What's new

NVRAM [Release] NVRAM Save/Restore Utility

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the NVRAM I solved using this scrypt:

for line in `nvram show | grep = $ `; do var = $ {line% * =}; nvram unset $ var; done; nvram commit

Now the alert is gone. However I didn't understand how to use this addon. I'll use the 'search' option of the forum
Wiki has the information about the Addons:

Hi,

I have used this utility to perform a backup an later restore to save samba/ftp configurations, but i want to know wich nvram value I can save to backup the 'Smart Access' flag to 'ON' under the AiCloud 2.0 menu.

Thanks.

Attachments

• SmartAccess.PNG
    SmartAccess.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 144
Hi,

I have used this utility to perform a backup an later restore to save samba/ftp configurations, but i want to know wich nvram value I can save to backup the 'Smart Access' flag to 'ON' under the AiCloud 2.0 menu.

Thanks.
I will look into it. Need a few days though as I am away from home.

I will look into it. Need a few days though as I am away from home.
Hello,

I have thinking about this and i have made a full backup with Smarte Access configured to 'OFF' and another full backup with Smart Access configured to 'ON'.
Then, i compared two nvram-usr.txt files with WinMerge and i discovered two differences in 'AICloud setting' section:
Code:
enable_webdav
webdav_proxy

I have added this two lines in my custom .ini file.

Regards.

Hello,

I have thinking about this and i have made a full backup with Smarte Access configured to 'OFF' and another full backup with Smart Access configured to 'ON'.
Then, i compared two nvram-usr.txt files with WinMerge and i discovered two differences in 'AICloud setting' section:
Code:
enable_webdav
webdav_proxy

I have added this two lines in my custom .ini file.

Regards.
Thank you for the update! I will incorporate the updates to the github repository.

Hello,

I have 2 routers: An Asus RT-AC68U and an Asus RT-AC68W. The only difference between the 2 router models is the color (otherwise the RT-AC68U and RT-AC68W are the exact same). The router that I'm currently actively using is the Asus RT-AC68U - all of my preferred settings etc are setup on it to my preference. I will be holding onto the RT-AC68W as a backup, in case my RT-AC68U fails and needs to be replaced. I want to be ready to replace the current router quickly in case of failure. Rather than manually take note of all manual settings I setup (such as static IP addresses, DNS settings, ports forwarded, etc) and apply them manually on the RT_AC68W, I figured it would be easier to use the NVRAM utility. So I downloaded the latest version from https://github.com/Xentrk/nvram-save-restore-utility. Then I formatted a USB thumb drive as FAT, plugged into the Asus RT-AC68U, Putty'ed into the router, and ran the following command: /usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Xentrk/nvram-save-restore-utility/master/nsrum" -o "/jffs/scripts/nsrum" && sleep 5 && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/nsrum && sh /jffs/scripts/nsrum

Then I installed NVRAM Save/Restore Utility Files. Once done, I ran the following command to save the current router configuration: ./nvram-save.sh

After a couple minutes, the process fully completed and it was successful. So then I plugged the USB drive into the RT_AC68W router and Putty'ed into it. I ran the following command to restore the previously backed up settings: ./nvram-restore.sh

It warned me that Migration restore from a full nvram-save is not supported on this save file. I typed 'Y' to proceed. At one point it warned me that the MAC address of the router from which the settings were backed up is different from the one I'm restoring the settings to - I proceeded. It prompted me "Perform a clean restore and remove ununsed NVRAM variables [Y/N]?", and I typed 'Y'. But then I got "NVRAM FULL Restore possibly NOT SAFE for Firmwares later than v380.xx - hope you know what you are doing!!". I was wondering - is it indeed unsafe to attempt a restore on later firmwares later than v380.xx, or is that just a routine disclaimer in case something goes wrong? Is it rare for something to go wrong, or should this utility mainly be used with older firmware versions?

Thank you.

Anyone use this to upgrade to 386.3 release? Seems like it could be out of date.
It seems to me that another "addon" coder has "left the building" ... there has been ZERO sign of @Xentrk, the author of this addon and several others, since 1 June 2021.??? Hope he's OK :confused:?

It seems to me that another "addon" coder has "left the building" ... there has been ZERO sign of @Xentrk, the author of this addon and several others, since 1 June 2021.??? Hope he's OK :confused:?
Sad story, but that's life - you lose companions on the way... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sad story, but that's life - you lose companions on the way... :rolleyes:
And I still do an nvram-save.sh before I update my router. Hats off to @john9527 , @Martineau and @Xentrk for providing this tool.
Not sure it ever got the kudos for how useful it is/was. If more people would use it before and after a firmware update (after doing a factory defaults reset), our threads would be a lot quieter...

Fortunately he is OK. There is an activity on his FB account on November 25th and also his Dad's account has some Christmas posts mentioning him. So he just left our community building, hope for a while ....

Anyone else stuck at saving the Guest Network settings?
It's been over half an hour already. No one connected to Guest Network, BTW.

Attachments

• scr-sht_22-05-06_09.39.16.png
    scr-sht_22-05-06_09.39.16.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 80
Nope - in my case it runs fast as always...
Code:
nvram-save.sh: Saving RT-AX88U settings from firmware 386.5_2
nvram-save.sh: Using standard NVRAM variable file: nvram-merlin.ini Version=30.4.0
nvram-save.sh: Running in Backup Mode

Saving [System - Basic]                   1 secs (62  variables, Bytes=143     Total=143  )
 Saving [System - Other]                   2 secs (77  variables, Bytes=1325    Total=1468 )
 Saving [Tweaks & Hidden settings]         1 secs (49  variables, Bytes=120     Total=1588 )
 Saving [Disk Utility]                     0 secs (13  variables, Bytes=11      Total=1599 )
 Saving [AiMesh]                           1 secs (12  variables, Bytes=144     Total=1743 )
 Saving [Switch Control]                   0 secs (6   variables, Bytes=1       Total=1744 )
 Saving [NAT Passthrough]                  0 secs (8   variables, Bytes=7       Total=1751 )
 Saving [TCP/UDP settings]                 0 secs (4   variables, Bytes=50      Total=1801 )
 Saving [Port Forwards]                    0 secs (5   variables, Bytes=78      Total=1879 )
 Saving [Port Triggers]                    0 secs (2   variables, Bytes=1       Total=1880 )
 Saving [Static Routing]                   0 secs (2   variables, Bytes=1       Total=1881 )
 Saving [MAC Filters]                      1 secs (30  variables, Bytes=64      Total=1945 )
 Saving [IPv6 settings]                    2 secs (97  variables, Bytes=178     Total=2123 )
 Saving [Wireless - General]               3 secs (119 variables, Bytes=182     Total=2305 )
 Saving [Wireless - Professional]          3 secs (139 variables, Bytes=164     Total=2469 )
 Saving [Wireless - Smart Connect]         0 secs (22  variables, Bytes=50      Total=2519 )
 Saving [Wireless - Concurrent Repeater]   1 secs (46  variables, Bytes=1       Total=2520 )
 Saving [Guest Network]                    3 secs (180 variables, Bytes=324     Total=2844 )
 Saving [Firewall settings]                1 secs (26  variables, Bytes=57      Total=2901 )
 etc.

Nope - in my case it runs fast as always...
- Help! My child is dying! Is there a doctor in the house?
- Well I'm not a doctor and I'm not dying!

WOW! That is SUUUPER HELPFUL. Thank you for that input @joegreat!
I am so happy that you DID NOT have this issue, but
THAT.
WAS NOT.
THE QUESTION.

I would really appreciate someone's help, who actually had this problem or knows how to solve it. Thank you.

Update: existed the GUI, restarted the save NVRM script, now it is stuck at the last openVPN connection. Do I have to disconnect from everything before saving?

Last edited:
THAT.
WAS NOT.
THE QUESTION.
Yes it was actually, so there's no need for sarcasm.

You asked "Anyone else stuck at saving the Guest Network settings?" @joegreat's answer is a valid reply that tells you that the script isn't fundamentally incompatible with the current firmware and that it doesn't take half an hour to run. So there's likely something different with your setup. Given that this thread is practically dead and the script unsupported by its author that's possibly the most helpful answer you're going to get.

Last edited:
It's been over half an hour already. No one connected to Guest Network, BTW.
Perhaps you're having a bad day or something. You did ask if others are experiencing the problem. @joegreat answered in the negative with proof.

Have you tried restarting? Have you investigated if your hard drive is going bad? You could be running into any number of issues.

As for your newest question, I've never had to disconnect anything to run a save.

As for your first question, +1 to @joegreat's reply. I just ran it and it was very fast.

Take a breather, re-read what you wrote, think about if your reply was warranted and how you want to proceed from there.

Have you tried restarting? Have you investigated if your hard drive is going bad? You could be running into any number of issues.
Restarted, checked the disk, all fine.
It appears the script hangs every time on the last OPEN (open)VPN connection (with killswitch activated, to which it falls back on) and also hangs on the guest Wifi (when GUI is open, no matter to which window).
Had to close them all to finish a backup.

Are there any better alternatives out there to this NVRAM save/restore utility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!