What's new

Relocating Antennas RT-AC88U "Pattern"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ronin

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I have an interesting project. Sort of a "One Device to Rule them All". I was unable to locate a clear cut answer via Google/or searching the forum.

I would like to take an Asus RT-AC88U with it's 8-port Switch and locate the actual unit inside a (well ventilated) media cabinet where all the Ethernet cables terminate.

However, that would obscure the Wi-Fi and bury the antennas.

Questions for the Wi-Fi Experts:

1.) Can I "reliably" throw the base station in the cabinet for the Ethernet connections, and simply run RP-SMA extension cables back outside the cabinet and mount the 4 antennas on the wall or outside the cabinet?

-if yes

2.) Do I need to maintain the "factory spacing" of how they were mounted to the base station or can I just space them out further or closer or custom?

Thanks in advance. Seems like a simple solution, relocate the antennas, but I am most confused about geometry.

-Ronin

Attachments

• 31o2NX0a-vL.jpg
    31o2NX0a-vL.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 639

but be aware there is signal loss occurred in the coax unless you get the good stuff and keep them as short as possible spacing wise it prob doesnt make much difference but prob not to close together

Thanks for the quick reply, what would constitute 'good stuff'? I can probably get away with as little as 20" to 36" (up to 1 Meter) on the long side.

On that note, it will share a cabinet with Audio equipment, NAS/HTPC, UPS (that it will be plugged into). Any other noise or interference concerns?

There is no way anybody here can answer your question with any certainty. The freqs that routers use are high and coax loss is a huge issue more so on 5 GHz the only way to know is try it and see if it gives you what your looking for. If you do decide to try it please post back with your findings.

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting project. Sort of a "One Device to Rule them All". I was unable to locate a clear cut answer via Google/or searching the forum.

I would like to take an Asus RT-AC88U with it's 8-port Switch and locate the actual unit inside a (well ventilated) media cabinet where all the Ethernet cables terminate.

However, that would obscure the Wi-Fi and bury the antennas.

Questions for the Wi-Fi Experts:

1.) Can I "reliably" throw the base station in the cabinet for the Ethernet connections, and simply run RP-SMA extension cables back outside the cabinet and mount the 4 antennas on the wall or outside the cabinet?

-if yes

2.) Do I need to maintain the "factory spacing" of how they were mounted to the base station or can I just space them out further or closer or custom?

Thanks in advance. Seems like a simple solution, relocate the antennas, but I am most confused about geometry.

-Ronin
What is your media cabinet made of "lead"? Why are you assuming so much signal loss?

What is your media cabinet made of "lead"? Why are you assuming so much signal loss?

The cabinet is solid Walnut with a front glass opening, and top rear fan for ventilation.

However, I fear it is more of an issue with the Antennas being squashed horizontal.

I presently have a RT-66U Dark Night and Asus has a recommended antenna layout. \ | /
I would not be able to maintain that so called layout. To be fair the Rt-66U struggles as it is with 5ghz signals in "line of sight" - thus my concern and upgrade to the 88U and more Ethernet ports. The Wi-Fi will need to radiate out for mobile devices, and home automation.

horizontal (parallel to the floor) alignment of antennas.. not very important for indoors. Especially in non-line-of-sight.
Just a few dB of cross-pol loss if any. That's a small percentage of the overall loss from end to end.

enclosure: try to use thin wood, not plywood. Or Plexiglas.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, what would constitute 'good stuff'? I can probably get away with as little as 20" to 36" (up to 1 Meter) on the long side.

On that note, it will share a cabinet with Audio equipment, NAS/HTPC, UPS (that it will be plugged into). Any other noise or interference concerns?

Using the router inside a cabinet as described and/or using it with 'extension' connectors may very well give you the same effective WiFi range in the end.

Re-arrange your equipment so that the router's attached antennae is in free air for the best performance possible (assuming location, location, location is already addressed).

Great information guys. I think I will make modifications to the cabinet instead of detaching and relocating the ants.