What's new

Remote assistance through DSL& DI-524 challenge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cage22

New Around Here
I can't get remote assistance to work for my mom. She sends me an invite and I can only get in if she plugs her wired PC straight into the Verizon DSL Westell 610030 w/IP pass through enabled and not if she tries to go through both the Westell and DI-524.

I setup her Dlink DI-524 port forwarding (virtual server) to 3389 always/UDP/TCP going to her 192.168.0.123 and also setup the DI-524 Static DHCP based on her MAC to assign her 192.168.0.123. IP config shows she's getting assigned the 123 IP. I even tried turning on the DMZ. Didn't help. I also edit the RcBuddy.MsRcIncident w/notepad changing the IP from a 192 to her real external public IP. This all works only if I have her connect directly to the Westell.

4 1/2 hours later. No progress. Help please.
I'd like to get this working w/out setting the Westell to bridge mode. I want to know what I'm missing rather than a work-around.
Router REV C has latest firmware.

The following links might help someone figure this out.
screenshots.portforward.com/Dlink/DI-524/index.htm
portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-524/Remote_Desktop.htm

Is the DLink getting a public IP address on its WAN interface, or another Private class C IP address from the Westell. I have a hunch that your DLink is getting another private IP from the Westell..hence you're double NAT'ing...which...yuck.

Why is the Dlink in place? I would think, being an older generation router that is quite slow, it's a bottleneck for performance and just complicating the network.

If you need to use your own router, you want to "bridge" the Westell combo modem/router, which effectively turns it into a pure dumb modem, and your router does the PPPoE and obtains the public IP address on its WAN port.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

YeOldeStonecat,

Thanks for the reply. The D-Link is getting a private IP (I believe 192.168.1.15), so I don't think there's any double-NAT'ing.

As for why.. I gave her my old laptop which has a 'matching' D-Link G card in it. I gave her the wireless router so she could enjoy surfing the web from anywhere in her small house. She does only basic websurfing and e-mail. No streaming.

I've thought about bridging. It's tough to change anything since she's in FL and I'm in VA. Also, I'm really curious why this setup won't work.

YeOldeStonecat,

Thanks for the reply. The D-Link is getting a private IP (I believe 192.168.1.15), so I don't think there's any double-NAT'ing.

Actually, you are double NATing.
The Westell is a combo modem/router...it's doing NAT...feeding a 192.168.1.xxx network.
The DLink gets that .15 address..and again does NAT..feeding a 192.168.0.xxx network.

The NAT of the Westell is blocking your RDP. You won't be able to connect to any services that you do port fowarding to on the DLink..because any port forwarding you do on the DLink is hidden behind the NAT of the Westell. You have two NAT walls...you port forwarded on one..but not the other. Setting up double port forward is technically possible..but many applications don't like being molested by double NAT...so I'd never attempt such a disaster.

The two choices I'd present to you...and I realize it's difficult since you're states away..but perhaps next time you go visit.
Follow the guide above..to flip the Westell to a bridge.
Or...what's easier, and keeps the Westell in ISP supported mode.....convert your DLink wireless router into just an access point, and uplink it to the Westell using LAN ports only.
Log into the DLink web admin, change it's LAN IP address to 192.168.1.253. (write that down and keep it). Apply changes. Wait til your PC picks up a new IP address that matches it...and now log into the DLink again..but at the new address, 192.168.1.253. Disable DHCP on it...apply changes. Now..uplink your DLink to the Westell using a LAN port on each. You will NOT use the WAN/Internet port of the DLink. Now you're using it as just an access point, the Westell provides DHCP, and you're happily single NAT'd. Now you can setup the port forwarding and DHCP reservation on the Westell similar to what you did on the DLink.

Or make life really easy for remote support right now!...just to go www.teamviewer.com and enjoy a wicked easy remote support program where you don't have to worry about the end users IP address and any firewall junk to deal with.

YeOldeStonecat,

THANK YOU so much. You're the first one (on 3 website forums) to give me an answer. I misunderstood double-NAT'ing. I'm going print this and save it and follow your advice. Thank you so very very much.

Sincerely,
Rob in VA

p.s. I've always had my home setup similarly - westell DSL modem going into a Belkin N1's WAN port. Should I not do this?

Last edited:
p.s. I've always had my home setup similarly - westell DSL modem going into a Belkin N1's WAN port. Should I not do this?

Most "average users" will not realize the difference. Double NAT'ing can work for many people just fine, assuming they're lucky enough to get hardware that mixes together without issues. In your case, the Westell defaults to 192.168.1.xxx for an internal IP range, and you had an older DLink which defaults to 192.168.0.xxx for its internal IP range. So the important thing needed for that to work..both routers were different IP ranges. Had you had 2x routers which defaulted to the same internal IP range...like...you had a Linksys router which defaulted to 192.168.1.xxx....and the Westell with 192.168.1.xxx...your Linksys router would be confused and hell and just fall flat on its face. The "router" wouldn't know which way to go...same network on both sides! "Which way do I go George?!?!?!"

You get a slight slowdown with double routers..although again, many won't notice unless once of the routers is older/much slower (bottleneck).

Some software doesn't like double NAT..and can get quirky. Although most users will not run into this, I have quite a few times. Some older remote access software like PcAnywhere, or some VPN client software, or other messaging software that requires heavy UPnP support that can keep up with it.

Thank you again. I'm going to fix my mom's setup as well as my own when I get home based on your response. I'm searching now to find articles on double-NAT'ing. I thought I understood it, obviously not. I'm really glad you answered my question/post as I knew if someone did, I'd learn something valuable instead of just patching a situation.