What's new

Renaming Devices in NetworkMap doesn't stick

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
Currently running Merlin 384.19 b1 on a ASUS RT-AC68U.

I am trying to free up some NVRAM space by shortening device names and it won't let me. I have checked my current NVRAM and it's only at 59725 / 65536 bytes, but when I attempt to rename in the Network Map, it just reverts as soom as I click off of it and reload the map.

I can rename them if they're in my static dns list, but I don't want to add every item as a static ip, rename the device, and then remove the device as a static ip, just so that I can rename them.

I made a short gif of it happening:

capture.gif

Any ideas what's wrong here?

TIA

I know this is an ancient post, but I am seeing the same problem as of recently on my RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.11. Did you ever find a solution?

I know this is an ancient post, but I am seeing the same problem as of recently on my RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.11. Did you ever find a solution?

It’s better to rename them by using the Client Status sidebar and applying the changes. That seems to make them stick.

How is your NVRAM utilization? 386.11 on that model may have filled up your NVRAM. A factory reset and manual reconfigure can reduce the NVRAM utilization. Alternatively you can go back to 386.7_2 which is before the NVRAM issues started.

Thanks for the replies.

- I've tried restarting and renaming via both the Client Status bar + View List.

- Yesterday I ran the popular command to remove empty "=" variables, and that gave me a good amount of space, but no change in the client list behavior.

Today I did notice that my JFFS partition is full because of the TrafficAnalyzer.db error where that file grows until it completely fills up the partition. Looks like I'll have to follow the post that talks about deleting that when there is no space left for it to properly process a rm command in SSH. Apparently the stuck filesystem can persist even after a factory reset.

I am seeing the same issue with renaming on the same model device and Merlin firmware version but my NVRAM does not appear to be filled up.
79233 / 131072 bytes

I am seeing the same issue with renaming on the same model device and Merlin firmware version but my NVRAM does not appear to be filled up.
79233 / 131072 bytes
You don't have the same model device because the RT-AC68U doesn't have 128kB of NVRAM. Maybe you have an RT-AC86U instead.

Oh yes, you are correct. How dyslexic of me. But even so, since I have 79233 / 131072 bytes of NVRAM then this is likely not the same cause in my case of not being able to rename?

I just noticed that 386.12_4 Merlin FW is available. Does anyone know if that will help in this situation?

Nobody knows.

Only testing will tell.

To test it fully, prepare your router/self to be able to quickly get back to where you are now.

After completing the above steps, you can flash the new firmware and see if it helps.

If issues persist (and they probably will), then a full reset and minimal and manual configuring are required to test it properly.

Ok so now I notice that I cannot even remove manually assigned IPs from the DHCP table. It says applying settings but nothing changes and the devices I am trying to remove stay in the table. ???

upgraded firmware to Merlin 386.12_4 but that did not fix the issue of not being able to make any changes to removing devices from manual IP settings or changing device names etc.

upgraded firmware to Merlin 386.12_4 but that did not fix the issue of not being able to make any changes to removing devices from manual IP settings or changing device names etc.
Have you tried a hard factory reset?
Are you running any other add-on scripts?
Is the router configured for wireless router mode or configured for some other mode?

No factory reset. I have too many settings I have configured. Don't want to mess with that.
No addon scripts.
Wireless router mode.
Someone in this thread above suggested rolling back the firmware to 386.7_2 but am cautious about trying that.

Do the following, and you'll have a 10-minute path back to where you are now.

A reset is required in this case (at least to test properly).

No factory reset. I have too many settings I have configured. Don't want to mess with that.
Well that's your choice to not do what is often considered and suggested as a very basic troubleshooting step when other troubleshooting steps do not work. Good luck.

Well that's your choice to not do what is often considered and suggested as a very basic troubleshooting step when other troubleshooting steps do not work. Good luck.
So didn't need good luck. I just reset the JFFS at reboot and had to rename a few devices. Good to go.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!