What's new

Replacing a router - minimal needs except for Gigabit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mogulman

Regular Contributor
OK.. I know you guys have seen 100 of these posts a week.... Here's my story....

Trendnet TEW-633GR Router (Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11N 300Mbs router) hooked up to Comcast Cable Internet (50/10 speed - Powerboosts to 65/16). 4 VoIP SIP phone Lines (no need for QoS though). Some Gigabit Switches. The Trendnet Router has gotten flaky where it reboots on its own.

I work from home and have one Desktop PC, my work laptop and HTPC that are using the network the most. Copying files, sometimes streaming media... using the internet. Not so much for bittorrent, but occasionally. Internet streaming HD Video also.

I have 3 other PCs that are only used occasionally, but are also wired Gigabit. I used to use wifi for the Home theatre devices, but got tired of slowness so I wired everything.

Various other electronic devices. A couple of Windows Media Center Extenders using Wired Gigabit.

The main wireless use in our family for wireless has been:
-When I undock my work laptop (dual stream)
-Ipad and ipad 2
-My wife's laptop (dual stream)
-visitors
-Sony PSP
-Nintendo 3DS
-Slacker Radio and Smart phone

Really the Trendnet was good for me, except for the reboots.

I want to be able to have some decent basic router tools, Dynamic DNS, Static DHCP, Port Forwarding. I wanted DLNA Media Streaming too, but can't find a router that does it well.

So I'm thinking I don't really need 5Ghz. 2.4 would be fine. I can reach my entire house with 2.4.

I looked around and got a Belkin 750N. Seemed to work pretty good, but doesn't have Static DHCP.

I'm trying a friend Netgear WNDR4000 and it seems to work Ok.. Has most everything I need except that Dynamic DNS is locked to dyndns.org (not free anymore), but not a big deal.

So my questions are:
-I can get a Netgear 4000 for $120+tax. Should I just stick with one of these. It seems to work OK, except for the DLNA.
-Is there something cheaper or better that I should get, considering that I don't really need 5GHZ and just need gigabit?
-If I use a Netgear 4000 (or something similar that is dual band), should I disable 5GHZ since I really don't need it? Or should I set it up on the laptops/ipads as the primary wifi, since there are other 2.4 spots in our neighborhood? (BTW.. I used Inssider and didn't see any 5GHZ).

The things I'm looking for mostly, in order:
1. Gigabit Ethernet LAN and WAN<->LAN speed
2. Router Stability
3. wifi stability
4. wifi range

BTW.. I was thinking IPv6 might be cool, but not sure if I'll make use of that before the router dies...

You have an option to save money by buying a WiFi router with 100BT LAN ports (since your ISP is no where near that fast), and buy a gigabit switch. PCs connect to switch; switch connects to router.

Range has more to do about where you place the WiFi device and the characteristics of the client devices (laptops, handhelds). Coverage is improved by adding an access point or two if needed.

OK.. I know you guys have seen 100 of these posts a week.... Here's my story....

Trendnet TEW-633GR Router (Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11N 300Mbs router) hooked up to Comcast Cable Internet (50/10 speed - Powerboosts to 65/16). 4 VoIP SIP phone Lines (no need for QoS though). Some Gigabit Switches. The Trendnet Router has gotten flaky where it reboots on its own.

Before you go and buy a new router, try replacing the AC adapter... You won't believe how many times I've seen cheap wall warts cause network instability...

Thanks..Yeah.I understand I could get a router with 100Mb connections. I really need 3 Gigabit ports for devices though. Also, I'm at 50/65 Mbit download right now and may go to 105Mbs sometime this year. I'd rather have gigabit, since the rest of my network is Gigabit.

Also, I have the router, cable modem, and 2 phone adapters on a UPS for power outages. I'd rather not add another wall wart to the UPS.

Good point about the AC Adapter.

Any other suggestions if I do get a device? Something that is really stable?

I'm going to CES this week. I wish one of the manufacturers would make a full featured router that does everything well that they advertise it can do. I doubt I will find it at CES, and even if I do. I'm sure it won't come out until 2013. :)