What's new

Repeater mode + DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boston

New Around Here
Hi,
After many attempts, I concluded that probably the nature of repeater mode doesn't allow to set custom DNS on Asus Merlin, perhaps I'm wrong and you guys can give me some hand/workaround. This is my last try.

Goal: Set DNS for NEXTDNS / Also their install script does not work on repeater mode, dnscrypt from amtm neither.

/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add

no-resolv
bogus-priv
strict-order
server=2a07:a8c1::
server=45.90.30.0
server=2a07:a8c0::
server=45.90.28.0

service restart_dnsmasq

Syslog

dnsmasq[2836]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
dnsmasq[7251]: started, version 2.85 cachesize 1500
dnsmasq[7251]: warning: ignoring resolv-file flag because no-resolv is set
dnsmasq[7251]: asynchronous logging enabled, queue limit is 5 messages
dnsmasq[7251]: using nameserver 45.90.28.0#53
dnsmasq[7251]: using nameserver 2a07:a8c0::#53
dnsmasq[7251]: using nameserver 45.90.30.0#53
dnsmasq[7251]: using nameserver 2a07:a8c1::#53
dnsmasq[7251]: using nameserver 45.90.28.0#53
dnsmasq[7251]: using nameserver 2a07:a8c0::#53
dnsmasq[7251]: using nameserver 45.90.30.0#53
dnsmasq[7251]: using nameserver 2a07:a8c1::#53

Does nothing!

HW: GT-AX6000
FW: 388.1

Thank you!

There is no routing in Repeater Mode. What DNS you want to set there? You have to set it on the main Router.

There is no routing in Repeater Mode. What DNS you want to set there? You have to set it on the main Router.
Thank you for your reply, the main router (from ISP) does not allow me to change it. If I set the DNS on any device, it works just fine, but gives me a lot of work.

This is a waste of GT-AX6000 router. Use it in Router mode behind your ISP modem/router, bridge mode or double NAT - whatever is available.

This is a waste of GT-AX6000 router. Use it in Router mode behind your ISP modem/router, bridge mode or double NAT - whatever is available.
Unlike 802.11ac, which operates in 5 GHz only, 802.11ax radios can transmit and receive either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz frequency bands. For maximum wifi performance we should give up from one of the frequencies and use only 2.4 or 5Ghz antenna under repeater mode.

The Networking Protocols Chart from Intel says that Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) can achieve 600 Mbit/s under 2.4Ghz, that's a huge step forward against Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) at 2.4Ghz reaching only 72 Mbit/s.

My ISP contract provides 500Mbps download and the GT-AX6000 gives me a real wifi signal boost at 2.4Ghz keeping stability during downloads and delivering great performance. A waste that I want to keep but the DNS thing...

Sorry, but I don't think you understand well how Wi-Fi works. How many Wi-Fi 6 devices with 2.4GHz band support do you have?

I hope you understand your Wi-Fi performance is limited by the clients and the same 1-stream N clients will reach the same 72Mbps link speeds.

Sorry, but I don't think you understand well how Wi-Fi works. How many Wi-Fi 6 devices with 2.4GHz band support do you have?

I hope you understand your Wi-Fi performance is limited by the clients and the same 1-stream N clients will reach the same 72Mbps link speeds.
I've 2 laptops, both with Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 cards, 1 ISP router WiFi 6 capable and the GT-AX6000 also WiFi 6 capable. Other devices like playstation, TV, are ethernet connected. Seems to me that exist some harmony here, plz tell me if I'm missing something...

I don't understand the idea behind purchasing $300 router, giving up on all the features it offers and using it as Repeater only. This is a dual-band router and repeated 5GHz band with re-transmissions cuts the throughput to connected devices in half. This is how Repeater works. So not only all the Router features wasted, but also half of the possible Wi-Fi performance. Not sure about the harmony.

Last edited:
I don't understand the idea behind purchasing $300 router, giving up on all the features it offers and using it as Repeater only. This is a dual-band router and repeated 5GHz band with re-transmissions cuts the throughput to connected devices in half. This is how Repeater works. So not only all the Router features wasted, but also half of the possible Wi-Fi performance. Not sure about the harmony.
When the needs are fulfilled and the expected performance are accomplished my worry's are only one at the moment, trying to set DNS nameservers at a router/repeater level. Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!