What's new

replacement for E3000? RT-AC66U vs RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oostertoaster

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,
I'm starting to look for a replacement for my E3000 router, and was hoping for some advice.

First, an explanation of why I'm looking to replace it: I haven't really placed a great deal of emphasis on wireless performance in the past (almost all of my clients are wired with the exception of cell-phones and my wife's ipad). However my wife got a chromecast for christmas, and the performance leaves something to be desired. After a bit of investigating it became apparent that the wireless signal strength near my TV isn't very strong (-85 dBm as reported by wifi analyzer). I'm fairly certain this is leading to some terrible playback performance, mainly constant buffering.

Given the E3000's internal antennas, I was wondering if you think a router with decent external antennas might improve my wireless range? I had my eye on either the RT-AC66U or the RT-AC68U from Asus. Is the main difference between these routers the processor used (ARM vs MIPS)?

I should note that since the chromecast doesn't support 5GHz I'm mainly concerned with 2.4GHz at this point.

I'd love to hear what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

I had a similar problem and similar equipment, the E3200. Since I already had cat6 cabling from the basement to the second floor I decided to get an AC66U for the basement (internet in) and move the E3200 upstairs. It's been a great combo that's worked flawlessly for some time. I'm sure it's been more than 1 year now.

I have a tv on the main floor being fed by raspbmc and an Asus usb wireless adapter. Streaming 1080p is no problem as long as it's not dts audio, which chokes the raspberry pi.

I am using 5ghz and signal level is -55dBm, link quality is 55/70 (no idea what that means). Connection is to the ac66u.

Not sure any of that helps but I also have another 2.4ghz router lying around if I want to add g only without ruining the n speed (ps/2 etc.)

More info:
This is E3200 on second floor
Channel:11
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Quality=47/70 Signal level=-63 dBm
Encryption key:eek:n
Channel:149
Frequency:5.745 GHz
Quality=43/70 Signal level=-67 dBm
ac66u in the basement
Channel:6
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=70/70 Signal level=-35 dBm
Channel:165
Frequency:5.825 GHz
Quality=55/70 Signal level=-55 dBm

If you're wondering I'm using 5ghz because there's a pc using 2.4ghz n very close to the raspberry pi and I don't want to share the bandwidth.

Last edited:
Hi All,

After a bit of investigating it became apparent that the wireless signal strength near my TV isn't very strong (-85 dBm as reported by wifi analyzer). I'm fairly certain this is leading to some terrible playback performance, mainly constant buffering.

If it really is -85dBm, that's extremely weak, IME, specifically for video.

Hardwire is always going to be most desirable, if possible.

I tried 6 or 7 different routers last year. (I'm struggling with trying to improve Netflix streaming.) It's not that the signal is particularly weak to the Netflix device, but I was still getting a lot of buffering, low throughput. Some evenings it was horrible. Of all the routers I sampled this past year, the ASUS AC68U was the only device to show a marked improvement in the streaming experience in my home. The AC68U has the implicit beam forming and I now get max signal stength at the Bluray (Netlfix) receiver. Streaming still isn't perfect, but the ASUS is the only router I tried last year that made a significant improvement. They are $$$, but it's likely worth the investment. I've been very impressed with it.

I spent some time this past weekend searching for a dual-band Bluray player but they are few and far between...

There are also other approaches to getting internet to your TV. For example, I'm using MoCA, which uses the coax cables in your walls that carry your cable TV signals for internet as well as cable TV. This turns out to be faster than needed for streaming media, and very robust and reliable as far as maintaining throughput speed goes. I do have adequate signal to use 5GHz. wireless at my entertainment center where my TV is, but prefer the reliability of MoCA. Works really well with the Roku.

You can also try powerline networking for media streaming. I haven't used it, but some people really like it. There are articles and reviews about both of these "hard-wired" line substitutes here at this site.

The best alternative is to use ethernet cable, of course, but I suspect if you could do that easily you would have already *smile*.

The best alternative is to use ethernet cable, of course, but I suspect if you could do that easily you would have already *smile*.

Yup, if cabling was an option I would have already run it :) The chromecast is a wireless only device, unfortunately.

If it really is -85dBm, that's extremely weak, IME, specifically for video.

Hardwire is always going to be most desirable, if possible.

I tried 6 or 7 different routers last year. (I'm struggling with trying to improve Netflix streaming.) It's not that the signal is particularly weak to the Netflix device, but I was still getting a lot of buffering, low throughput. Some evenings it was horrible. Of all the routers I sampled this past year, the ASUS AC68U was the only device to show a marked improvement in the streaming experience in my home. The AC68U has the implicit beam forming and I now get max signal stength at the Bluray (Netlfix) receiver. Streaming still isn't perfect, but the ASUS is the only router I tried last year that made a significant improvement. They are $$$, but it's likely worth the investment. I've been very impressed with it.

I spent some time this past weekend searching for a dual-band Bluray player but they are few and far between...

Is the beam-forming only with the AC68U, or would a router like the N66U also have it? The N66U is a bit cheaper than the AC68U, and I don't have any other AC devices at the moment. Not sure if the AC68U is worth it if the N66U has enough range, etc.

Don't know the answer to that. Sorry. I'm sure someone will chime in with an answer.

Thanks for the quick reply. Did you get a chance to compare the wireless range of the AC66U to the E3200 at all?

Not actual comparisons but the distance covered guesstimated at 20 feet for the E3200 and 15 feel for the ac66. The number and thickness of the walls virtually identical.

If i get a chance this weekend I'll switch the 2 routers and send the new stats from the pi

Not actual comparisons but the distance covered guesstimated at 20 feet for the E3200 and 15 feel for the ac66. The number and thickness of the walls virtually identical.

If i get a chance this weekend I'll switch the 2 routers and send the new stats from the pi

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the ac66 actually has worse range than the E3200? I guess that surprises me given the external vs internal antennas. If true that's good to know

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the ac66 actually has worse range than the E3200? I guess that surprises me given the external vs internal antennas. If true that's good to know

Not understanding correctly. :(
As could be seen there was a significant improvement in signal strength going from the E3200 to the ac66u

This is E3200 on second floor
Quality=47/70 Signal level=-63 dBm

ac66u in the basement
Quality=70/70 Signal level=-35 dBm

I was trying to clarify that part of the increase is almost certainly due to the ac66u being several feet closer to the pi than the E3200

Last edited:
E3200 sitting next to the ac66u

Quality=67/70 Signal level=-43 dBm

Quality=57/70 Signal level=-53 dBm

AC66u
Quality=70/70 Signal level=-37 dBm

Quality=53/70 Signal level=-57 dBm

The scan was run twice to be sure because of the strange 5ghz results but both were identical. E3200 5ghz result was better than ac66u but not 2.4ghz

E3200 sitting next to the ac66u

Quality=67/70 Signal level=-43 dBm

Quality=57/70 Signal level=-53 dBm

AC66u
Quality=70/70 Signal level=-37 dBm

Quality=53/70 Signal level=-57 dBm

The scan was run twice to be sure because of the strange 5ghz results but both were identical. E3200 5ghz result was better than ac66u but not 2.4ghz

Ah, got it, thanks for the explanation!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!