What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.8 -Mar 17, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner, GT-AXE/AX + Speedtest)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

well when you upgrade the graphics from ascii to 8-bit, I'll start getting more interested. how's your BASIC?
Hahah. Depends how good the graphics card in your router is! :D

Happy to announce a new RTRMON beta today... v1.06b1 is ready for a spin. @heysoundude - you got your wish. IP6 info is now readily available for your WAN and LAN. ;) Many thanks to @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for his assist with this!

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.06b1.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Screenshot:
1659276291674.png

Changelog:
v1.06b1
- ADDED:
Additional stats on the networking page, including the WAN and LAN IP6 addresses. Though my alignment OCD will have to live with the fact that IP6 addresses are variable length and won't fit nicely between brackets. Thanks to @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for his assist in developing the code that pulls this info!

fair warning - its exhausting being me ;-)
Hahah... I'm definitely not planning on changing my handle to "Jack Yaz Jr" just yet. LOL

Man, I don't know how you do it! Jack used to be the guy that seemed to be in need of a break, now, you stayin in Viktory Lane, and a-smokin.....
Thanks for all the hard work to all you fellas.

We've got a BIGGIE for our RTRMON beta crowd today... We're leaping from v1.06b1 to v1.1b1! Putting on my @Jack Yaz Jr hat today, and introducing the capability of running Ookla Speedtests directly from RTRMON! This ain't no spdMerlin... no fancy graphics, graphs, history... just the bare minimum -- a spdMerlin-lite-lite if you will. LOL.

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.1b1.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Screenshot:
rtrmon-1.1b1.jpg

Some changes to the configuration menu include enabling the Ookla Speedtest as well as a new entry to capture your Upload speeds for your WAN, since the vast majority of us out there are not symmetrical... would highly recommend making sure you stop by the configuration page and save your settings before running RTRMON! ;)

rtrmon-1.1b1-2.jpg

Changelog:
v1.1beta1
- MAJOR:
Added a major enhancement to RTRMON -- namely, the commandline Ookla Speedtest binary! Whoo! On the newly added Page 3 of the application, you can now initiate a manual speedtest! It will by default use your primary WAN connection and pick the closest server to you to run its test, and display these results on Page 3. These results are saved to a file, so next time you launch RTRMON, you will be able to see your last results. There are no fancy spdMerlin graphs or charts, but just good ol' plain data, and some progress indicators giving you a dashboard-like view of your actual vs max WAN up/down speeds. In the setup menu, you can now enable 'Ookla Speedtest', which will download and install the binaries. If you disable it, the setup menu will prompt you to uninstall these components for you.
- ADDED: Another variable has been added to capture your WAN upload speed. I personally don't have symmetrical up/download speeds, and using this will only give you a better indicator what's happening on your network as it measures and displays these results.
- ADDED: Additional stats on the networking page, including the WAN and LAN IP6 addresses. Though my alignment OCD will have to live with the fact that IP6 addresses are variable length and won't fit nicely between brackets. Thanks to @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for his assist in developing the code that pulls this info! RTRMON v1.06b1 additions have been absorbed under this major release.

And as a major disclaimer... there comes a point where the CPU in your router can't handle the speed of your connection while running a speedtest, and as you see, mine tops out around 500Mbps on a 1GB connection. Your experience may vary depending on your connection speeds and the type of router/CPU you have. But this has been discussed ad nauseum in multiple other threads if you want to read up on this. The best way to measure your bandwidth is to plug a laptop directly into one of your LAN ports, and run a speed test directly through it, instead of making the router CPU try to handle this load.

Friday = Release day... ;) Enjoy new v1.1 coming out of beta, with some major changes, notably adding the Ookla Speedtest Binaries to the project!

v1.1 - (August 5, 2022)
- MAJOR:
Added a major enhancement to RTRMON -- namely, the commandline Ookla Speedtest binary! Whoo! On the newly added Page 3 of the application, you can now initiate a manual speedtest! It will by default use your primary WAN connection and pick the closest server to you to run its test, and display these results on Page 3. These results are saved to a file, so next time you launch RTRMON, you will be able to see your last results. There are no fancy spdMerlin graphs or charts, but just good ol' plain data, and some progress indicators giving you a dashboard-like view of your actual vs max WAN up/down speeds. In the setup menu, you can now enable 'Ookla Speedtest', which will download and install the binaries. If you disable it, the setup menu will prompt you to uninstall these components for you.
- ADDED: Another variable has been added to capture your WAN upload speed. I personally don't have symmetrical up/download speeds, and using this will only give you a better indicator what's happening on your network as it measures and displays these results.
- ADDED: Additional stats on the networking page, including the WAN and LAN IP6 addresses. Though my alignment OCD will have to live with the fact that IP6 addresses are variable length and won't fit nicely between brackets. Thanks to @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for his assist in developing the code that pulls this info! RTRMON v1.06b1 additions have been absorbed under this major release.

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.1.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Screenshot:
rtrmon-1.1-3.jpg

Houston, we have a problem ...

RTRMon.jpg

Also, 38 Mbps Download seems wrong ... I'm getting OVER 100 on the @Jack Yaz spdMerlin .
Does that mean his is "better" ? :p

Google Chrome192.168.1.254spdMerlin - Google ChromeScreen Shot 6 Aug 2022 at 10.27.18.jpg

Houston, we have a problem ...

View attachment 43324

Also, 38 Mbps Download seems wrong ... I'm getting OVER 100 on the @Jack Yaz spdMerlin .
Does that mean his is "better" ? :p

View attachment 43325
LOL... those are some crazy results! First off... do you see a /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/results.txt out there? If so, what's its contents?

Look at your crazy packetloss number... I'll look into this further, but it almost seems like your results are formatted differently, and am not grabbing the right content for its variables! :(

It would also be interesting for you to run "/jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/speedtest", and send those results too please? :)

do you see a /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/results.txt out there?
First thing I went looking for, contents:-

Code:
SpdDate="Sat Aug  6 10:35:33 AEST 2022"
SpdServer="Exetel - Sydney" "13279"
SpdLatency=1.089
SpdJitter=0
SpdPacketLoss=13219878
SpdDownload=4737063
SpdUpload=54418736

It would also be interesting for you to run "/jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/speedtest"

Raw data looks good, I pay for a 100/40.

Code:
admin@AsusRouter:/jffs/scripts# /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Optus - Sydney (id = 1267)
        ISP: Superloop
    Latency:     7.97 ms   (0.76 ms jitter)
   Download:   105.78 Mbps (data used: 89.7 MB )
     Upload:    37.62 Mbps (data used: 17.4 MB )
Packet Loss:     0.0%
Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/67f0a154-b979-4288-bc4a-2c43ec792f88

Maybe Speedtest is upside down in this part of the world and @Jack Yaz has sneakily compensated ...

Same test from RTRMon GUI soon after, it even picked the same Optus server ...

SecureFXSecureFXScreen Shot 6 Aug 2022 at 13.04.03.jpg

Last edited:

Code:
SpdLatency=1.089
SpdJitter=0
SpdPacketLoss=13219878
SpdDownload=4737063
SpdUpload=54418736

Code:

Speedtest by Ookla

Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/67f0a154-b979-4288-bc4a-2c43ec792f88

Maybe Speedtest is upside down in this part of the world and @Jack Yaz has sneakily compensated ...

View attachment 43328
I think I see the problem... Let me work on this! Thanks for sharing this info!

Btw, looks like your packetloss is actually your download bytes/sec. Yeah, things are dropping into the wrong variables. Doh.

Code:
SpdLatency=1.089
SpdJitter=0
SpdPacketLoss=13219878
SpdDownload=4737063
SpdUpload=54418736

Code:

Speedtest by Ookla

Good news, @Stephen Harrington ... I think I caught the bugger. Could you please download this new version and see if that fixes your issue?

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.11.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

That's better, looking MUCH more plausible!

vSSHvSSH - admin@192.168.1.254 (ssh)Screen Shot 6 Aug 2022 at 18.47.24.jpg

And with that, v1.11 is available! Minor bug fix release. ;) Many thanks to @Stephen Harrington for finding these bugs!

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.11.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Changelog:
v1.11 - Aug 6 2022
- FIXED
: A parsing issue was generating some weird results due to the formatting of some the test servers, and subsequently dropping the wrong data into the wrong fields.

Bonus error handling bypass ... can anyone guess what causes this "crash" ?

vSSHvSSH - admin@192.168.1.254 (ssh)Screen Shot 6 Aug 2022 at 22.17.04.jpg

Answer ... hitting the "N' key before:-

[Initiating Boot Sequence - Gathering Initial Stats...]

has completely finished its run ...

Probably needs to loop around into Gathering Initial Stats again, or ignore the key until "gather" has finished ...

Sorry @Viktor Jaep , in a mischievous mood tonight :p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!