What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question: I have been having a lot of trouble with VOIP for the past month or so, after a year of things working perfectly, and it's because of equipment issues that Xfinity can't really solve. I have a steady 900 download, and a VERY erratic upload, between 1 and 40, mostly down in the single digits (my connection is supposed to be 900/30). When I checked on dslreports/speedtest, I saw (not surprising) that my bufferbloat is through the roof. So I have set a cap of 10 on the upload, which seems to keep bufferbloat better in line ("B") than higher or lower numbers. I am about to start telecommuting, which means that I will be relying heavily on ZOOM.

1) What is the BEST custom class order to protect VOIP and teleconferencing. Nobody in my house plays games. At the moment I have it set as: VOIP/Video-Audio streaming/Others/Web Surfing/File Transfers/Gaming

2) Per other's instructions, I have given the three OBI's "highest" priority on the bandwidth monitor. I just added my access point to the "highest" list, since my desktop computer is connected to the access point, AND my desktop computer. Will this even help? Overkill?

Advice welcome! Thank you!

Quick question: I have been having a lot of trouble with VOIP for the past month or so, after a year of things working perfectly, and it's because of equipment issues that Xfinity can't really solve. I have a steady 900 download, and a VERY erratic upload, between 1 and 40, mostly down in the single digits (my connection is supposed to be 900/30). When I checked on dslreports/speedtest, I saw (not surprising) that my bufferbloat is through the roof. So I have set a cap of 10 on the upload, which seems to keep bufferbloat better in line ("B") than higher or lower numbers. I am about to start telecommuting, which means that I will be relying heavily on ZOOM.

1) What is the BEST custom class order to protect VOIP and teleconferencing. Nobody in my house plays games. At the moment I have it set as: VOIP/Video-Audio streaming/Others/Web Surfing/File Transfers/Gaming

2) Per other's instructions, I have given the three OBI's "highest" priority on the bandwidth monitor. I just added my access point to the "highest" list, since my desktop computer is connected to the access point, AND my desktop computer. Will this even help? Overkill?

Advice welcome! Thank you!
Find out which Classes your VOIP and teleconferencing show up in.
Adaptive QoS --> Classification
I would be surprised if it showed up in Video Audio Streaming which is designed for heavily buffered media streaming as opposed to low latency telecommunication.

There are bound to special cases, but I have found that FreshJR's default recommendations in the first post of this thread to be the best for me.

Thank you! Could I ask how exactly to figure that out? I presume I just open a zoom session and then watch the QOS classification page to see what is active at the time?

From looking at the page it appears that I can re-classify different known traffic. Is there any good post or tutorial page that would walk me through how to classify traffic differently?

Thoughts on whether I should tag the access point and/or my desktop as "highest" in the bandwidth monitor?

And, lastly, I notice that FreshJR hasn't been active on the board since last summer. His script and his posts were extremely helpful. Does this mean development on the script is essentially over?

Thank you again!

Thank you! Could I ask how exactly to figure that out? I presume I just open a zoom session and then watch the QOS classification page to see what is active at the time?

From looking at the page it appears that I can re-classify different known traffic. Is there any good post or tutorial page that would walk me through how to classify traffic differently?

Thoughts on whether I should tag the access point and/or my desktop as "highest" in the bandwidth monitor?

And, lastly, I notice that FreshJR hasn't been active on the board since last summer. His script and his posts were extremely helpful. Does this mean development on the script is essentially over?

Thank you again!
You are right. Adaptive QoS --> Classification --> Tracked connections
Your traffic should stand out because of Remote port, Remote IP and Local IP. If common enough, the classification algorithm may identify it specifically.

The classification is borrowed from AiProtection. I do not know how to change classification and would not recommend it even if I did.

If need be, rearrange the FreshJR categories, but the defaults are the best starting point.

I would not try to prioritize by device. I am not sure what you are referring to in Bandwidth Monitor. Clicking severity buttons changes what is displayed. It does not change QoS settings.

I would not do anything else unless you knew precisely what the problem is. You will likely make it worse.

Development on this script is essentially over, but then again it is a solved problem for the most part.

I am not sure what you are referring to in Bandwidth Monitor. Clicking severity buttons changes what is displayed. It does not change QoS settings.
You can drag the priority onto each device icon to change the device priority. Not recommended by FreshJR, and you’d never guess it was possible just by looking at the UI.

[ATTACH = full] 21986 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 21987 [/ ATTACH]
My internet is 600 Megabytes / s ... but I put 180 up and 250 down manually ... so I get a better buffer ... I update to Merlin version 384.15 ... and install FreshJR script ... when I play CSGO or Battlefield4 I notice small microcuts and screen locks. I put the rules ... because it's like less microcuts than I have, but I don't know what to do ... if I download an older version, will it be the solution? ...

Attachments

• QoS1.jpg
    QoS1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 217
  • QoS2.jpg
    QoS2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
[ATTACH = full] 21986 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 21987 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 21986 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 21987 [/ ATTACH] Hola, mi inglés no es muy bueno pero yo intentará explicar:

Mi internet es de 600 Megabytes / s ... pero puse 180 arriba y 250 abajo manualmente ... con lo que obtengo un mejor búfer ... Actualizo a Merlin versión 384.15 ... e instalo el script FreshJR ... cuando juego CSGO o Battlefield4 Noto pequeños microcortes y bloqueos de pantalla.
Puse las reglas ... porque es como menos microcortes que las que tengo, pero no sé qué hacer ... si descargo una versión anterior, ¿será la solución? ...
JvN5WSL

fQkTKFB

QoS1.jpg

¿Estoy haciendo algo mal?
Tengo un Asus RT-AC-88U ...
Antes no tenía problemas ... ¿hay alguna versión de Merlin que funcione bien con la QoS de FreshJR?
English please.

[ATTACH = full] 21986 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 21987 [/ ATTACH]
My internet is 600 Megabytes / s ... but I put 180 up and 250 down manually ... so I get a better buffer ... I update to Merlin version 384.15 ... and install FreshJR script ... when I play CSGO or Battlefield4 I notice small microcuts and screen locks. I put the rules ... because it's like less microcuts than I have, but I don't know what to do ... if I download an older version, will it be the solution? ...
Are you using 95% bandwidth?

I'm not using 95% ... using 95% would be around 570 by 600 symmetric megabytes.
Today I will reinstall everything and set it to 95%
Although I doubt that is the problem.

What version of asus Merlin do you use?
I'm using 384.16 beta 1, my bandwidth is 95% I have VDSL2 100/40 it's actually around 95/37.

You need to set a cap like 95% on bandwidth for QoS to work.

I'm using 384.16 beta 1, my bandwidth is 95% I have VDSL2 100/40 it's actually around 95/37.

You need to set a cap like 95% on bandwidth for QoS to work.

Working through your math, so it's clear to everyone including me!
  1. Your internet connection is 100/40 (either actual line sync or what you pay for!)
  2. You've done a speedtest.net or similar, which reports the usable bandwidth to be around 95/37 (roughly 95% of the above which is around what you would expect)
  3. Following best practice you have set your QoS bandwidth limits to 95% of the usable bandwidth: therefore approx. 90/35
?

In the case of a AiMesh setup, I presume QoS functionality takes place exclusively on the master router and with no direct bearing on the nodes? Has anyone noticed any side effects with using QoS (either with or without this script) alongside AiMesh?

Having had previous issues with AiMesh (slow downs over a period of time, between hours and days, usually requiring a reboot to bring things back up to speed), I've recently redone my complete setup from scratch, layering on various bits of functionality one-by-one. Everything is looking good so far (or at least considerably better), with one of the few things remaining to re-enable QoS.

Most likely coincidence, especially as I've also upgrade firmware version too, but got me thinking..

Working through your math, so it's clear to everyone including me!
  1. Your internet connection is 100/40 (either actual line sync or what you pay for!)
  2. You've done a speedtest.net or similar, which reports the usable bandwidth to be around 95/37 (roughly 95% of the above which is around what you would expect)
  3. Following best practice you have set your QoS bandwidth limits to 95% of the usable bandwidth: therefore approx. 90/35
?
Yes I took 95% of the bandwidth from, speed test multiple speed test results averaged.

I'm not getting line speed because I'm on VDSL2, if I was on fiber-optic it would be what I'm paying for, my real world speed is about 95/37 form speed tests I take about 95% of that and use it for QoS.

I'm not using 95% ... using 95% would be around 570 by 600 symmetric megabytes.
Today I will reinstall everything and set it to 95%
Although I doubt that is the problem.

What version of asus Merlin do you use?

600/600 mb and you need Qos?.......Sure?

I just installed 384.16_beta1 on my RT-AX56U, I'm trying to understand how I should setup the QoS.
I managed to install FreshJr script.
I have a 100/45mbps FTTH conenction (I didn't change the WAN packet overhead, which is set to 0), I tried to manually set bandwith to 75/35 (and even a more conservative 50/20) but the bufferbloat is still very high, I noticed a small difference in download latency but no difference in upload.
The QoS correctly identify Overwatch as Gaming but looking at the latency it doesn't seem like it's actually prioritizing the packets (I have random 70-80ms latency spikes compared to 40 with no QoS)

My router Asus RT-AC5300 with freshjr

Heyy guys what do you think is better for gaming because for me i have the feeling if i let the wireless modus on default my internet feels more stabel on my gaming pc, with lan,?

I also tried smart connection rules, but it felt less response.

Do you think i should enable regulary flush management?

Do you have any tips/tweaks settings for the the router for gaming?

I have ppoe/vdls2 and set up as fresh recommend wir adaptive qos priorize gaming, and fq_codel with 95% bandwith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!