What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am new to the forum's and wanted to ask a question about the Asus router with QOS, as I like to game,
but the the family have many WiFi devices connected, I am connected via Ethernet, but many times I get lag due to them using the net while I game, so it would be good to control there usage so it wont effect me, which one of these router would you guys recommend, I have heard good things regarding Merlin software/firmware not sure if both of these support it, and which one would benefit me, or if there are any other alternatives, besides these two below!
(but I am leaning towards the WiFi 6 variant )

1: ASUS RT-AX56U
2: ASUS RT-AC86U

The only WiFi 6 router that is Merlin supported is the RT ax 88u, as far as I'm aware.

I would imagine.. unless merlin does something drastic yes it will always be compatible.. when it isn't that would mean all scripts would be broken most likely.

Hi I am new to the forum's and wanted to ask a question about the Asus router with QOS, as I like to game,
but the the family have many WiFi devices connected, I am connected via Ethernet, but many times I get lag due to them using the net while I game, so it would be good to control there usage so it wont effect me, which one of these router would you guys recommend, I have heard good things regarding Merlin software/firmware not sure if both of these support it, and which one would benefit me, or if there are any other alternatives, besides these two below!
(but I am leaning towards the WiFi 6 variant )

1: ASUS RT-AX56U
2: ASUS RT-AC86U

Both of those routers support Merlin’s firmware. You might consider flashing the current version to them, reconfiguring your home network in a mesh, and running some of the scripts to optimize your users’ connection to the internet.
That said, if there are that many devices/users on one internet connection, it may not be the network that’s the problem. You may find it necessary to upgrade your package with your ISP to get better throughout for your users on the network. Only so many people can fit through a door at one time before you have to consider making the door bigger, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@heysoundude
Yes very true I have 70/20 speed and the when they use the net it can spike net/ping as there isn't good overflow control with Vodafone one provided, I did try the archer all in one modem/router with qos but that was very bad, and signal was worse than the isp's one,
as it didn't work very well, so now I just want a decent router to connect to the modem/router and turn off the WiFi on that, and place this new router in a central position for WiFi, as the standard ISP/WiFi provides a bad signal in most part of the house hope that makes sense, which one would you recommend of the 2 or is there other alternatives !!

I think the 86u is a better choice; better still would be a pair of them for coverage in the mesh network configuration of the space is large enough.
The scripts you can use when those routers are running on Merlin’s firmware may save you some bandwidth by blocking ads etc, and then add QoS to that and your speed may prove to be adequate, if not better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably my only script running on my router. Since I installed this script, a few months ago I have not tried to update firmware.
My question is, after we update to latest Merlin, do we need to do something or the script will run by itself normally as before?

Thanks in advance

Once you update fw...the script will continue to run as normal.

But go to the QoS tab and make sure that all your settings are there as required (including the order). :)

Battlefield V on PC is not counted as GAME, but instead as GAME FILE TRANSFER.

i feel that on latest firmware the QOS engine is showing even traffic from the router itself - transmission transfers are in file category.
all devices switched off instead one tablet and transfer rates are pretty corresponding to rates on transmission.

has someone something similar?

Battlefield V on PC is not counted as GAME, but instead as GAME FILE TRANSFER.

Could just be the TCP traffic which should not be an issue.
If it is all then use the script to shift UDP traffic to gaming.
Check the ports it uses and set up the rules in the script.

If you used the script because of dodgy BFV gameplay then i am afraid its bad news.
The script wont help.
EA uses amazon web services for hosting and at the moment there are terrible issues.

I mean fancy using a network which uses a hell of a lot of data already and then hosting game servers?

EA are getting a lot of stick because FIFA has big problems regarding delay.

In the past, running previous Merlin firmware, I was able to manually define one of my FireTV 4K to the Video and Audio Streaming classification and the Classification page would show traffic from that device going through that class when using FuboTV. Now it does not. It continues to show that device as Web traffic when using FuboTV. Has Asus changed something that prevents forcing a device into a defined classification? I am just trying to determined what changed in 384.15

Last edited:
In the past, running previous Merlin firmware, I was able to manually define one of my FireTV 4K to the Video and Audio Streaming classification and the Classification page would show traffic from that device going through that class when using FuboTV. Now it does not. It continues to show that device as Web traffic when using FuboTV. Has Asus changed something that prevents forcing a device into a defined classification? I am just trying to determined what changed in 384.15
i'm running 384.15 with fresh QOS and see my devices show as they were before with correct rules. Can you show your setup/config?

Here are my current settings. These settings are the same ones I have been using since September 2019. Only the results are different.

65A6AA8C-6EAE-41E2-A318-C1D9B95A5FF3.png

4A71AF8E-8BD8-4F30-8B04-E78726FC6812.png

E23EF21A-2DA7-4908-9A1E-76FC5991A1BF.png

Last edited:
More settings.

908FB2F5-5C90-495A-A049-C8CF8255B09C.png

E87DE0AA-3B14-4BF7-9AA4-98BDD6FC39EE.png

UPDATE:

Not sure what changed but I uninstalled/installed FreshJR and now it looks like it is working correctly. Who knows.... :)

Note: Yes I always make sure to wait at least 10 minutes after applying settings before checking correct operation.

UPDATE:

Not sure what changed but I uninstalled/installed FreshJR and now it looks like it is working correctly. Who knows.... :)

Note: Yes I always make sure to wait at least 10 minutes after applying settings before checking correct operation.
According to freshjr the QoS priorities should be left at default settings and assigning a high priority to a particular device does more harm than good to the QoS traffic. Check the first podt of this thread for more clarification.

According to freshjr the QoS priorities should be left at default settings and assigning a high priority to a particular device does more harm than good to the QoS traffic. Check the first podt of this thread for more clarification.

The purpose of my settings is to make sure that one FireTV device has higher priority over any other device as it is the device we stream FuboTV with. I want to make sure my wife’s TV is not interrupted. :)

Last edited:
Everything looks good now.

6519A174-ADC5-4036-A986-881722488809.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!