What's new

Replacement advice for GS-108Tv2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MJMcMahon

Occasional Visitor
Hi all -

it's been a disappointing 24 hours....I got my managed network for my home implemented late last night/early this morning but noticed that the GS-108T was running a bit hot. When I contacted Netgear support, the customer service I received was less than stellar. The rep referred me back to the reseller (Amazon) for replacement, or they'd do an Advance RMA for an additional charge. I objected and am still waiting for the manager to call me back to discuss. The longer I wait, the more I'm reconsidering whether Netgear should be getting my money and am considering alternatives.

My background is in Cisco gear but Cisco's managed switch options for Gigabit capable devices are a bit pricey for a home deployment. The HP 1810-8 port seems to be a capable option, but I wanted to poll the forum for advice. I don't want anything too big because the switch will eventually be re-deployed to replace a Linksys 5-port that is connected to my AV gear. That will take place likely within the next year when I put a Layer 3 switch in place to replace the Cisco 1841 and whatever you recommend in my Den/data center. :)

Suggestions for an 8 - 12 gigabit port managed Layer 2 switch in the <$200 range?

Thx,

Mike

did some poking around and it appears that Cisco's SG200 line fit the bill nicely...IOS it ain't, but videos of the web management interface made it clear that it was very fully featured...I expect I'll be looking at the SG300 when it comes time to shuffle things around.

Thx,

Mike

SG200 are layer 2 only. If you need ip routing, SG300 are layer 3. Big cost difference between the two series.

Thanks rayik - the IP routing is being handled by an 1841 at the moment, but I will likely add an SG300 in a few months.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!