get more out of it. Im on a 3100 and am in no rush to upgrade to another asus till they get it together and do have hardware that can handle the 1gbps.

I've posted exactly that stat a while ago.

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

Try the ax88u because of the quad core CPU might be better luck.

Apologies for the very late reply!

With regards to an ISP 1Gbps link, the RT-AC3100 is eclipsed by the RT-AC86U in almost every way. The RT-AC68U seems like a VW compared to a Porche, even if it was a very nice VW in the beginning! :)

If the RT-AC86U can be found for a very good sale price, I think it is worth upgrading from the RT-AC68U. When on sale, I see it for considerably lower than what the RT-AC68U was going for in its prime.

The RT-AX88U does have twice the RAM and twice the cores. But with each core being the same speed as the '86U, I don't believe it will help appreciably for raw download/upload performance. I'm stating this judging by the roughly 25% increase from the '3100 to the '86U.

Again, that post you quoted from me shows the RT-AC3100 with no features enabled vs. the RT-AC86U with almost all features enabled. That is how much of a jump the '86U brings to Gbps ISP speeds. :)

The cost difference between an RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U will not be worth the performance gained, IMO. There will be other benefits, I'm sure (WiFi range, throughput, etc.), but not for pure LAN/WAN and WAN/LAN performance.

I will be doing a much more detailed comparison between my RT-AC3100 and the RT-AC86U in the next week. But I know from now that I will be replacing my RT-AC3100 with it soon. :)

@FreshJR hows your reduced burst progress? Im curious n wanna try it. Think it will be great for finely tuned networks. Only possible negatives i can think of is more cpu load and reduced snappyness of smaller transfers that would have previously been within the previous burst threahold.
I'm also wondering how it will affect performance and the CPU.

I'm also wondering how it will affect performance and the CPU.

If quantum’s are not modified cpu usuage will remain the same.

(Quantum is how big of a shovel is used when processing the flow of traffic. Same shovel username = same amount of work )

I’ll have to check the currently set quantums,bursts, and cbursts at the following speeds

and if the Asus quantums are too high for desired halved or minimized bursts, then quantums would also have to be lowered (more cpu usuage). This can be the case at higher speed connections if requiring lowered bursts.

Haven’t had time to mess with it yet.

Last edited:
Since upgrading to 384.10, the script does not seem to be working for me. I get this everytime I check with --debug and the QOS is obviously not functioning:

Code:
adaptive QOS: Undf Prio:
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID:
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 1
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 0
adaptive QOS: Up Band  : 0
adaptive QOS: ***********
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Gaming = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Others = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Web = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
adaptive QOS: Downceils -- 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- , , , , , , ,
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- , , , , , , ,
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
adaptive QOS: Upciels -- 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- , , , , , , ,
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- , , , , , , ,

Turning QOS off, uninstalling FreshJR, and reinstalling does not seem to bring it back, even with restarts in there as well. I am afraid I will have to do a factory reset on the router and rebuild my entire configuration to restore functionality. Are there any other suggestions I could try before the nuclear option?

Since upgrading to 384.10, the script does not seem to be working for me. I get this everytime I check with --debug and the QOS is obviously not functioning:

Code:
adaptive QOS: Undf Prio:
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID:
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 1
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 0
adaptive QOS: Up Band  : 0
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Gaming = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Others = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Web = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
adaptive QOS: Downceils -- 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- , , , , , , ,
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- , , , , , , ,
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
adaptive QOS: Upciels -- 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- , , , , , , ,
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- , , , , , , ,

Turning QOS off, uninstalling FreshJR, and reinstalling does not seem to bring it back, even with restarts in there as well. I am afraid I will have to do a factory reset on the router and rebuild my entire configuration to restore functionality. Are there any other suggestions I could try before the nuclear option?

QoS has to be on in the router GUI. Preferably before you install FreshJR QOS. ;)

I would recommend a full M&M Config (yes; nuclear option!) if you keep having glitches for no other apparent reason. See my links below in my signature for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!